Monolith M1570 Over Ear Open Back Balanced Planar Headphones
Nov 17, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #16 of 1,015
Monoprice-Monolith-M1070-headphones-SoundGuys-IFA-award-2-1200x675.jpg

IFA best headphones of 2019. You know what this mean don't you?
Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!

Nov 29, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #24 of 1,015
Isn't the m1070 the successor of the m1060? I understand that the m1570 should be the best, but I meant by the model name, it would be the most logical to think that,
I suspect that m1070 driver with the same form factor of m1060 with the impedance adjusted to higher in different package, whereas m1570 is completely redesigned against LCD4 with respect to the weight (both are 670 grams) and magnet array with wider center area so that more effective sound generating areas are available.
This more area might produce more realistic sub-bass beyond any of LCD series.

Nov 29, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #26 of 1,015
After all China has the longest history of magnet and produces the largest volume production, more than 85% of neodymium(Super magnet) and 90% praseodymium (magnet stabilizer).
It is not surprising that we get good headphones with affordable prices.
It might be it through these events.

Dec 3, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #28 of 1,015
I got mine in yesterday and here are my first impressions
BtKkL6A

xMPnAOV

Z2WIrPJ

dkbkETL

Build
- Headband has been comfortable and build seems good, the stock cable is actually quite nice. The stock cable is not as soft as a periapt etc... but is a non-issue
- Only weird build quality things are as follows: mini-xlr pinout may be nonstandard, one earcup has more friction/resistance to earcup rotation than the other side, you seem to be able to extend the earcups until they gets off track from the mechanism in the headband.
- Stock velour pads are not angled and much worse quality than the leather/protein leather ones pre-applied to the headphones.
- Stock spacing for the headband may be too wide for the heads of some, so some users may have to bend the top headband to get more clamping force on their ears and get a better seal.
- May be important! The mini-xlr pinout seems to be nonstandard, when I try the ZMF OFC Cable on my THX 788 AMP it triggers overcurrent protection, it remains to be seen if this persists with an actual balanced cable, but I assume this is the case.

Sound
- I have yet to find a flaw, these seem to be jacks of all trades but masters of none. Bass is well extended, but doesnt hit super hard like HE6-SE etc... but I imagine you could EQ it to do what you want. I haven't noticed any peaks or sibilance.
- Dynamics are actually pretty good for headphones at this price point.
- seems to follow the harman curve, with a bit less of a bass shelf.
- Imaging has been solid, and the soundstage was wider than I expected. The isolation is essentially non existent and the pads are quite wide so I imagine its the combination of those two things making that happen.
- Sound is slightly dark.

I am also intrigued to see how they do w/ more power, but IT appears I may have to get a pinout from monoprice and make a cable myself to do so.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #30 of 1,015
I got mine in yesterday and here are my first impressions
BtKkL6A

xMPnAOV

Z2WIrPJ

dkbkETL

Build
- Headband has been comfortable and build seems good, the stock cable is actually quite nice. The stock cable is not as soft as a periapt etc... but is a non-issue
- Only weird build quality things are as follows: mini-xlr pinout may be nonstandard, one earcup has more friction/resistance to earcup rotation than the other side, you seem to be able to extend the earcups until they gets off track from the mechanism in the headband.
- Stock velour pads are not angled and much worse quality than the leather/protein leather ones pre-applied to the headphones.
- Stock spacing for the headband may be too wide for the heads of some, so some users may have to bend the top headband to get more clamping force on their ears and get a better seal.
- May be important! The mini-xlr pinout seems to be nonstandard, when I try the ZMF OFC Cable on my THX 788 AMP it triggers overcurrent protection, it remains to be seen if this persists with an actual balanced cable, but I assume this is the case.

Sound
- I have yet to find a flaw, these seem to be jacks of all trades but masters of none. Bass is well extended, but doesnt hit super hard like HE6-SE etc... but I imagine you could EQ it to do what you want. I haven't noticed any peaks or sibilance.
- Dynamics are actually pretty good for headphones at this price point.
- seems to follow the harman curve, with a bit less of a bass shelf.
- Imaging has been solid, and the soundstage was wider than I expected. The isolation is essentially non existent and the pads are quite wide so I imagine its the combination of those two things making that happen.
- Sound is slightly dark.

I am also intrigued to see how they do w/ more power, but IT appears I may have to get a pinout from monoprice and make a cable myself to do so.

So would you say it sounds like an Audeze?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back