Monitor Headphones | $350 and Under, what should I get?
Nov 19, 2014 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Inphyre

New Head-Fier
For quite some time now, I have been eyeing quite a few headphones. Most especially Audio Technica's M40X and M50X, as well as AKG's K/Q701. I have had no experience with any of these headphones whatsoever and was hoping anyone could help me pick out one of the best headphones for studio use with a budget of $350 or less. Any suggestions? 
biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 4
  For quite some time now, I have been eyeing quite a few headphones. Most especially Audio Technica's M40X and M50X, as well as AKG's K/Q701. I have had no experience with any of these headphones whatsoever and was hoping anyone could help me pick out one of the best headphones for studio use with a budget of $350 or less. Any suggestions? 
biggrin.gif

If you are looking for the most neutral headphones then you should consider AKG K702, Sennheiser HD600 and Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro. All of them need some extra amplification to sound good (something like Schiit Magni, JDS O2 or even the little Fiio E10K)

If you are not getting an amp you should consider Sennheiser HD598, AudioTechnica AD900x and maybe Shure SRH-1440.

These are all open back headphones that don't provide isolation.

If you are after some pretty neutral closed back headphones you may be interested in Shure SRH-940, SoundMagic HP150 (slightly warm) and AKG K550.

Best Luck!

Nov 19, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #3 of 4

If you are looking for the most neutral headphones then you should consider AKG K702, Sennheiser HD600 and Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro. All of them need some extra amplification to sound good (something like Schiit Magni, JDS O2 or even the little Fiio E10K)

If you are not getting an amp you should consider Sennheiser HD598, AudioTechnica AD900x and maybe Shure SRH-1440.

These are all open back headphones that don't provide isolation.

If you are after some pretty neutral closed back headphones you may be interested in Shure SRH-940, SoundMagic HP150 (slightly warm) and AKG K550.

Best Luck!

Nailed it.  I second this advice.

Nov 20, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the suggestions, and I'm definitely going to opt-in for an amplifier regardless of what headphone I am going to get. So I've decided to lean towards the AKG K550, but have managed to lurk upon the K545 during the process. Any opinions on those? Apparently the treble isn't as harsh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back