Monolith M1070 Over Ear Open Back Planar Headphones
Jul 7, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #106 of 267
After trying the BRAINWAVZ XL Large Velour Replacement Memory Foam earcups, I noticed a huge improvement over the velour pads that came with the headphones. They are super comfortable as well and the sound seems to stay within the headphones instead of leaking with the default velour pads. I still feel like the default sheepskin pads are the best but those would make my head super hot. I am definitely keeping the Brainwavs pads.

Nov 26, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #107 of 267
For those interested, the M1070 is on sale for $300 right now. https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=39414

I ordered one, even though I probably shouldn't have (Merry Christmas to myself, I guess?). The 1570 is also on sale for $400 if that's the set you have been eyeing. I went for the M1070 because the cable wiring is more standard, the grilles can be removed/replaced, and I'm cheap... Lol. I guess we will see how it stacks up against my other planars.

I was considering getting a M1060C and modding it to be open but the 1070 was only a few dollars more than the $270 1060C sale price that has been on eBay for a while with the added bonus of not having to deal with glued on pads.

Anyway, I hope y'all have a good Thanksgiving! :o2smile:

Nov 30, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #108 of 267
For those interested, the M1070 is on sale for $300 right now. https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=39414

I ordered one, even though I probably shouldn't have (Merry Christmas to myself, I guess?). The 1570 is also on sale for $400 if that's the set you have been eyeing. I went for the M1070 because the cable wiring is more standard, the grilles can be removed/replaced, and I'm cheap... Lol. I guess we will see how it stacks up against my other planars.

I was considering getting a M1060C and modding it to be open but the 1070 was only a few dollars more than the $270 1060C sale price that has been on eBay for a while with the added bonus of not having to deal with glued on pads.

Anyway, I hope y'all have a good Thanksgiving! :o2smile:

You won't be disappointed. The M1070 are a sleeper hit with a good amp and a little tweaking. I added a Bellari EQ along with my Monoprice THX 889 and couldn't be happier.

Nov 30, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #109 of 267
You won't be disappointed. The M1070 are a sleeper hit with a good amp and a little tweaking. I added a Bellari EQ along with my Monoprice THX 889 and couldn't be happier.

That's good to hear. My pair should be delivered tomorrow! #GetHyped

Nov 30, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #110 of 267
Hey guys. I just joined HeadFi to hop into this convo. I bought the M1070's and they are most certainly great cans. I've tried: Meze 99 Neo, Cleer Next, Hifiman HE400i 2020, Sundura, Philips Fidelio and 3x different models of Sivga. The Monolith and Meze are by far the best sounding to me, out of this batch.

My only complaint like some of you is the headband, which I will be replacing with the V560V2 from Adorama.

Question to those who have done this: As far as the earcup pins go, does the V560V2 swap require these or are they just snap-in?

Dec 1, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #111 of 267
So my M1070 arrived this afternoon and I've been listening for a couple of hours out of my Emotiva BasX A-100 (jumper is NOT installed). So here are my early impressions.

Build:
Honestly, not as bad as some have made it out to be. The headband particularly seems to be a point of contention. However, for me, with them one click short of fully extended they are pretty comfortable for me. Not quite as comfortable as my modded M1060 but the M1070 is far from uncomfortable. Clamp is light but it's enough that it stays put on my head, even when looking down or shaking from side to side. The leather pads adhering to my skin (I have a shaved head) helps it say in place.

Cups feel a little cheap but look okay. I'll take plastic cups to not have to deal with the wood cracking on the M1060. Headband also looks nice and doesn't creak or anything like that. The included cable is pretty nice. A little stiff but it's sturdy and looks and feels nice. I hope they sell these separately on the website at some point. I have several dual-entry 3.5mm headphones that could use an affordable, quality 2 meter cable like this.

Sound:
Bass is there and well-extended but isn't overpowering.It EQs up nicely though if you want more kick. Texture is also pretty decent.

Midrange. This was the first thing I noticed when I started listening. It's rich, full and smooth. Well-recorded vocals are a treat on this headphone.

Highs are polite, but pretty detailed. Not Elex or DT1990 levels of detail but the M1070 also is easier to listen to. On my standard headphone test playlist I actually haven't skipped anything because it all just sounds good.

Imaging is okay, but seems a little blobby right now when listening to my standard imaging songs.

Soundstage is interesting because it has a larger range than I'm used to. Some songs like "Letter" by Yosi Horikawa sound completely in your head with no soundstage at all. It actually sounded so different than I'm used to, I thought something was broken for a second. But wider orchestral songs sound stepped back and very open.

Overall, these remind me a lot of my HE-400 with sheepskin Ori pads except better refined in the highs and a midrange that's a little less forward but just as buttery smooth. Since the HE-400 is one of my favorite headphones, that's high praise indeed for the M1070 right out of the box. Given how much M1060 improved with a more open, transparent grille, I think that will be the first thing I will try after doing some more listening/burn in.

Dec 1, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #112 of 267
So my M1070 arrived this afternoon and I've been listening for a couple of hours out of my Emotiva BasX A-100 (jumper is NOT installed). So here are my early impressions.

Build:
Honestly, not as bad as some have made it out to be. The headband particularly seems to be a point of contention. However, for me, with them one click short of fully extended they are pretty comfortable for me. Not quite as comfortable as my modded M1060 but the M1070 is far from uncomfortable. Clamp is light but it's enough that it stays put on my head, even when looking down or shaking from side to side. The leather pads adhering to my skin (I have a shaved head) helps it say in place.

Cups feel a little cheap but look okay. I'll take plastic cups to not have to deal with the wood cracking on the M1060. Headband also looks nice and doesn't creak or anything like that. The included cable is pretty nice. A little stiff but it's sturdy and looks and feels nice. I hope they sell these separately on the website at some point. I have several dual-entry 3.5mm headphones that could use an affordable, quality 2 meter cable like this.

Sound:
Bass is there and well-extended but isn't overpowering.It EQs up nicely though if you want more kick. Texture is also pretty decent.

Midrange. This was the first thing I noticed when I started listening. It's rich, full and smooth. Well-recorded vocals are a treat on this headphone.

Highs are polite, but pretty detailed. Not Elex or DT1990 levels of detail but the M1070 also is easier to listen to. On my standard headphone test playlist I actually haven't skipped anything because it all just sounds good.

Imaging is okay, but seems a little blobby right now when listening to my standard imaging songs.

Soundstage is interesting because it has a larger range than I'm used to. Some songs like "Letter" by Yosi Horikawa sound completely in your head with no soundstage at all. It actually sounded so different than I'm used to, I thought something was broken for a second. But wider orchestral songs sound stepped back and very open.

Overall, these remind me a lot of my HE-400 with sheepskin Ori pads except better refined in the highs and a midrange that's a little less forward but just as buttery smooth. Since the HE-400 is one of my favorite headphones, that's high praise indeed for the M1070 right out of the box. Given how much M1060 improved with a more open, transparent grille, I think that will be the first thing I will try after doing some more listening/burn in.

I think the first thing to try is replacing the pleathor pads with the plushy ones, then gently bend the headband above the yoke to increase the clamp force. Watch Zeos's video and do what he did.

Dec 4, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #113 of 267
So I have been doing a lot of listening to the M1070 over the past couple of days and I have formed some more thoughts on it.

First, the smell was/is very strong. The first day it gave me headache. It's seems to have lessened a bit but it still has a distinct smell. I think it's whatever the leather was treated with.

That leads me to my second thing. While I saw that on the website that it said that the earpads were genuine leather, I had some doubts since I have been burned before. However, as someone that hates fake leather with a fiery passion, I can safely say with 100% confidence that these are genuine leather. They breathe so my ears don't sweat to death, it has a leathery smell, and oil from my skin doesn't make them go shiny. The headband (at least the bottom that contacts the head), surprisingly, is also real leather as far as I can tell.

I have tried removing/replacing the grilles with the pink noise method and it seems the grilles make a very small negative difference on the sound. Not nearly as much as the M1060. I suspect this is probably partially due to the fazor guides on the back of the driver. But despite the very small difference the grilles make I will be making some new grilles (I ordered my first 3D printer today....), if nothing else so they match my M1060.

I think the first thing to try is replacing the pleathor pads with the plushy ones, then gently bend the headband above the yoke to increase the clamp force. Watch Zeos's video and do what he did.

I also tried the velour pads that it came with. While they didn't sound terrible with them, it totally took all of the impact and slam out of the bass (not really a surprise). I can still hear the driver firing but it has no force behind it. The velour pads also boosted the highs slightly (also no surprise) and despite being shallower, I had to turn up my amp more to get the same volume level. It also took out all of the gooey goodness out of the midrange which was one of my favorite aspects (yet again, no surprise). Lastly, it makes the headphone a lot more unstable on the head since they are shallower and don't seal to the head the same way as the leather ones do. Needless to say, I have gone back to the leather pads since the bass alone is so much better (I'm a bit of a basshead).

And lastly, I don't like the cable as much as I first did. It's stiffness lends towards not untwisting itself so it can kink/tangle too easily. Liveable, but not ideal. Bummer.

Dec 13, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #115 of 267
Here is my modded M1070. I only modded the headband for better clamp force and stabilization on the head. The sound improve dramatically, better bass response due to better seal which also help balance out the sound. They sound really good now. I also tried the Dekoni microsuede pads for Audeze on M1070. They turned the M1070 into HD6xx. The subbass and treble extension are gone. The oem sheepskin pads are still the best imo.
diqGFK5.jpg
Did you bend it before added that thing to headband?

Dec 16, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #116 of 267
I had those headphones by chance, ended is the can I use the most. Full body sound, with the right amplifier because are quite hungry.
Only one severe issue: the weight! :smile_phones:
....and the smell...

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #117 of 267
I had those headphones by chance, ended is the can I use the most. Full body sound, with the right amplifier because are quite hungry.
Only one severe issue: the weight! :smile_phones:
....and the smell...
I don't have weight issue with M1070. But the smell make me feel sick. I have to putted grapefruit's crusted into the case for dispelling the smell

Dec 17, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #119 of 267
Have to do this because of smell. M1070 not heavy or discomfort like i imagine
IMG_20201217_131640.jpg

Dec 17, 2020 at 5:06 AM Post #120 of 267
Here is my modded M1070. I only modded the headband for better clamp force and stabilization on the head. The sound improve dramatically, better bass response due to better seal which also help balance out the sound. They sound really good now. I also tried the Dekoni microsuede pads for Audeze on M1070. They turned the M1070 into HD6xx. The subbass and treble extension are gone. The oem sheepskin pads are still the best imo.
diqGFK5.jpg
very interesting, where the extra headband coming from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back