Mono sound over stereo headphones
Jun 6, 2012 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

lpkdoop

New Head-Fier
I broke my plug a long time ago. I had soldered the wires from another plug to my headphones plug and that worked for the longest time. The solder just recently came undone, so I decided to redo it.

Now my headphones play mono (same level out of both ears).

Any ideas? 

Jun 6, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #2 of 5
More info might help. Is the 'phone connection a straight cable in or a split to left and right. Have you double checked all cable connections including any into the 'phone itself? Is the material your are listening to Stereo and not Mono? What are the 'phones plugged into? Have you double checked your work (preferably with a mulitmeter). I suspect you may have overheated the connector with the soldering iron, but unless there is some compensatory capable circuitry in the 'phone I don't see the mono to 2 channel thing happening. Are they powered 'phones (al la Noise cancelling)? Also if you are plugged into a computer have you checked the settings to ensure you have not accidentally changed something.

Mono I get, into both ears is odd and suggests a short between L and R and not to ground (or a source issue). Is the volume significantly lower or higher than you would expect?

Do you have another set of 'phones lying around? buds even, something you can use to prove out it is the 'phones.

Jun 6, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #3 of 5
you messed up the ground connection. 

95% sure. 

The alternate is that you soldered both "signal" wires to the same signal connection on the plug. Much less likely. 

Probe it out with a multimeter and see what you got. 

Jun 6, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
More info might help. Is the 'phone connection a straight cable in or a split to left and right. Have you double checked all cable connections including any into the 'phone itself? Is the material your are listening to Stereo and not Mono? What are the 'phones plugged into? Have you double checked your work (preferably with a mulitmeter). I suspect you may have overheated the connector with the soldering iron, but unless there is some compensatory capable circuitry in the 'phone I don't see the mono to 2 channel thing happening. Are they powered 'phones (al la Noise cancelling)? Also if you are plugged into a computer have you checked the settings to ensure you have not accidentally changed something.

Mono I get, into both ears is odd and suggests a short between L and R and not to ground (or a source issue). Is the volume significantly lower or higher than you would expect?

Do you have another set of 'phones lying around? buds even, something you can use to prove out it is the 'phones.

Beyerdynamic MMX 300
Split left and right
I've checked all the connections.

I am gonna redo the ground just to make sure. I don't think I over heated it as I do quite a bit of soldering.

Quote:
you messed up the ground connection. 

95% sure. 

The alternate is that you soldered both "signal" wires to the same signal connection on the plug. Much less likely. 

Probe it out with a multimeter and see what you got. 

Thanks

Aug 18, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #5 of 5
Should I consider just sending this in to repair center for recabling?

The microphone is beginning to short as well. Also, I have learned this my soundcard does this no matter what, so I am back to on board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back