Monitors and floorstanders take up same amount of space.
Feb 6, 2009 at 9:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

MatsudaMan

aka JohannesBrahms, KittlesLittles, Bigglesworth.
I keep on reading about people who buy such and such monitor speaker to replace their floorstander because of lack of space. Assuming you have a good monitor/bookshelf speaker, you must use stands and they take up just as much space as your average floorstander. so what's the deal with this silly argument anyways? Just because it takes up less cubic foot volume, doesn't mean it doesn't take up as much space. Floorspace is floorspace.

Just a silly rant. I know.

Feb 7, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #3 of 4
Sometimes floorstanders are too big for a room. Bookshelves image better in smaller rooms. I dont have floor space for the speakers i really want so ill settle for bookshelves and a sub.

Feb 7, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #4 of 4
how does cubic volume have the same importance as floorspace. it's not like you're going to be floating objects in mid-air in your room. I mean if your speaker stand is taking up the space on the floor, it's not like you're going to be putting something in between the base of the stand and your speakers. So, if you're speaker stand base takes up like a 12"x12", that's floorspace you're not going to be using, whether it's a stand or a floorstanding speaker.

As for the value, when you factor in how much good stands cost, you might as well get a floorstander with a two way configuration. For example Totem arros image like a monitor but without the cost of fancy speaker stands. Take up probably less space than a speaker stands.

I just bought a pair of Spendor s5e floorstanders and they're tiny, take up less space than my previous monitors on stands.

I just think the whole idea of bookshelf speakers taking up less space is kind of overrated and sometimes downright wrong. Especially, when there are so many small footprint floorstanders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back