mods please delete.
Dec 20, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #3 of 22
what I find frightening is that you list the mx980 and Pk2 with the same rated soundstage and lows...that confuses me to no end and im really unsure as to what you are really listening to

Dec 20, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #4 of 22
thank you anaxilus.

@swbf2cheater, 
sorry.
i will still edit this review every now and then.
its not yet FULLY finished.
i still got to listen to the sm3s more...to the pk2 and mx980.
ill update this more, promise.

still, the mx980 is unmatched by any iems ive heard, when it comes to details and the smooth highs.

as you can see, in the soundstage department, both the pk2 and mx980 sounds alike, headphone-sounding.
BUT, in separation of instrument and details, the mx980 is graded 5, because its where it is best.

Dec 20, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #6 of 22
i am rating them based on their strength and weaknesses.
and i do respect them as they are.
i have no basis or foundation of a perfect iem but i only based them as how good they perform on the said departments.

sorry for confusing you.
gotta try harder, maybe.

Dec 21, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #8 of 22
I was concerned that maybe my Pk2s were broken, because if I rated the Ms980 with a bass rating of 4, Id rate the pk2 with a rating of maybe 0.5, and the pk1 at a 1.5, id even go as far as rating the sunrise charm as a 2.5 because they have bass almost on par with the mx880, but the sennheiser MX980 has significantly more bass than all of them and the closest is the mx880, which has a lot more bass than the pk2

in terms of sheer quantity in bass

mx980
mx880
sunrise charm/OK1 
Pk1
Mx580
Sunrise feeling
9wave
Pk2
Piano Forte II

this comes with my side by side comparisons and i know its just my opinion and to my ears the pk2 has no where near, not even remotely close to as much bass as the mx980, but you rated the pk2 with .5 lower than the mx980 

Dec 21, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #9 of 22
you have the S4 better highs and clarity than the HJE900? I thought the HJE900 walked all over the S4 in every which way but I guess different ears..

Out of your list I'd probably choose the e-Q7 as they are one of the best universals I've ever heard if it wasn't for their damn housing size being 1-2mm too large for me at times. I also think they have a very good sound stage for a closed earphone but I guess we hear things differently :p

Feb 4, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #11 of 22
I use the HJE900, I have heard they were silibant, but I have not noticed anything of the sort from my D2... Though I do agree the highs can be a bit harsh. Burn in tamed them, but on certain songs they are still pretty strong... Personally I'd give them a 4 for highs, and 4 for soundstage, but that may be because I haven't heard better. You have made me quite interested in the mx980s though... might have to check them out one of these days...

Feb 4, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #12 of 22
hahha...
youll be one damn happy owner of the smoothest earbud (highs) on the planet out there if you get this mx980!

i sold my panasonic hje900 already.
bought this vortex iem!
very spectacular iem.
made of steel.

same sound sig as the pannys but has this lush and smooth mids!
without the sibilance.

thanks sir for reading my post.

Feb 4, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #14 of 22
I don't think you know the difference between good highs and being bright. Or lows for a matter of fact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back