mom knocked my budget down =(
Sep 21, 2008 at 6:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

powasky

100+ Head-Fier
I originally wanted to purchase the UE triple.fi's, but when my mom heard they were $300+ headphones she almost had a heart attack. So, now my budget is ~200. I've narrowed it down between the q-jays and the SA6. Everyone raves about the SA6 sq but I'd be definitely worried about build quality after hearing about how many people have issues with theirs. This is why I'm also looking at the q-jays.

I'm not really worried about comfort with either of these as they're both small and come with a variety of tips, so I'm focusing more on sound and build quality. Are the potential problems with the SA6's worth the SQ over the q-jays? I listen to mostly hardcore/emocore (like Alesana and stuff) but I do enjoy some classic rock and a bunch of classical. To that extent, bass isn't really THAT important to me, and I would much rather prefer sparkling highs and defined mids to punchy bass. Helpppp!

Quick edit: I'll be playing directly out of an iPod, and have no intentions of buying an amp until maybe around Christmas.

Sep 21, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 27
hehe i know how it feels
bigsmile_face.gif
i told her "if i buy the best i can get so never have to buy another earphone again? its cheaper that way
popcorn.gif
"

i bought them anyway
redface.gif

im no help with your dillema srry
redface.gif

Sep 21, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 27
The only issue I have had with my SA6's is the cable. The cable is very delicate, you cannot wrap it around your iPod and put it in your pocket. But they do come with a carrying case, but you have to wrap the cable around, so I never use because I don't trust it. As long as you are careful with them and don't wrap them around your iPod and put them in your pocket, go for 'em. I think I will try using the case though and let you know how the cable likes that. It's a bit bulkier to carry the case around but if it keeps them and the cable safe it's worth it.

Sep 21, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by metllicamilitia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only issue I have had with my SA6's is the cable. The cable is very delicate, you cannot wrap it around your iPod and put it in your pocket. But they do come with a carrying case, but you have to wrap the cable around, so I never use because I don't trust it. As long as you are careful with them and don't wrap them around your iPod and put them in your pocket, go for 'em. I think I will try using the case though and let you know how the cable likes that. It's a bit bulkier to carry the case around but if it keeps them and the cable safe it's worth it.

Delicate? Are the cables thin, or are they just brittle feeling? I usually do just wrap cables around my iPod and stick it all in my pocket, so I don't know if I want to have to baby my earphones. How do you feel about the sq of the SA6's?

Sep 21, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by powasky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Delicate? Are the cables thin, or are they just brittle feeling? I usually do just wrap cables around my iPod and stick it all in my pocket, so I don't know if I want to have to baby my earphones. How do you feel about the sq of the SA6's?

The cables are thin, and can/will be kinked easily if you keep shoving them into your pockets.

As for SQ, I'm oddly the only person who dislikes the SA6 sound signature so much, but variety of opinions is never a bad thing, eh?
rolleyes.gif

Sep 21, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The cables are thin, and can/will be kinked easily if you keep shoving them into your pockets.

As for SQ, I'm oddly the only person who dislikes the SA6 sound signature so much, but variety of opinions is never a bad thing, eh?
rolleyes.gif

TMM, if you don't mind, what did you dislike about the SA6's sound signature?

Sep 21, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #9 of 27
Yeah, the cable is just thin. I really love the SQ, bright clear highs, clear mids, and deep bass (others may differ, but this is coming from Sennheiser CX300). They are also very moddable, so if you don't like what is stock with them, there are numerous different things you can do with them. I myself have modded the Bass + port to have some increased bass, I am thinking about doing it again.

Sep 21, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #10 of 27
~$200?

If you were looking at the triple.fi 10 pro's, then the next best bet, under $200, would be the ER-4S.

Sep 21, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by vYu223 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
~$200?

If you were looking at the triple.fi 10 pro's, then the next best bet, under $200, would be the ER-4S.

You're kidding right?

Sep 21, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by metllicamilitia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wrapping the cable around your ipod is about the worst thing you could do to any earphone/headphone. Yet everyday as class begins I see many tightly wrapping their ibuds around their ipods. Maybe they'll break and get drawn into better headphones
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

If they come with a case, it's best to use that case.

Sep 21, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by powasky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TMM, if you don't mind, what did you dislike about the SA6's sound signature?

M'kay, before I start, let me say I'm primarily a Stax and Grado guy, followed by a liking of Etymotic products.

Okay, to me, no matter what tips and/or ports I tired, the highs felt thin, the mids were fubar'd like the V-Mode Vibes (namely the percussion sounded out of phase so much), and the bass was too warm. Like, Sennheiser warm, but the accuracy was starting to lean off the scale and be boomy.

I've been bashed and flamed before for those statements, but it's how I honestly heard them. So if anybody wants to waste their breath with criticism, go for it; I'm not listening.
wink.gif

Sep 21, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #15 of 27
@MarchingMule: Being totally irrelevant to the OP, but how does your portable rig match up to your other setups? I mean, if you're satisfied with the 75s while having the Staxs and 225s too, they've gotta be pretty darned good, right? Unless the portarig is super low priority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back