Momentum VS MDR-1R?
Jan 11, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #16 of 101
I liked the MDR-1R better, IMO.

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #17 of 101
I didn't like the Momentums at all. I preferred the MDR1r to them by a lot. That said the sonys weren't what I was looking for and am now selling mine. The most comfy phones I have had, but not the sound I'm looking for.

The momentums, can't explain it...they felt great and uber nice, but I was so dissapointed when I heard them. Especially for $350.

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #18 of 101
Quote:
I didn't like the Momentums at all. I preferred the MDR1r to them by a lot. That said the sonys weren't what I was looking for and am now selling mine. The most comfy phones I have had, but not the sound I'm looking for.

The momentums, can't explain it...they felt great and uber nice, but I was so dissapointed when I heard them. Especially for $350.

Out of interest, where did you hear them? I first listened to them in an Apple store and wasn't that impressed, I thought they were too dark. Then I tried them in another store out of my own ipod and was surprised that they were not as dark as I'd first thought. I assume the apple store has them plugged into a source with sound enhancers and heavy bass-boost. 

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #19 of 101
The Momentums don't use real leather either. Sennheiser I thought doesn't use leather on their products?? I could be wrong though.

I just got the MDR-1R and I'm really liking them a lot. Build quality is really good on them, I'm still burning them in (using pink noise) but they sound great to me, I like them just as much as my Sennheiser HD598 even though one is closed back and the 598 open back.

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #20 of 101
Jan 11, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #22 of 101
Out of interest, where did you hear them? I first listened to them in an Apple store and wasn't that impressed, I thought they were too dark. Then I tried them in another store out of my own ipod and was surprised that they were not as dark as I'd first thought. I assume the apple store has them plugged into a source with sound enhancers and heavy bass-boost. 

I heard them at BB. My apple store did not have these for some reason. They took them out of the box and I had brought my iPod and e11 to listen to them...obviously not broken in at all.

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #23 of 101
Quote:
Quote:

I heard them at BB. My apple store did not have these for some reason. They took them out of the box and I had brought my iPod and e11 to listen to them...obviously not broken in at all.

Copycat!! I went to a BB with my iPod and E11 and listened to them.

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #25 of 101
Quote:
To my ears, straight out of an iPod, the Momentum was objectively superior, better detail, separation and soundstage.
The Momentum is also objectively superior in terms of the materials used. I  find it really bizarre that people would prefer the look of the cheap plastic and pleather of the Sony. 

I owned both and had a chance to critically compare two out of my desktop setup and came to opposite conclusion. I wouldn't use words "much", "superior" or such though, as I've already said they both are quite capable cans and depending on sonic preferences one may end up liking one or another.

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #28 of 101
Quote:
I owned both and had a chance to critically compare two out of my desktop setup and came to opposite conclusion. I wouldn't use words "much", "superior" or such though, as I've already said they both are quite capable cans and depending on sonic preferences one may end up liking one or another.

I'm not one to exaggerate, in fact I rarely come on Head-fi these days because I think too many people here wildly exaggerate claims about various gear. I was leaning towards getting the Sony's because I thought the Momentum's were overpriced but I was really disappointed. I thought they sounded more congested and muddy than the Momentums by a considerable amount, enough to make go back and pay $375 for the Senns as against $300 or less maybe if I haggled for the Sony's.

Are all you guys listening to them amped? Maybe that explains the difference? Either that or you're all deaf 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #30 of 101
I'm not a huge believer in brake in, but the momentum doe improve after a few hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back