mom knocked my budget down =(
Sep 22, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #16 of 27
I...freaking...LOVE my SA6s. I'm 16, and my mom was shocked at that price tag. And it takes a while to find a sweet spot that you'll like, but I love baroque-type music, from Indie, to 60s, to Hip-Hop, etc. So it's just perfect. The highs, mids, lows are just perfect.

Of course, coming from $15 Skullcandies, anything is better, but trust me: They are AMAZING.

And the build quality seems fine to me. I just throw them in my bag at school and such. I get afraid that they'll break but it they seem very sturdy to me.

Sep 22, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
M'kay, before I start, let me say I'm primarily a Stax and Grado guy, followed by a liking of Etymotic products.

Okay, to me, no matter what tips and/or ports I tired, the highs felt thin, the mids were fubar'd like the V-Mode Vibes (namely the percussion sounded out of phase so much), and the bass was too warm. Like, Sennheiser warm, but the accuracy was starting to lean off the scale and be boomy.

I've been bashed and flamed before for those statements, but it's how I honestly heard them. So if anybody wants to waste their breath with criticism, go for it; I'm not listening.
wink.gif

No criticism here. I own the ER4Ps, SA6 and my favorite, the UM2. I rarely listen to the Etys and listen to the UM2 all the time. I find the UM2 to be near perfect for sound quality, just right in the highs and awesome mids as well as super tight and accurate bass....there's a relevant point to this, trust me....and just couldn't think of a better sounding canalphone.

Here's the point -

I picked up my ER4Ps and used them for about an hour one day last week and immediately I was struck by how bright sounding they were. Just absolute bright highs but I went on and used them bearing through the highs because I knew my ears would adjust and they'd begin sounding good to me.

After an hour or so I went back to the UM2 and was struck by how dull they sounded and how lacking of treble they were. They sounded exactly like you described of the SA6, the boominess and all. I knew they were the best canalphones I had ever heard, though, because I found them to be so through the last week.

The point is, if anyone uses a very bright canalphone like the Etymotics, Altecs, Harman Kardons and such, let your ears adjust to anything else before you condemn them.

I had to get my ears adjusted back down to normal levels of treble by using progressively less trebled canalphones before I could listen to the UM2 again and like them. I do love them and cannot find a better sounding canalphone but the Etys had my hearing way skewed.

Sep 22, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #18 of 27
I don't know why everyone complains about the SA6 cable. It is thin, yes, but seems robust to me. It's been in my bag, in my pocket, wrapped around the ipod (or around the ipod AND the viper -- I know I know, but sometimes I was in a rush). And they're perfectly fine. This is going on 2 months now. As long as you don't bend it at right angles, sit or pull on it, it'll probably be ok.

Sep 22, 2008 at 9:46 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@MarchingMule: Being totally irrelevant to the OP, but how does your portable rig match up to your other setups? I mean, if you're satisfied with the 75s while having the Staxs and 225s too, they've gotta be pretty darned good, right? Unless the portarig is super low priority.

Hope I'm not adding to the tangent in this thread, but yes, if I were to be forced to live with only one 'phone to treat casually, then yes, the KSC75 is what I would choose over ay other headphone. It rocks, it sparkles, it has a fun bass (notice the emphasis there), and it is the only 'phone I ever listened or owned that doesn't make me want to critique the sound or music quality, just listen to it and enjoy.
wink.gif

Sep 22, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #22 of 27
Well, for anyone that's interested, I purchased the q-jays. I have a huge pet peeve with things that don't fit tightly together (I know that sounds lame) so if there was any play between the chrome and black parts of the Sleeks I would've gone insane. That in addition to the horror stories I've read about so many build quality failures turned me away from the SA6's. Please assume me that I won't be disappointed with the SQ of the q-jays!

Sep 22, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #23 of 27
Your assurance is your own. Jays are excellent products, but it's your responsibility to appreciate what you purchased.

In my experience, the key is to do all your research before you buy, and then STOP RESEARCHING. Something better will come along. You will have missed something. One way or another you'll find a reason to be unhappy if you look for one.

Sep 22, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #25 of 27
Yeah I'm planning on deleting this site from my bookmarks soon
wink.gif

any suggestions for a sub $100 amp for a q-jay/ipod combo?

Sep 23, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #27 of 27
The Hf5 is a really really really "IMITATION" version of the Er4, Infact, the HF5 we're based on the Hf2, but has been slightly tuned for better sound stage. and since the hf2 was based on the Er4, the HF5 are sooo close to the Er4. But the price of the HF5 is i believe $60 cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back