Monolith M1570 Over Ear Open Back Balanced Planar Headphones
Sep 19, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #526 of 1,015
One thing that surprises me about this headphone, I have never heard a headphone that sounded so good from the outside, too, lol. I mean, I know they're open-backs, I didn't expect any privacy and it's not a problem for me that there is none. But holy cow, even for an open-back, the sound that leaks out is just crystal clear. These headphones sitting on a desk sound better than the cheap PC speakers I have at work.

Sep 20, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #527 of 1,015
I have the M1570s on watchlist at eBay and Today I got offer from Monoprice for 379 USD so I think they have full stock now.
All time when I sit around my PC I have them on my head :) More I listen to them more I'm sure of that they are my final headphones. I like their sound like a well-cut suit. Audio heaven.

Sep 20, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #528 of 1,015
Received my Hart Audio Cable today. After all that waiting, I won't be recommending them.
I needed a 4-Pin XLR termination for my amp. They never once reached out to confirm this. I have some sort of mini female XLR termination that I would have to buy an adapter for (which would also need a pinout change). I don't want to and have lost all interest.

I would say to avoid the M1570 just for the inconvenience of dealing with it's pinout, and for Monoprice not selling a balanced cable of their own to avoid custom shop nonsense.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #529 of 1,015
Received my Hart Audio Cable today. After all that waiting, I won't be recommending them.
I needed a 4-Pin XLR termination for my amp. They never once reached out to confirm this. I have some sort of mini female XLR termination that I would have to buy an adapter for (which would also need a pinout change). I don't want to and have lost all interest.

I would say to avoid the M1570 just for the inconvenience of dealing with it's pinout, and for Monoprice not selling a balanced cable of their own to avoid custom shop nonsense.
I guess you don't know how the HAC system works. The cable is in 2 parts, the cable for the headphone connection, and the termination to the amp. The headphone cable SHOULD be adjusted for the pinouts if you ordered it custom for the M1570. So using a standard 4-pin XLR termination cable from them should be enough. I would reach out to them to confirm.

Sep 20, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #530 of 1,015

Did you tell them that it was for the M1570's? That one has to be ordered through the custom page. Mine works perfectly.

Also, most of their cables are made for their connectors, which are a separate piece. I bought one connector for each amp and then a different cable type for each headphone.

20210919_171159~3.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #531 of 1,015
s

Did you tell them that it was for the M1570's? That one has to be ordered through the custom page. Mine works perfectly.

Also, most of their cables are made for their connectors, which are a separate piece. I bought one connector for each amp and then a different cable type for each headphone.
Yeah, custom shop with M1570 pinout request.
Wouldn't the interconnect also need the pinout to be changed? I wish they mentioned to add the interconnect with the order.

Sep 20, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #533 of 1,015
I'm also very Interested to get the Pro iCAN lately, may I ask at how much you bought It and where?
I bought it used. The amp has been discontinued.

Sep 20, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #534 of 1,015
Yeah, custom shop with M1570 pinout request.
Wouldn't the interconnect also need the pinout to be changed? I wish they mentioned to add the interconnect with the order.
Their whole main deal is the HAC system. It is awesome if you have many headphones and several amps. SO much cheaper than complete custom cables.

If you just ordered the custom cable, they must have assumed you are already into the "system". They should have asked you if you have a connector or want a complete cable.

Sep 21, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #535 of 1,015
Just put my M1570's back on this morning. Using the Pro iCAN, I have to drop to low gain. I don't feel that I am missing anything major from using the HE6es V2's. The stage is not as wide, but it has an up and down. And these don't hurt the top of my head. Today is A-B day for these two headphones.

On iFi Pro iCAN, it is:
1) M1570's - low gain at 10:00-11:00.
2) HE6se V2's - medium gain at 1:00-2:00

Initially I have the same impression: these feel really heavy when you pick them up, but that weight disappears on my head. And the fit is kind of loose.

I have to edit this already. The M1570's lack the slam and dynamics of the HE6se V2's. On the same amp, with full bass boost, the M1570's are not as visceral.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #536 of 1,015
Just put my M1570's back on this morning. Using the Pro iCAN, I have to drop to low gain. I don't feel that I am missing anything major from using the HE6es V2's. The stage is not as wide, but it has an up and down. And these don't hurt the top of my head. Today is A-B day for these two headphones.

Initially I have the same impression: these feel really heavy when you pick them up, but that weight disappears on my head. And the fit is kind of loose.

I have to edit this already. The M1570's lack the slam and the bass of the HE6se V2's. On the same amp, with full bass boost, it is not as visceral.
Are the M1570's an "easier listening", more musical set, would you say?

Sep 21, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #537 of 1,015
Are the M1570's an "easier listening", more musical set, would you say?
Certainly "softer". My testing list is 17 songs and about 1 and 1/4 hrs. long. I am going back and fourth. When the HE6se V2's are on my head, I am absolutely certain that they are the superior headphone by no small measure.
Then I put the M1570's on and everything feels and sounds good. Not as much punch, but very smooth. A very pleasant experience. I think I might be keeping both. Two different ways to do planar's and both are falling into my "really like" zone. If I HAD to get rid of one, it would be the M1570's.

But you have to compare three specs:
1) Sale prices of $399 VS $599

2) M1570's are kind of a loose, sloppy fit. Move your head sharply and they will fall off. The HE6se V2's are KILLING the top of my head and will require Dekoni Nuggets, which I already have. Hurts like the Cascades.

3) The biggie: amp pairing. You can of course play them on anything. But to get their best you are looking at close to the $1,000.00 mark, IMO.
The iFi Pro iCAN is exquisite, but that was like $1,799.00 new (and is now discontinued).
The LP and the Schiit Loki are almost there, but that was $599.00, plus shipping and $149.00, plus shipping. About $850.00ish (about $1,300.00Cdn.).

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #538 of 1,015
This thing is still $400 on eBay and Walmart. I wonder if this is just the regular price now. If so, it renders the Sundara completely irrelevant.

Sep 22, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #539 of 1,015
This thing is still $400 on eBay and Walmart. I wonder if this is just the regular price now. If so, it renders the Sundara completely irrelevant.
This is the longest I've seen it on sale. I think they allocate so many for sale, and keep it going until they sell out of the allotment. If they decide to keep this going ad infinitum, then yeah, welcome to #RIPHifiman, and #RIPSennheiser. What's amusing is that at this price, even with VAT, it's still cheaper than buying it locally in Europe. (You save about 100 Euro) My friend bought one, and he lives in Australia. With shipping it came out to about $440 USD. He should get it in another week - week and half.

What's even more interesting is how good these cans are for gaming. The wide soundstage and awesome spatial imaging is spot on. Add to it the immersion level with the full FR response, and still able to offer upper range detail for sound whoring, you get competitive advantage AND immersion. Now, if only they were lighter....

I was thinking of buying an Audeze LCD-5 headband and yokes. :D

Sep 22, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #540 of 1,015
I had these on today doing an A-B comparison with the HE6se V2's. While the HiFiman's have more slam, impact and deeper bass, the M1570's have a nice smooth sound. The two are definitely not competitors.

I think these will compare more with my HD660's and possibly the Focal Elex's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back