Monitor Audio Bronze B1 owners out there??
Mar 29, 2006 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

dudlew

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

Just about to pick up some Monitor Audio Bronze B1 speakers. I think I got them for a good deal... $150 new for the pair. So I jumped at them. I have been trying to get some opinions on them though. These will be used for either computer listening and/or for a second audio system.

So whats your opinion an these little babies???

D

Mar 29, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #2 of 29
Nice price! I was considering these before I bought my Wharfedales. Some of the reviewers found that they were a little on the bright side but otherwise excellent. I believe What HiFi wrote up a very favorable review of them. What are your impressions?

Mar 29, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #3 of 29
I think they're great!

Not that you should trust me, because I've never heard them. I was in the market for bookshelves a few years ago and was really curious about these because I figured the front-firing ports would work particularly well in my room. This was before Good Guys started selling Monitor Audio, so I couldn't find anyplace nearby to audition them.

They're supposed to be mellower (smoother? more accurate? more British?) than the Paradigm Mini-Monitors that I ended up with. $150 is a great price if they're in decent shape...let us know what you think!

Mar 29, 2006 at 11:06 PM Post #4 of 29
That's a GREAT price for a great budget speaker.
Why are they so cheap? That's probably dealer cost ($300 USD regular MSRP)

Mar 30, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #5 of 29
Well they are new. I too was shocked at the price. I didnt know the cost of these otherwise but figured that the price was a steel.

The seller won them in a competition of sorts and had no need for them. I just happened to come up on the add at audiogon, contacted the seller and just about payed for them. With where I live, it would be about two weeks before I get them. So no impressions yet. I have never owned or heard Monitor Audio speakers, but have owned the B&W DM601 original series and own the NHT ST4 and Mission M30i. I don't know where the MAs will fall in this group, but hopefully better than the Missions and close to equal the B&Ws.

I was checking here to see who might have heard these or owned them, and were willing to share their impressions.

edit: I would also love to know what would be a good budget reciever to run these. I am looking at the JVC Digital reciever ($150)line and the pioneer universal player ($150)to round out this budget system. I want to replace the Nikko for convenience of the remote control and more modern amenidties
smily_headphones1.gif

D

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #6 of 29
At $150.00, they're a steal. I heard them, along with the Bronze B2 and the Energy Connoisseur C-3, when I was auditioning speakers for my current system. At that time, the B1 were retaing for $300.00/pair and the other 2 speakers were going for roughly $400.00/pair. They sounded very good and I think they will sound especially good with vocals. I eventually chose the C-3 but Monitor Audio B1/B2 are winners IMHO.

Mar 30, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by dudlew
edit: I would also love to know what would be a good budget reciever to run these. I am looking at the JVC Digital reciever ($150)line and the pioneer universal player ($150)to round out this budget system. I want to replace the Nikko for convenience of the remote control and more modern amenidties
smily_headphones1.gif

Try the Teac Distinction A1-D integrated amp for $175

Mar 30, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #8 of 29
i gave them a listen about a year ago, and the marked price on them was $350-$400 i think. i thought they were about on par with other things in that price range. a little bit of a bass hump, but that might have been because of poor placement.

for $150, though.. you can't lose.. GREAT deal.

Apr 18, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #9 of 29
Ok so I just got these. I am burning them in now and have to go back to work, so i will leave them on with some Seal playing.

Initially, they seem to blow away the Missions in dynamics and opennes. But this is just an observation but not a direct comparison. that will come later. it seems to integrate better with the sub as well because I can set the sub crossover lower. it sounds more seamless.

But I will wait a till later and then a few days as I let them burn in and let you know what i feel about them in comparison to the missions.

D

Apr 18, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #11 of 29
Well I wont be able to do the NHT comparo soundboy. They are on a different island. That is why I am building this second one, so I can have decent music on the island where I work.

That would have been a great comparo too. Not for scale or dynamics of course, but for detail and musicality. I am surprised as is right now given what I payed for them. They easily handle the power better than the missions. At the loud volume levels, you have to keep a close eye on the Missions as you are afraid that the driver will explode. With the same volume settings the Monitor audios are under much better control, no sign of being on the verge of over excursion. As I said, I will listen to them a bit more later and do a comparo with different styles of music. Both without the sub. A bit unfair as the Mission's bass driver is smaller, but I paid only $50 more for the Monitor Audios, so lets call it fair on the value front
smily_headphones1.gif

D

Apr 19, 2006 at 4:02 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphony
I have a full B2 AV 1 series with B1's in back and B2's up front. I totally love it.
eggosmile.gif
The B1's are great and would be fine in a stand-alone 2.0 set-up themselves.

The B2 are awesome speakers....it was quite a hard decision between my Energy C-3 and the MA B2.

Apr 19, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
The B2 are awesome speakers....it was quite a hard decision between my Energy C-3 and the MA B2.

I'm actually in the same predicament. What amp are you using, and which speakers did you finally go with (I'm assuimg the B2s as you are commenting on their performance)? I'm considering the Panny SA-XR55/57 for an amp, which considered as a rather bright amp by some (avsforums thread), though it also apparently mellows slightly over time (whether its the user or amp breaking-in, take your choice). Any helpful thoughts, musings or advice? It'd be greatly appreciated.

Apr 19, 2006 at 7:52 AM Post #15 of 29
I'm using a Marantz SR 4600 to drive the 5.1 set-up. (B2 x 2, B1 x 2, B centre, and ASW100) I chose the amp not because of any expected synergies, but because I got a good deal on it and was really impatient about getting my system up at the time. I don't regret the choice as it sounds very good. I'm still looking at upgrading eventually to an HK AVR 440 or 640 when they become available. I've heard of good synergies between HK amps and MA speakers. The Panny SA-XR55 seems like a great av-receiver for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back