Mojo batteries
Jul 3, 2021 at 5:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Gorf

100+ Head-Fier
I love the sound from my Mojo, but getting fed up with the batteries, which now last for about 2 albums. Sometimes less than 1 album.

Are replacement batteries available & are they user replaceable?

What would be a suitable upgrade? I'm concerned that a Hugo would have the same crappy battery.

Jul 3, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #2 of 14
Jul 3, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #3 of 14
Thank you. I have also contacted Chord to check if I can get an OEM battery. It's worth noting that the linked battery frm Aliexpress states that it cannot be sent to the UK.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #4 of 14
Thank you. I have also contacted Chord to check if I can get an OEM battery. It's worth noting that the linked battery frm Aliexpress states that it cannot be sent to the UK.
Some folks disconnect the internal battery and use an external power bank to power the Mojo if you need to use the Mojo as portable device, I don't have experience with that, I just bought one so still has a fresh battery but I have been reading about battery work arounds to be prepared when mine starts acting up.

Jul 3, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #5 of 14
Thanks. I have just had an email reply from Chord. They can supply a new battery for 45 GBP or supply & fit for 80 GBP.

Jul 11, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #7 of 14
I have received my replacement battery from Chord. The info, the details as follows: Product model ARL9056, 1650mAh, LiPo. It comes with an attached connector & cable, thin dense foam pad on one side, double sided 3M 9448A tape on the other.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #8 of 14
I have had four Mojo's, and the Hugo. The battery life on all is a joke. From the start they never went the distance as claimed. The most I ever got from the Hugo was 4 hours. I sold it as a result. The latest Mojo was not used after the Hugo arrived, but now it's back in use I get an hour max. The warranty from Chord with battery life leaves a lot to be desired. There is quite obviously an issue with battery life on these products, but as with most manufacturers it is brushed under the carpet and denied. Technically they are excellent products, but back up sucks. Due to these issues I am reluctantly moving away from Chord.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #9 of 14
I have had four Mojo's, and the Hugo. The battery life on all is a joke. From the start they never went the distance as claimed. The most I ever got from the Hugo was 4 hours. I sold it as a result. The latest Mojo was not used after the Hugo arrived, but now it's back in use I get an hour max. The warranty from Chord with battery life leaves a lot to be desired. There is quite obviously an issue with battery life on these products, but as with most manufacturers it is brushed under the carpet and denied. Technically they are excellent products, but back up sucks. Due to these issues I am reluctantly moving away from Chord.
As it's a LiPo battery it will be important not to allow it to go flat. Once I fit the new battery, I will take more care than before to look after the new battery.

Jul 11, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #10 of 14
I don't really think you should have to nurse a battery by not letting it run flat. All the 4 Mojo's never lasted beyond 4 - 5 hours, from new. I had the first Mojo just after it was launched, and the others for family members over the next several years, so it could not be just down to one bad batch of batteries. None of them ever got near to 8 hours. Nothing like it. 4 - 5 hours max, if you're lucky. The Hugo was the same. I even sent in one under warranty (Mojo) only for it to be sent back as 'no fault'. The next time I used it the same again - conked out after 4 - 5 hours. The chargers were also the correct spec, so that was not the issue. Best of luck getting some more life out of yours.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #11 of 14
1650mAh seems like a little skimpy for the battery. Wonder what voltage it is. The lower the voltage the worse it is.
As with any portable device, if you leave it plugged in when just sitting around, or in the car you'll save charge/discharge cycles.

Jul 15, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #12 of 14
As it's a LiPo battery it will be important not to allow it to go flat. Once I fit the new battery, I will take more care than before to look after the new battery.
First of all, count yourself lucky/wise - as you did the best thing by getting your hands on an original battery.
There are no equivalents!
period.
Chord uses a very high quality battery, it is a high temperature version, because Mojo can get hot while charging and operating at the same time.
Lesser batteries would swell up and can destroy the electronics inside.
Also there are no other batteries to give true 1650mAh of power, they may claim this'n'that, but that is all it is - empty claim.
FYI the sponge serves two functions:
- insulate the battery from heating chips
- by applying pressure on the battery, the LIPO performs better.
Keeping the battery for long periods in discharged mode does reduce performance and life of LIPOs, you are correct.
however, when Mojo flashes RED, batteries are actually at 20% or so, Mr. Watts is also aware of this phenomenon and does not allow the battery to fully discharge (Mojo switches off), NOR does he charge the batteries to 100% as that is detrimental too.
100% charge corresponds to 8.4V, Mojo cuts out at 8.2V to give the batteries longer life.
It also cuts out at 6.9V.
@Steve160k
I checked mine a few months ago when it was over one year old, and I got 8.5 hours using USB input.
People say you get more through coax.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #13 of 14
Good information ref the battery specs etc. I would have been delighted to have got 8 + hours battery life from the Mojo's. The Hugo was the same from new. 4 hours max. That is my experience. The breaker for me was sending one in for warranty with it being returned as 'not faulty', but still lasting no longer than 4 hours. A pity, and Chords's loss, as I was going to invest in a TT2, but have decided to move on from the Chord brand. A little bit of customer service would have gone a long way, so to skimp on not fitting a new battery has lost them a longer term customer. Complacency can cost.

Jul 17, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #14 of 14
Mojo loses between 10-15% charge per week if left unused. So...meybe you/your family charged it and used it sometime later, this is one situation where it can have a lot less hours than the advertised. If you leave it in summer while in holiday it will discharge completely for 2.5-3 months. Not saying it cannot have bad battery, just charging it regularly can help. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back