Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions
Jan 7, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #947 of 1,409
I use mine fully extended. I think it’s just a tad shorter. I just made some 115mm fazor pad adapters for mine to go with the 115mm round Ali pads. The opening in the bigger pads are the exact same size as the driver opening. I also made the fazor pads thinner which I think helped with the bass. I can’t believe how much better these sound now. No more piano ringing. Everything is just clearer and more miss. Not so dark. When I get back home I’ll throw up the updated fazor pad I made if someone wants to give it a shot. I think the slightly shorter peak on the fazors made a big difference

Jan 7, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #948 of 1,409
Damn, I got myself to print the black version of the slotted rounded grille like yours with the orange felt inside. I planned to put stainles steel net inside; like LCD-GX has.

Jan 11, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #949 of 1,409
wj1Q2nN.jpg
ZoDVu5G.jpg

Got distracted from making the LCD-GX look when I realized how good ZMF headphones look. Well, my first 3D model and I came up with this. Side slots and shape are inspired from ZMF, and the open back is just what I came up with at work. Then sanded, walnut stain look and finishing oil. They look a lot of red in the pic, they are IRL more dark brown.

I'll post Thingiverse link to these after I get approval for new user.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4096252

It should be published now.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #950 of 1,409
That looks amazing!!! How do the cups effect the sound? I cant get my wood pla to stain properly, atleast not like yours

Jan 12, 2020 at 1:17 AM Post #951 of 1,409
It doesn't seem to effect so much when compared when the cups are off. I didn't hear any difference.

I stained these with a stain with thinner in them, like paint thinner. I did stain them with a sweeping across using sponge and straight surfaces like the top of the cup needed a lot of stipple work to get the result. I also used it all around to get the look I wanted, so it was like painting the cups with the stain. Hope this helps to get nice results.

Jan 14, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #952 of 1,409
Hey guys/gals. I was wondering if any of you that have converted your M1060C to open back would be willing to sell me your wooden cups? I sold my M1060C a long time ago and didn't really give them a shot as open backs because I loved my modded M1060's so much already. Well, I bought another set. Problem is they are already partially modded and do not have the ear cups, and I'd like to hear them both ways again. I'll post up a thread in the sale section as well, but if anyone has a set they don't mind letting go of let me know, thanks.

Jan 16, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #953 of 1,409
Ok, now I did remember to publish the wood cups. It was a bit hidden after all but hope someone would enjoy them. I put a semi closed version there too.

Jan 20, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #954 of 1,409
I got the HE-560 headband for my modded M1060C installed, I'll get it painted as soon as it's warm enough outside. So far the mods are some Vesper Audio alcantara pads, removed the thick felt pad on the grill side and replaced it with some speaker grill material, and added some dynamat strips in a few places to tame a tiny bit of vibration in the cups I didn't like. I also have some awesome laser cut custom wooden grills being made for them. So far I'm really enjoying them, maybe even more than my modded M1060.

Jan 25, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #955 of 1,409
So, I noticed that they do reflect some of the sound back and make them feel like semi open instead of fully open. So I needed earlier to order more wood PLA and I designed and made new cups. I really need some medical assistance with the phase of making these cups all the time.

But these got inspiration from verite closed and and the grille got inspiration from Sendy Aiva.

HnASWmY.jpg
gBhjs1Y.jpg

These are in Thingiverse here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4128355

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #956 of 1,409
Jan 25, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #957 of 1,409
So, I noticed that they do reflect some of the sound back and make them feel like semi open instead of fully open. So I needed earlier to order more wood PLA and I designed and made new cups. I really need some medical assistance with the phase of making these cups all the time.

But these got inspiration from verite closed and and the grille got inspiration from Sendy Aiva.

HnASWmY.jpg
gBhjs1Y.jpg

What, who are you. I wish I could casually produce high quality mods

Jan 25, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #958 of 1,409

HnASWmY.jpg
gBhjs1Y.jpg
Wow, they are beautiful....will you be making them for sale?
Tony

Jan 26, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #959 of 1,409
What, who are you. I wish I could casually produce high quality mods

I'm just some ordinary guy who loves to do cool stuff. Thanks for the comment, really nice to have nice feedback!

Jan 26, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #960 of 1,409
Wow, they are beautiful....will you be making them for sale?
Tony

So first things first. I live in Finland so sending them will cost some money. But from the feedback now I decided to ask what would you people pay for these cups? It takes about 6+ hours to finish the prints and making the grilles, and around 15-20 hours on printing. If I'd make them from order, I thought would it be too much to ask for 70-80$ per pair and you pay for the shipping (I'll ask it before hand if you are interested).

I also thought that would anyone be interested cups I made before?

PVNVOT0.jpg

These are made from PLA wood and made to have a wallnut coloring. It also has these very thin cloth grilles to make them look nicer. These reflect sound A TINY BIT. You can hear it if you are looking for it hard. Otherwise they are 99,99% as good as fully open hex grilles.

UGXmP3a.jpg

These did reflect a little bit sound back. I didn't notice it until playing Killing Floor 2 after around 1-2 weeks of use. It sounded like it was 20% closed, and after that I did notice it if was comparing them for open ones. So they are quite nice even tho being a quite closed.

Colours are wallnut on the right and dark oak on the left.

If you are interested in the made to order new design or these older ones shoot me a PM. I don't know what to ask from the older ones, 40$ for the vertical slot and 50$ for the two semi-closed design? Maybe?

And if you will, please let me know what do you think pricing on the new design that I would make from orders.

Thanks again for the comments on my modding journey!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back