Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC (and headphone amp)
Aug 13, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #436 of 561
Finally!

Attachments

• 20230813_171745.jpg
    20230813_171745.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230813_173135.jpg
    20230813_173135.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230813_173204.jpg
    20230813_173204.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230813_173239.jpg
    20230813_173239.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230813_173455.jpg
    20230813_173455.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230813_192715.jpg
    20230813_192715.jpg
    896.6 KB · Views: 0
Aug 16, 2023 at 3:05 AM Post #437 of 561
Has anyone compare the Mola Mola to the gargantuan Rockna Wavedream?

Aug 16, 2023 at 3:45 AM Post #439 of 561
How big is it compared to your RTX 3090?

Lol, the MMT is definitely a larger unit than the 3080 OC ROG Strix, but doesn't pull nearly as much power or get as hot.

Aug 16, 2023 at 4:08 AM Post #440 of 561
Has anyone compare the Mola Mola to the gargantuan Rockna Wavedream?
@21qz can't help you with Wavedream directly since I've heard it long time ago but if you are interested in WaveLight just search WaveLight thread here on head-fi and you will find my posting. The conclusion I came to is that I want to have both: WaveLight is a keeper but I do want MMT for a second system due to huge difference between both dacs. The thing is: poor recording still sounds at least good or is still nice to listen to with WaveLight (even in NOS mode) but MMT will throw all imperfections right into your face on a larger and more airer sound stage.

Aug 16, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #441 of 561
The thing is: poor recording still sounds at least good or is still nice to listen to with WaveLight (even in NOS mode) but MMT will throw all imperfections right into your face on a larger and more airer sound stage.
I just throw a tube amp into the chain. Smooths over all those poor recording artifacts which the MMT dutifully exposes.

Aug 24, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #442 of 561
Currently I'm doing comparison of Mola Mola with emmlabs meitner MA3.
Using Lumin U1 Leedh as volume control and connecting the DAC direct to Chord power amp.
Leedh is far more transparent than the volume control of Mola Mola. MA3 have an excellent volume control, quite close in performance to Leedh.

uc
what is the result. I currently own MA3 and keen to change to Tambagui.

Aug 27, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #443 of 561
The Tambaqui is a remarkable DAC. Yet, when set against the ma3, the better choice seems to hinge on personal preference.

At first, I felt the ma3's temporal aspect was somewhat lethargic, preventing me from fully immersing in the music. However, after integrating an innuos reclocker and upgrading the cables, the ma3's musicality seemed to enhance. I can't pinpoint if these changes or a proper run-in period were the catalysts, but the transformation was evident. The ma3 boasts a rich sound profile, and when I switch from it to the Tambaqui, there's a noticeable depth that seems absent. Such is my appreciation for the ma3 that I opted to upgrade to the DV2.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #444 of 561
The Tambaqui is a remarkable DAC. Yet, when set against the ma3, the better choice seems to hinge on personal preference.

At first, I felt the ma3's temporal aspect was somewhat lethargic, preventing me from fully immersing in the music. However, after integrating an innuos reclocker and upgrading the cables, the ma3's musicality seemed to enhance. I can't pinpoint if these changes or a proper run-in period were the catalysts, but the transformation was evident. The ma3 boasts a rich sound profile, and when I switch from it to the Tambaqui, there's a noticeable depth that seems absent. Such is my appreciation for the ma3 that I opted to upgrade to the DV2.

Far out, before putting down that sort of money on a Meitner DV2 I would've 1. Got a pre-amp that better showcases the DAC(s) (e.g., Holo Serene) and 2. Got a MU1 with the MMT... just IMO.

Aug 28, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #445 of 561
I've explored potential enhancements for the Tambaqui. By incorporating a DDC with a master clock or a reclocker fitted with a high-quality OCXO ahead of the streamer, I noticed a marked improvement. Precise timing benefits all DACs.

For a HiFi setup, even with a Benchmark HPA4 at my disposal, the direct connection of the Tambaqui to the power amp offers unmatched transparency.

However, for headphone enthusiasts, a premium preamp paired with a powerful amplifier is essential, given the Tambaqui's lackluster built-in headphone amp.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #446 of 561
I've explored potential enhancements for the Tambaqui. By incorporating a DDC with a master clock or a reclocker fitted with a high-quality OCXO ahead of the streamer, I noticed a marked improvement. Precise timing benefits all DACs.

For a HiFi setup, even with a Benchmark HPA4 at my disposal, the direct connection of the Tambaqui to the power amp offers unmatched transparency.

However, for headphone enthusiasts, a premium preamp paired with a powerful amplifier is essential, given the Tambaqui's lackluster built-in headphone amp.

Don't see why a reclocker would make any difference - all SPIDF data (AES EBU included) is just relocked by the Tambaqui via its ASRC in step to its own 100MHz OCXO and its jitter performance is already insanely low. Unless you're using I2S?

The HPA4 has nothing on the Serene - in fact, Herb Heichert from Stereophile uses the Holo Serene and the Pass Labs XA25 as his reference system amp electronics for testing DACs. You should definitely try it.

I agree to your last point - that's why I've got a Holo Bliss on the way, just using the integrated amp for now.

Aug 28, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #447 of 561
Setting theory aside, the reclocker significantly enhances the spatial representation of Tambaqui by providing a clearer sense of layering, separation, and depth. Specifically, I use the Innuos Phoenix USB reclocker. I've observed similar effects with the Denafrips Gaia DDC and master clock using AES output. For context, my streamer is the Lumin U1X.

I think a better clock makes a difference. For similar reasons, it's possible that the superior clock of the Grimm MU1 contributes to the improvement in sound quality of Tambaqui.

If I were to consider a preamp, I'd opt for the Woo WA23, which can also serve as a headphone amplifier.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #448 of 561
Don't see why a reclocker would make any difference - all SPIDF data (AES EBU included) is just relocked by the Tambaqui via its ASRC in step to its own 100MHz OCXO and its jitter performance is already insanely low. Unless you're using I2S?

The HPA4 has nothing on the Serene - in fact, Herb Heichert from Stereophile uses the Holo Serene and the Pass Labs XA25 as his reference system amp electronics for testing DACs. You should definitely try it.

I agree to your last point - that's why I've got a Holo Bliss on the way, just using the integrated amp for now.
You seem like a guy with keen ears that also knows how to relate measurements to audio performance, do you have any theory on what makes the Serene superior to the HPA4? I bought an HPA4 because it seemed to (still) be the best thing on the market right now and I quite like the sound :)

Aug 28, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #449 of 561
Setting theory aside, the reclocker significantly enhances the spatial representation of Tambaqui by providing a clearer sense of layering, separation, and depth. Specifically, I use the Innuos Phoenix USB reclocker. I've observed similar effects with the Denafrips Gaia DDC and master clock using AES output. For context, my streamer is the Lumin U1X.

I think a better clock makes a difference. For similar reasons, it's possible that the superior clock of the Grimm MU1 contributes to the improvement in sound quality of Tambaqui.

If I were to consider a preamp, I'd opt for the Woo WA23, which can also serve as a headphone amplifier.

I would attribute the MU1s effect on any DAC to its upsampler, not its clock.

But as for the Tambaquis clock (NELFC SC-cut OCXO), I would bet money its of higher stability than the clock in any of those products. Its timing performance just comes down to the quality of the ARSC (which is fantastic). But I2S would eliminate the ASRC completely as its digital input stage inc. upsampler would run at the source clock rate (i.e. the source clock is actually fed to the DAC whereas with IEC 60958 (AES3/SPIDF) the clock has to be completely recovered by the DAC).

I personally want the network features of the Holo Red, so planning to get that as well and send data via I2S -> MMT.

Aug 28, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #450 of 561
I would attribute the MU1s effect on any DAC to its upsampler, not its clock.

But as for the Tambaquis clock (NELFC SC-cut OCXO), I would bet money its of higher stability than the clock in any of those products. Its timing performance just comes down to the quality of the ARSC (which is fantastic). But I2S would eliminate the ASRC completely as its digital input stage inc. upsampler would run at the source clock rate (i.e. the source clock is actually fed to the DAC whereas with IEC 60958 (AES3/SPIDF) the clock has to be completely recovered by the DAC).

I personally want the network features of the Holo Red, so planning to get that as well and send data via I2S -> MMT.
Please post the outcome - I’m thinking of either the Holo Red or the Denafrips ARCE. Have you established the I2S pinouts needed to connect the Red to the Tambaqui?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back