Mola Mola Tambaqui and Sennheiser HD800S? Headphone advice sought please
Jul 8, 2023 at 4:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

BigAlMc

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I don't post often here and am usually over at Audiophile Style or occasionally WBF but need some advice from you guys for reasons that will become obvious.

I haven't owned headphones (as opposed to earphones) since the days a Sony Walkman cassette player was my pride and joy back in the 80s :xf_cool:

I own and have owned some decent earphones for use with my phone but have never dabbled with audiophile headphones.

Anyway, I now have a Mola Mola Tambaqui on the way to replace my much loved Directstream DAC. And given the MMT is also a decent headphone amp I feel I'd be remiss to not invest in decent cans and see what I've been missing out on all these years.

Knowing very little about headphones but having lurked a little on this forum the HD800S is really appealing to me and I like that iconic look. And the reviews are great.

Before I pull the trigger I figured I should crowd source some wisdom and experience from you peeps.

Are there any similar priced cans I should be considering instead and why? For example any alternatives with better synergy with the Mola Mola?

Also is there anything else I should be considering such as cables, accessories etc to get the most out of the MMT and HD800S (or alternative if a compelling alternative is found)?

My use-case will be living room listening with the Mola Mola approximately 3 meters in front of where I'm sitting on the sofa.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom or advice offered and apologies it's a kinda basic question but whilst I consider myself a fairly seasoned audiophile for 2 channel speakers 🔊 I'm a green newbie when it comes to the world of headphones 🎧.

Cheers,
Alan

PS random Walkman picture for nostalgia purposes for those of you of a similar vintage that recall these days 😉

Attachments

• 718dae04e0dac7466a4c15d75434f056--pantone-sony.jpg
    718dae04e0dac7466a4c15d75434f056--pantone-sony.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 8, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #2 of 17
Hi, welcome. I sell on Audiogon , what is style? there forum?

Anyway, I have been a two channel speaker guy for over 40 years. Retired now and surrendering my living room back to my wife has me deep into Headphones. I will tell you I love the experience. Listen anytime you want without disturbing anyone. and all the components have a really small foot print.

I have spent the last 4 years working through a good deal of Headfi equipment. I found the following:
Hifiman Susvara are arguably are the best all around Headphones on the planet. I am building my latest system around them.
Expensive. Abyss 1266 tc come in a close second, also expensive. I think these are the two best you can buy.

One rung down the ladder in performance and price would be:
Audeze 5's and Focal utopia

That's MHO on all things headphone. you tube has tons of good qualified reviews and reviewers on these and many others.
Lastly what ever the amp, POWER is important. its not all that important but without it you're not maximizing your investment. The first two I mentioned cant even be driven without a good power amp, there are quite a few. Again query you tube tons of advice from people wo have or had them. Enjoy

Jul 8, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #3 of 17
If the HD800S is your price point, I would suggest giving a call to one of the dealers here on Head-Fi like Audio46 or Headphones.com and talk with them about their trial options. I don't think there is a single headphone for an amplifier that fits everyone's preference.

Jul 9, 2023 at 4:28 AM Post #4 of 17
Hi, welcome. I sell on Audiogon , what is style? there forum?

Hi @TDHEAD ,

Thanks for the welcome and your detailed reply.

Audiophilestyle is the forum that was previously called ComputerAudiophile.

Hifiman Susvara are arguably are the best all around

Thanks for the input but I'm dipping my toes into the world of cans for the first time and these are 4 times the price of the HD800S I asked about. I've also just stretched my budget to buy the Mola Mola so I'm not I'm not likely to spend this sort of cash on headphones I don't know if I'll use that often at this stage.

Sounds like you're building an amazing system though even if your wife has reclaimed the living room.

Cheers,
Alan

Jul 9, 2023 at 4:37 AM Post #5 of 17
If the HD800S is your price point, I would suggest giving a call to one of the dealers here on Head-Fi like Audio46 or Headphones.com and talk with them about their trial options. I don't think there is a single headphone for an amplifier that fits everyone's preference.

Hi @Audio Addict ,

Thanks for your reply too. Good shout on looking into a trial. I'll look into that. Although I'll need the forums input on other candidates in the same ballpark as the HD800S.

I apologize as I realise I'm asking a very basic question compared to the level of experience on this forum. Guess I'm just trying to find out if the HD800S are a good match for the Mola Mola Tambaqui. The MMT is reviewed as an excellent DAC but only a good Headphone Amp. The latter part is making me think pairing/synergy is probably important. Was hoping someone had direct experience with this combo.

Thanks again for your reply.

Cheers,
Alan

Jul 9, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #6 of 17
Are there any similar priced cans I should be considering instead and why? For example any alternatives with better synergy with the Mola Mola?
I'd actually advice against starting with something that cost as much as a hd800 as your first foray into headphone listening. I started with a hd600 a decade back so I'd recommend that. Might be cliché but for what it's worth it still encompasses most of what headphone listening is like.

Jul 9, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #7 of 17
I'd actually advice against starting with something that cost as much as a hd800 as your first foray into headphone listening. I started with a hd600 a decade back so I'd recommend that. Might be cliché but for what it's worth it still encompasses most of what headphone listening is like.

Thanks @helljudgement , that's probably pretty good advice but not advice I'm too likely to follow 🤷

I read several reviews of the HD660S & S2 and agree they'd probably be a great starting place. But I know how my mind works and if I find myself enjoying headphone sessions it'd be a couple months before I upgraded to the HD800S to find out what I'm missing.

So based on what I've read so far the HD800S seems worth the punt and would hopefully be fairly endgame as I don't see me spending 4 to 6 grand to go up to the next level. But I'm not dumb enough to not know that's a foolish statement in this hobby of ours 😉

Thanks again for your reply.

Cheers,
Alan

Jul 9, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #8 of 17
Have you thought about a Meze Elite? It is a better headphone and pairs very well with the XLR-headphone out of the Tambaqui (unfortunately not as well with the 6,3mm out). Maybe you can find one in the classifieds-section. There could be a scenario that you hear how good the MMT is and will reach out efter better headphones anyway after a short period of time.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #9 of 17
Have you thought about a Meze Elite? It is a better headphone and pairs very well with the XLR-headphone out of the Tambaqui (unfortunately not as well with the 6,3mm out). Maybe you can find one in the classifieds-section. There could be a scenario that you hear how good the MMT is and will reach out efter better headphones anyway after a short period of time.

Hey Ralf,

Long time! Nice to hear from you.

I see you have the Mola Mola these days and more worryingly (for my wallet!) the MU-1. I still have my Zenith SE which I'm reluctant to part with but guess it's a matter of time. Is the MU-1 that much better than the SE?

Interesting recommendation. At first glance more than I was planning at this stage so probably unlikely until I've found out whether the headphones see much action. But I'll give them a look and do my homework.

Hope life is treating you well.

Cheers,
Alan

Jul 9, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #10 of 17
Hey Alan,
didn´t know if you remembered me. The Zenith SE is a wonderful piece of kit - very relaxing and holographic. But I saw the chance to sell my SE, the M-Scaler+Opto DX, Phoenix USB plus different power supplies (you remember "spagetti") and get the MU-1 instead - and the result was still better. And then I understood that MU-1 had a wonderfull synergy with the Tambaqui which I bought instead of my DAVE. And alltogether has a fine synergy with the Meze Elite (+Lavicables Grand, angled pads), still better with the Cen.Grand Silverfox. You see - it never stops - until you (or your wife) say it has to stop - now. Maybe I am at this point.

Jul 10, 2023 at 1:12 AM Post #11 of 17
JMHO but the 800S is a high ohm set of cans and a bit dated in terms of outright performance these days. The only thing they have going for them is soundstage. Other than that, lots of other cans better them. I think your MMT is a step or two better than the 800S. Since this is your first step into hp’s I’d consider something a bit more versatile. If you’re open to buying slightly used gear, go for a Focal Utopia or Hifiman HE1000, or Meze Elite. If they need to be new then the Hifiman Arya, Focal Clear, or Dan Clark Aeon 2 Noire.

My personal rank would be Utopia, Elite, Arya, Dan Clark Aeon 2 Noire.

Jul 10, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #12 of 17
If you're adamant on spending I'd recommend the ZMF Auteur. It's a fairly neutral sounding tuning but noticeably richer in overall delivery. HD800 just sounded a bit too dry on most solid state/All in one setup for my taste. If you're willing to spend a bit more you can consider a pair of Verite which is currently on sale for $2199. A simple search will yield tons of impression and reviews for either of those headphones.

Jul 10, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #13 of 17
Hey Alan,
didn´t know if you remembered me. The Zenith SE is a wonderful piece of kit - very relaxing and holographic. But I saw the chance to sell my SE, the M-Scaler+Opto DX, Phoenix USB plus different power supplies (you remember "spagetti") and get the MU-1 instead - and the result was still better. And then I understood that MU-1 had a wonderfull synergy with the Tambaqui which I bought instead of my DAVE. And alltogether has a fine synergy with the Meze Elite (+Lavicables Grand, angled pads), still better with the Cen.Grand Silverfox. You see - it never stops - until you (or your wife) say it has to stop - now. Maybe I am at this point.
Hi Ralf,

Sounds like quite a journey to get here but glad it's working out well for you.

I was pretty well behaved for a couple years and didn't buy anything new. Was just enjoying what I had and that was pretty great.

But one thing led to another and I ended up back down the rabbit hole 🐇. Added the Muon Streaming system and just pulled the trigger on a Tambaqui after flirting with a couple other DAC choices.

Famous last words but other than adding headphones which I feel is justified given I'll have a headphone amp for the first time, I'm planning on taking it easy for another year or so at least.

Hence my hesitation asking about the MU-1 as I've read it pairs very well with the MMT. Christian Punters excellent review as an example.

But I'll try and take it easy after purchasing the cans.

Cheers,
Alan

Jul 10, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #14 of 17
JMHO but the 800S is a high ohm set of cans and a bit dated in terms of outright performance these days. The only thing they have going for them is soundstage. Other than that, lots of other cans better them. I think your MMT is a step or two better than the 800S. Since this is your first step into hp’s I’d consider something a bit more versatile. If you’re open to buying slightly used gear, go for a Focal Utopia or Hifiman HE1000, or Meze Elite. If they need to be new then the Hifiman Arya, Focal Clear, or Dan Clark Aeon 2 Noire.

My personal rank would be Utopia, Elite, Arya, Dan Clark Aeon 2 Noire.

Thanks @TDinCali ,

I'll do some reading on these recommendations. Appreciate the reply and suggestions.

Cheers,
Alan

Jul 10, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #15 of 17
If you're adamant on spending I'd recommend the ZMF Auteur. It's a fairly neutral sounding tuning but noticeably richer in overall delivery. HD800 just sounded a bit too dry on most solid state/All in one setup for my taste. If you're willing to spend a bit more you can consider a pair of Verite which is currently on sale for $2199. A simple search will yield tons of impression and reviews for either of those headphones.

Thanks @helljudgement ,

I wouldn't quite phrase it as "adamant on spending" 😄 More a case of trying to find the right pairing. That said most others have suggested more expensive headphones than my proposed ones so I definitely appreciate you pulling in the other direction with your HD600 suggestion.

Just had a quick look at the ZMF Auteur but I'm afraid I'm not digging that wooden look. Appreciate the suggestion tho.

Cheers,
Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back