Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC (and headphone amp)
Nov 20, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #286 of 547
mola mola.jpg

The Mola Mola Tambaqui is really special and definitely the DAC I've been waiting for. Out of the box impressions are really really positive. I also did not expect to like the headphone out nearly as much as I do, particularly since most posts I've seen dismissed it relative to the DAC output. Only thing is that I have noticed some interference or static on both headphone outputs. Can anyone tell whether they get total silence? I tried my IER-Z1R IEM and the DCA Stealth headphones and it'll be a shame if I can't solve that issue.

Truth is the combo with the Grimm MU1 so far with the Tambaqui's headphone output is the best thing I've plugged my DCA Stealth in. It isn't perfect, as I wish I had just a tad more body, but it's quite revelatory, musical and super organic. It is so good that I actually preferred that sound compared to when I connected the WA 23 Luna to the Tambaqui using the provided XLR to RCA adapters. The drop in transparency was quite noticeable and it made the Luna sound overly soft and warm sounding. As such I'll be avoiding those adapters.

I'll be pursuing the same Snake River Audio XLR to RCA cables that @hifixman has posted about here recently. We'll see how that goes, but for the first time in a while I'm just transfixed! Great times ahead!

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #287 of 547

The Mola Mola Tambaqui is really special and definitely the DAC I've been waiting for. Out of the box impressions are really really positive. I also did not expect to like the headphone out nearly as much as I do, particularly since most posts I've seen dismissed it relative to the DAC output. Only thing is that I have noticed some interference or static on both headphone outputs. Can anyone tell whether they get total silence? I tried my IER-Z1R IEM and the DCA Stealth headphones and it'll be a shame if I can solve that issue.

Truth is the combo with the Grimm MU1 so far with the Tambaqui's headphone output is the best thing I've plugged my DCA Stealth in. It isn't perfect, as I wish I had just a tad more body, but it's quite revelatory, musical and super organic. It is so good that I actually preferred that sound compared to when I connected the WA 23 Luna to the Tambaqui using the provided XLR to RCA adapters. The drop in transparency was quite noticeable and it made the Luna sound overly soft and warm sounding. As such I'll be avoiding those adapters.

I'll be pursuing the same Snake River Audio XLR to RCA cables that @hifixman has posted about here recently. We'll see how that goes, but for the first time in a while I'm just transfixed! Great times ahead!
Omg brother the MU1 looks perfect with Woo Luna!!!!!!!

I honestly prefer Bricasti M3 with Luna most via silver snake River cables though.

What do you think of MU1?

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #288 of 547
Yeah the design language of Luna and MU1 really compliment each other. Actually wanted to put them closer together, but my AES cable is too short 😆

Everything is super new. Tambaqui just a day and the Grimm just has a few hours on it so will wait a bit before my final evaluation. All I can say is that the combo is really really good and it’s the type of “so good” where you forget about technicalities because it’s mundane at this stage and you just enjoy an emotive experience.

I guess I’ll sort out the best way to get the best out of the Luna with this combo, but not in any rush lol.

Nov 20, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #289 of 547
Yeah the design language of Luna and MU1 really compliment each other. Actually wanted to put them closer together, but my AES cable is too short 😆

Everything is super new. Tambaqui just a day and the Grimm just has a few hours on it so will wait a bit before my final evaluation. All I can say is that the combo is really really good and it’s the type of “so good” where you forget about technicalities because it’s mundane at this stage and you just enjoy an emotive experience.

I guess I’ll sort out the best way to get the best out of the Luna with this combo, but not in any rush lol.
Congratulations!! Mola Mola could work really well with Hifi cables

Dec 5, 2022 at 3:41 AM Post #290 of 547
Hi, has anyone compared this with Denafrips Terminator Plus or 2?

I’m using the Terminator Plus with Hermes DDC and want the dac that sounds warmer. Would this Tambaqui fit the bill? Also I’m sick of the need to keep my dac/ddc constantly on to maintain sound quality.

Also, I see that the Tambaqui has i2s input, and the Hermes can be configued to support various i2s output pinouts, meaning I can use my Hermes with it right?

Would the Tabmaqui generally be a better dac than the TP?

Dec 5, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #293 of 547

Also, I see that the Tambaqui has i2s input, and the Hermes can be configued to support various i2s output pinouts, meaning I can use my Hermes with it right?

I have not. Based on reviews I would say most people would say the Tambaqui is the better DAC. ‘Warmer’? I wouldn’t characterize the Tambaqui as warm, although instrumental timbre is excellent. It is truly pointed right at neutral, and manages to present tons of detail without ever sounding harsh or pointy.

I’m not very familiar with most of your gear, but in a few days I will have my Utopias (older) in the same place as the Tambaqui and can report back on timbre. If you’re running a tube amp already you will likely end up with a warmer presentation than I have with Utopia direct to Tambaqui.

There is an I2S input, but be aware it is limited to PCM 24/192. DXD and DSD are only available through USB and the Ethernet renderer. So rather than a typical DDC I have mostly found the best sound by linking an Innuos Phoenix reclocking the USB out of a streamer.

Check out YouTube / reviews for a comparison. If memory serves, Steve Gutenberg (who still insists that he *is* the audiophiliac, a point that I think no one has debated) used the T2 before hearing the Tambaqui, and preferred the latter. You can also find productive comparisons by searching for ‘Terminator vs Tambaqui’ in this forum as well as What’s Best Forum, Audiogon, et al.

Dec 5, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #294 of 547

I’m using the Terminator Plus with Hermes DDC and want the dac that sounds warmer. Would this Tambaqui fit the bill? Also I’m sick of the need to keep my dac/ddc constantly on to maintain sound quality.

I haven't heard the Terminator, so couldn't comment on that. However, after tried so many DACs (from below $1000 till above $15,000), I'd put Mola-Mola as DAC that lean on warmer side.

I think Chord Hugo TT2 is kinda warmer, in a very pleasant manner. And takes only about 20 seconds to power on and play.

Mola-Mola is even fuller body and smoother presentation compared to TT2 (a DAC that also on warmer side for me).

Dec 5, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #295 of 547

Hello,

No, Tamba is not warmer than your Denafrips Plus, but this can also be system dependent. Tamba is little bit more extended in upper register and that makes it feeling little bit brighter in my hp system. Denafrips feels more extended and little bit bolder at lower parts. Same with Holo May vs Tamba. Holo May feels more muscular against Tamba in my system. Have not have Denafrips Plus same time with Holo May for testing at home, but I think, though very subjectively, that Holo May could be little bit varmer than Denafrips. Funny thing is, even if my main speaker system is more at darker side with both amp and speakers, I got very surprised how good it was sounding when added Holo May to it. Same surprise when adding the Tamba to my head phone system. Had these other way round before and thought It could not fit better, but seems it does not matter how much and what experience you have, it can still surprise you how system matches and changes the DAC sound. So I recommend try to test the DAC in your system before purchase, if possible.

Dec 15, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #296 of 547
Truth is the combo with the Grimm MU1 so far with the Tambaqui's headphone output is the best thing I've plugged my DCA Stealth in. It isn't perfect, as I wish I had just a tad more body, but it's quite revelatory, musical and super organic. It is so good that I actually preferred that sound compared to when I connected the WA 23 Luna to the Tambaqui using the provided XLR to RCA adapters.

I have not experienced any static. I am using 2020 Utopias using the bog standard cable (horror!) 1/4" cable, and Meze Lirics using Meze's upgraded copper XLR cable.

I'm not sure the Utopias are absolutely the best match for the MMT - I feel that they are a bit more full and propulsive sounding with my TT2 even though it is absolutely not in the same league from a DAC perspective. I guess to be fair it also had the advantage of the digital source chain detailed in my sig. However they are refined, and never push into the harshness even on demanding material (I listen to a lot of large choral / orchestral works and this a common problem with any gear that isn't perfectly sorted) .

The other thing I'd point out (and I know I'm into first-world problems here) is that, even with the Utopias, I am not hearing the refinement from the Tambaqui that I got at home (with all the source boxes pushing USB). The Tambaqui in my current spot is plugged into straight wall power (via a decent Gotham Audio 85055 cable) and straight into a consumer router via a 3m custom-made ethernet cable. So, definitely feeling the Grimm envy.

Dec 23, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #297 of 547
https://www.stereophile.com/content/stereophiles-products-2022-component-year

Tambaqui ties for third place with the dCS Rossini Apex on Stereophile components of the year.

Not sure what the dCS does better, or whether it even sounds as good as the Tambaqui, though for $30,000+ AUD more. No direct comparisons were made in its review.

Also more Tambaqui descriptions from Herb Reichert in the Audio-GD R7HE MK2 Gramophone Dreams review:

"... the Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC is an interesting one. It manufactures its own brand of rarified clarity, one that's less reflective and diffuse than any I'd previously encountered. The Tambaqui's transparency reminded me of expensive art-framing glass, called museum glass, which, like high-grade optical glass, is radically lower in iron and potassium contaminants, which results in a very low refractive index; its edges are clear, not green. Imagine glass so clear and diffusion-free that it disappears. In a museum, when it's properly lighted, a viewer might never realize there was glass in front of a painting if they weren't deliberately looking for it. Tambaqui-clear is like that."

Dec 24, 2022 at 6:04 AM Post #298 of 547
Only thing is that I have noticed some interference or static on both headphone outputs. Can anyone tell whether they get total silence?
Complete silence here.
There are two possibilities:
- something with the unit headphone out is not right
- some ground loop/interference issue because of other equipment.

I assume that you are using Grimm MU1 AES/EBU -> Tambaqui. Can you try using optical just to isolate Tambaqui from any other electrical devices and check if that helps? (also disconnect XLR outs if they are connected to any other amplifier and ethernet etc.)

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #299 of 547
I have not experienced any static. I am using 2020 Utopias using the bog standard cable (horror!) 1/4" cable, and Meze Lirics using Meze's upgraded copper XLR cable.

The other thing I'd point out (and I know I'm into first-world problems here) is that, even with the Utopias, I am not hearing the refinement from the Tambaqui that I got at home (with all the source boxes pushing USB). The Tambaqui in my current spot is plugged into straight wall power (via a decent Gotham Audio 85055 cable) and straight into a consumer router via a 3m custom-made ethernet cable. So, definitely feeling the Grimm envy.

Complete silence here.
There are two possibilities:
- something with the unit headphone out is not right
- some ground loop/interference issue because of other equipment.

I assume that you are using Grimm MU1 AES/EBU -> Tambaqui. Can you try using optical just to isolate Tambaqui from any other electrical devices and check if that helps? (also disconnect XLR outs if they are connected to any other amplifier and ethernet etc.)
Thanks folks, the static is still a mystery though admittedly I haven't heard it lately so fingers crossed there.

I have not wanted to disconnect the Grimm MU1 from the Tambaqui at all, but did so recently. The Tambaqui is just super good already, but what the Grimm MU1 does with the Tambaqui is nothing short of astounding to me. This is just next level and when heard I personally feel like you're near the zenith of audio reproduction. There is more here than the hackneyed better bass, mids, treble and soundstage. The combination just adds a level of enchantment, realism and natural timing that I've never heard before. Everything just sounds so fresh and new and I get that giddy feeling of being in love and renewing my vows with my favorite music.

I get the sense that the Grimm MU1 in front of the Tambaqui fastidiously places things where they should be especially in relative 3 dimensions, then it meticulously tunes each instrument to their perfect tonality and timbre because music sounds especially multicolored here. The combo's unambiguous lack of grain is reminiscent of when retina displays were introduced. The idea was that once we go beyond a certain threshold of roughly 300 pixels per inch, it became almost impossible for the human eye to differentiate the individual pixels resulting in smoother and cleaner visuals. I feel something similar is going on here, albeit in the audio domain. My ears hear no digital artifacts and the simulation of the performance happening live is heightened. The instruments and vocals are all unmistakably in my room and not merely via my headphones. What you eventually get in this marvelous gestalt is a greater appreciation and recognition of the perceived intent of the musicians and how they interplay with each other.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #300 of 547
Thanks folks, the static is still a mystery though admittedly I haven't heard it lately so fingers crossed there.

I have not wanted to disconnect the Grimm MU1 from the Tambaqui at all, but did so recently. The Tambaqui is just super good already, but what the Grimm MU1 does with the Tambaqui is nothing short of astounding to me. This is just next level and when heard I personally feel like you're near the zenith of audio reproduction. There is more here than the hackneyed better bass, mids, treble and soundstage. The combination just adds a level of enchantment, realism and natural timing that I've never heard before. Everything just sounds so fresh and new and I get that giddy feeling of being in love and renewing my vows with my favorite music.

I get the sense that the Grimm MU1 in front of the Tambaqui fastidiously places things where they should be especially in relative 3 dimensions, then it meticulously tunes each instrument to their perfect tonality and timbre because music sounds especially multicolored here. The combo's unambiguous lack of grain is reminiscent of when retina displays were introduced. The idea was that once we go beyond a certain threshold of roughly 300 pixels per inch, it became almost impossible for the human eye to differentiate the individual pixels resulting in smoother and cleaner visuals. I feel something similar is going on here, albeit in the audio domain. My ears hear no digital artifacts and the simulation of the performance happening live is heightened. The instruments and vocals are all unmistakably in my room and not merely via my headphones. What you eventually get in this marvelous gestalt is a greater appreciation and recognition of the perceived intent of the musicians and how they interplay with each other.
Are you using MU1s up sampling with Tambaqui?
Any comment on that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back