Mods for SR-009
Aug 31, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #107 of 170
Quote:
Kinda OT, but I'll ask anyway; how are the noise levels of the BHSE? Particularly if it has any transformer buzz in a silent room etc?

Mechanically dead quite.
A buzzing transformer is a fault and should not be considered typical.

Aug 31, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #109 of 170
Quote:
I've mentioned it before, which is with some songs I listen to, they are uncomfortable even at my normal listening volume. Fortunately most of the songs in my collection do sound pretty amazing with the 009 / BHSE.

Of course, as any honest transducer would.

Aug 31, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #110 of 170
Quote:
Yeah that's my take on it as well.
But you say mechanically, does this imply that there is audible noise in the headphones, on the signal that is?

There is no audible noise through the headphones at all. I listen at max volume and control digitally 
wink_face.gif

Aug 31, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #111 of 170
The transformer vibrates and this can show up as micro phonics in the transducers.  Far worse with tubes but the BHSE is dead quiet. 

With DIY we can always have transformers that buzz a bit.  Mostly as the transformers are one off and not tested in circuit.  This would never be acceptable with a commercial offering as they are first sent samples to evaluate and then the actual production models. 

Sep 1, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #113 of 170
This is probably another silly question by me, but could the drivers in the 009 be taken out and be replaced with drivers from the 007mk1.
And if it could be done, would it work and get the 009's to sound like the 007mk1's ?

Sep 1, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #114 of 170
Why not just buy a set of MK1's?

Quote:
This is probably another silly question by me, but could the drivers in the 009 be taken out and be replaced with drivers from the 007mk1.
And if it could be done, would it work and get the 009's to sound like the 007mk1's ?

May be that particular recording. I see you use an Esoteric, do you find its sound a bit "in your face" at times?
I went down that route for a while but found the end result a little mechanical and overly bright on some material. Problem is most popular mainstream stuff is messed with audibly so much these days before it ever reaches the consumer. 

Quote:
I've mentioned it before, which is with some songs I listen to, they are uncomfortable even at my normal listening volume. Fortunately most of the songs in my collection do sound pretty amazing with the 009 / BHSE.

Sep 1, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #116 of 170
For David to accept the phone, it's gotta be brushed aluminum, otherwise that's not it :wink:. As such, you might be even more pleased fitting a porta-pro driver into the 009 shell, ALL records guaranteed to sound just fine when driven from the gsx! 

Sep 1, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #117 of 170
Quote:
Mhm, kinda sucks when you get a good one with a buzzing transformer
frown.gif

It does and it's something I've been working on with my transformer manufacturers lately to try and prevent. 

Quote:

I've been studying my pics (don't have a 009 here at the moment) but I think this might be possible.  When the 007 was designed they engineered the drivers so that they would fit in the SR-Omega shell and the 007 and 009 driver shells are very similar.  That said 007 Mk1 drivers do not fit in a Mk2 shell properly even if they look pretty much identical.  Small differences are enough to make the swivel not work and the entire assembly is forced. 

Sep 1, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #119 of 170
I've been studying my pics (don't have a 009 here at the moment) but I think this might be possible.  When the 007 was designed they engineered the drivers so that they would fit in the SR-Omega shell and the 007 and 009 driver shells are very similar.  That said 007 Mk1 drivers do not fit in a Mk2 shell properly even if they look pretty much identical.  Small differences are enough to make the swivel not work and the entire assembly is forced. 

Thanks Birgir. Because of the expense of my source, if or when Teac came out with a new and possibly improved version, for those that already had the K-01 they could have it upgraded. ( at an extra cost )
It would be nice for Stax to do something similar with the 009's, rather than have to buy their new flagship. ( if or when they come out with a new flagship )

Sep 1, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #120 of 170
For David to accept the phone, it's gotta be brushed aluminum, otherwise that's not it :wink:. As such, you might be even more pleased fitting a porta-pro driver into the 009 shell, ALL records guaranteed to sound just fine when driven from the gsx! 

The best looking headphone I've ever seen is the HE-90, but since I put the new headband on my 009 I find it to be on par with the HE-90.
You're right though arnaud, I do really like the look of brushed aluminium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back