Monk or Mingus?
Aug 4, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never heard about any of them, so voted "I won't choose,..."

X2

Aug 7, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #18 of 32
Just realized I hadn't voted in my own poll. I think I'm going with Mingus on this one, strictly because of his more varied recorded output. I was listening to a college jazz station in someone's car the other day, and the DJ spotlighted Mingus through a succession of his pianists. First, there was stuff with Mal Waldron, then Jaki Byard and finally Don Pullen. It ended up being a great way to address Mingus' breadth.

Aug 7, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suspect that Monk can play piano much better than Mingus but Mingus has the edge when playing string bass.

obviously they have to be compared as composers, not instrumentalists.. wouldn't make sense!

i voted for Monk... several of his compositions became instant standards of the bop and post-bop era, he introduced an entirely new element of syncopation into jazz and his style is immediately recognizable.

i love both Mingus and Monk, but the latter had a wider and deeper impact on jazz.

plus, i named my cat after him.

Aug 7, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #20 of 32
You mean a certain style of syncopation? Certainly syncopation was not even remotely new to jazz. Do you care to expand a bit on that comment?

And actually, there might be a few willing to argue that Mingus had more technical skill on the piano, as he was quite an accomplished player.

Aug 7, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
obviously they have to be compared as composers, not instrumentalists.. wouldn't make sense!

i voted for Monk... several of his compositions became instant standards of the bop and post-bop era, he introduced an entirely new element of syncopation into jazz and his style is immediately recognizable.

i love both Mingus and Monk, but the latter had a wider and deeper impact on jazz.

plus, i named my cat after him.

mmmm...... I don't agree that Monk had a deeper impact on jazz. I would say its about even.

Aug 7, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mmmm...... I don't agree that Monk had a deeper impact on jazz. I would say its about even.

It's really hard to say. The sonic eccentricities Monk introduced into music, not just jazz, are probably more audible, I think. Some of them even crop up in Mingus's work. That said, I kinda feel like there's no right or wrong answer, and I'm not sure how much any individual's preferences are totally grounded in questions of historical significance.

May 8, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #26 of 32
Just came across this thread again and it made me Wonder if there're some new Head-fiers who might wanna participate.

May 8, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #27 of 32
Can't choose but I am going to listen some more and maybe decide

Aug 14, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #28 of 32
Another year goes by…bump-diddy-bump-diddy-bump. Let's see if any new Head-fiers wanna weigh in on an issue of the utmost significance. The actual poll can't be resurrected (I don't think), but the choices were:

Thelonious Monk

Charles Mingus

Won't choose (and you can't make me)

Aug 15, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #30 of 32
Years back it was definitely Monk.  Now it's definitely Mingus.  Hard to explain why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back