Mods for SR-009
Apr 24, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #61 of 170
Very nicely done indeed.  Congratulations! 
L3000.gif

Apr 24, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #64 of 170
First Thank you for the kind remarks.
However I only had the band made for myself [ which I partly did ] so I won't be doing anymore, but the band was relatively easy to do.
As I've written, I just used a Senn complete replacement headband for the HD-650's and took the yokes off, which in doing that leaves the two metal bands with a perfect angle at the bottom with a hole in it. I then had two more holes drilled on each band to use three screws for extra strength.

I've done photos on this thread showing mostly what I did, however I'm sorry but I'm having to do some more.
The two photos below are obviously the two brackets, which the photo on the right is screwed to the band which is adjustable for different size heads, and also to the 009's cup.

Also in the right photo, bottom right is the aluminium bar I had the brackets made out of. [ sorry but it can only just be made out ] That bar is 25mm wide by 9mm thick.

The photo below are the screws, two M4's by 6mm long and one M4 by 12mm long. The three brass pieces are M4 by 5.9mm long threaded inserts, to which they were fixed into the brackets.

For those that want to try making a similar headband, once the HD-650 or 600 complete headband has been gotten, and the yokes have been taken off, it should be very easy to sort out what to do next. Well it was for me, and if I can do it, anyone can.

Apr 24, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #65 of 170
So you are saying that someone with a metal shop needs to measure up your bars/screws, and sell the adapters?  They would make more money if they bought the bands too, added the bars, and did the leather recovering, and sold the mods ready to bolt onto the ear cups.

Stranger things have happened, seems to be lots of SR009s out there, and there will be more with the BHSE batch 3 and 4 completion "soon".

I don't have either yet, but would certainly try out the original band first.  I have a bigger head circumference, and might not even fit well into your modded band.

Unfortunately for most of us, you just made us jealous of the looks of your mod. 
dt880smile.png

Apr 24, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #66 of 170
Quote:
So you are saying that someone with a metal shop needs to measure up your bars/screws, and sell the adapters?  They would make more money if they bought the bands too, added the bars, and did the leather recovering, and sold the mods ready to bolt onto the ear cups.

Stranger things have happened, seems to be lots of SR009s out there, and there will be more with the BHSE batch 3 and 4 completion "soon".

I don't have either yet, but would certainly try out the original band first.  I have a bigger head circumference, and might not even fit well into your modded band.

Unfortunately for most of us, you just made us jealous of the looks of your mod. 
dt880smile.png

If someone wanted to do that, then it's up to them.
If I'd have had the tools myself, I'd have made the brackets, but because I haven't, I bought the aluminium bar from a local metal shop, got the screws on Ebay, the brass inserts I got on the internet and then I went to a local place that makes gates [ they made my garden gates ] to have the brackets made from a drawing I did.
The same place also built my audio racks from drawings I did. 

At first the brackets were too long, so I just had them milled down.
After I took off the yokes on the HD-650's complete headband, the shape of the brackets was very easy for me to figure out.
The place that put the leather on, does up vintage cars. I wouldn't try stitching leather myself.

Most headfier that have the 009's, are probably happy with the Stax headband as it is,especially those with larger heads because the  extruding band won't stick out as much, but I've a smallish head so the Stax band does which to me spoils the 009's looks, that's the only reason why I decided to pursue a new headband which has turned out successful.

From what I've heard, those with larger size heads that first got the HD-600 + 650, had to stretch the headband until it fitted them, so there's no reason why anyone with a large head that wanted to do the same band as me for their 009's, couldn't stretch that.

Apr 27, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #67 of 170
Hey David, nice job! I am glad the DIY worked out for the 009s. I wonder why Stax went for the fabric lower band anyway? Seems odd to me.

Apr 28, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #68 of 170
Thanks Julian,

Another thing that pleases me about my 009's with the new headband, is that a couple of my friends that thought the 009's with their original headband looked daft, now think my new look 009's, look great.
They also tried them on and thought they were very comfortable, to which they had to use the adjustable band because they've both got a bigger head than mine.

May 6, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #69 of 170
Because I'm not 100% happy with the new headband I had made for my 009's, I'm going to have a slight alteration, this will involve me having the band wider.  When that's done, I should be a lot happier.

May 6, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #70 of 170
Quote:
Because I'm not 100% happy with the new headband I had made for my 009's, I'm going to have a slight alteration, this will involve me having the band wider.  When that's done, I should be a lot happier.

Hope that goes well for you David.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back