Monolith M1070 Over Ear Open Back Planar Headphones
May 16, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #92 of 267
Hi,

I’m looking for replacement ear pads for the M1070. Does not seem to be any. Do you know if M1070 is same size as M1060?
There are Brainwavz XL Micro Suede I could try but it is for the M1060.

Is there some youtube link that shows how to replace the ear pads on the M1070? I saw some reviews stating it is difficult to replacement but does not mention how.

Thanks

May 28, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #93 of 267
Here is my modded M1070. I only modded the headband for better clamp force and stabilization on the head. The sound improve dramatically, better bass response due to better seal which also help balance out the sound. They sound really good now. I also tried the Dekoni microsuede pads for Audeze on M1070. They turned the M1070 into HD6xx. The subbass and treble extension are gone. The oem sheepskin pads are still the best imo.
diqGFK5.jpg

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #94 of 267
Hi,

I’m looking for replacement ear pads for the M1070. Does not seem to be any. Do you know if M1070 is same size as M1060?
There are Brainwavz XL Micro Suede I could try but it is for the M1060.

Is there some youtube link that shows how to replace the ear pads on the M1070? I saw some reviews stating it is difficult to replacement but does not mention how.

Thanks

The cups are the same size between the M1060 and M1070. However, M1070 does not use glue for pads. Earpads replacement is relatively easy. It is the same process of replacing earpads on Beyerdynamics headphones. Have a look at this video:

May 28, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #97 of 267
Thanks. The brainwave xl is correct size but the leather side that attaches to the headphones requires trimming.

Monoprice stated they will not offer any replacement pads for sale.
For now, the OEM sheepskin pads is enough to satisfy me. How does brainwave xl sounds? About the headband, I basically just attract the headband of Sol Republic headphones onto the M1070. It's effective, easy, cheap, and reversible. Something likes this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/114239455697

May 28, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #98 of 267
Hi,

I did not listen long enough. I could not hear much of a difference good or bad. I tried their micro suede. I’m sticking to the stock velour ones for now.

That’s very cool you were able to mod and make it better.

Do you EQ yours? Do you find it sounding better once EQ is used?

I’ve only had these and the HE-4xx. Definitely wider and deeper sound. The m1570 looks
very attractive sound wise but the weight is just crazy.

May 28, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #99 of 267
Hi,

I did not listen long enough. I could not hear much of a difference good or bad. I tried their micro suede. I’m sticking to the stock velour ones for now.

That’s very cool you were able to mod and make it better.

Do you EQ yours? Do you find it sounding better once EQ is used?

I’ve only had these and the HE-4xx. Definitely wider and deeper sound. The m1570 looks
very attractive sound wise but the weight is just crazy.
Hi,
I don't really EQ headphones since I like the differences between headphones. The combinations of different songs and how different each headphones sound really interest me. I tried the m1570. They are a bit more open sounding than the m1070 with similar type but improved tonality comparing to the m1070 , but the weight is too heavy and the similarly flimpsy headbands cannot support the heavier weight. I just cannot wear them for more than 30 mins.

Jun 6, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #100 of 267
This forum is not having much activity. M1070 is not as a hot seller as the M1060 before it? I'm thinking hard if I should go with all IEM or try the Sundara. Heard the silent revision is the best bang for your buck.

Jun 6, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #101 of 267
This forum is not having much activity. M1070 is not as a hot seller as the M1060 before it? I'm thinking hard if I should go with all IEM or try the Sundara. Heard the silent revision is the best bang for your buck.

I heard Sundara, it has an airy thinner sound than M1070. It sounds great too, different sound signature than M1070. M1070 has nice mid bass and sound stage. I could only get it buying at used price. I never heard M1060.

I’m finally happy with M1070 and no longer keep searching yearning for higher cost ones.

I switch between he-4xx and M1070. If you can find either Sundara or M1070 at used prices, they are great find.

Jul 1, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #104 of 267
I just got a pair of these and they are amazing! I had tried the Sundara's, HD 58X, DT 990 PRO and by far these sound better in almost ever way. I love bass and these have satisfied my bass crave. The head clamp on these is definitely light and I need to find out what clip YoungVolcano used in order to mod it. I also agree that the Sheepskin ear cup make these sound really good. The only reason I am using the velour cups is because it does not heat up my head. I ordered the BRAINWAVZ XL Large Velour Replacement Memory Foam earcups to see if they will be better than the velour cups that come with the headphones. The stock velour cups do feel like they let too much sound out so hopefully with the memory foam velour, they feel almost as good or as good as the sheepskin ear cup.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #105 of 267
Ever since I added a tube preamp for extra warmth and fixed my Topping DX7s and Monoprice THX 887 gain voltage issue on balanced, the M1070 has really blown me away. The M1070 takes full advantage of the added tube warmth which rounds out the sound really well. Clarity and soundstage are excellent. I have not heard a headphone ~$350 sound anywhere near this good or well rounded. The whole stack is a treat to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back