Mods for SR-009
Apr 11, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #46 of 170
IanG has been through to my place along with his 009's, and we found SQ of the two sounded the same, the only difference we found with my new headband, was my 009's cups felt slightly tighter, but when I've had the foam and leather put on, and I've used them a bit, the feel should be similar to the 009's with it's original band.

Goodbye extruding band. 

Apr 11, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #47 of 170
Quote:

Where did you get this stand?  It is so much better looking than the HPS-2 stand that is found with googling "stax heaphone stand".

BTW - nice work on the band, its great looking imo.  Of course, I have a larger sized head, and won't be looking for a smaller band.

Apr 11, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #48 of 170
I got the stand from [ www.thomann.de/gb/rooms ] .  I've two and If I remember correctly all in they were £83 each, but they do several different models.

The new headband is adjustable so it will fit those with a larger head.

I did say my 009's with this new headband were the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn, but that's not true, [ I guess I was over excited ] I put them on par with my HD-600's, however once I've had the foam and the black leather put on, I know then they'll be the most comfortable because it's only the plastic part of the headband that presses slightly on the top of my head, that spoils the comfort. The ear cups even with their heavier than normal weight, feel great.

Apr 11, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #49 of 170
Hi David
Hey, nice job on the head band for your 009s!

That was quite a brave thing to do. I guess if you ever sold them you could
supply the original as well, so no risks. The main thing is you are happy and they fit well.

I found the Lambda models were very plasticy and quite fragile.
I guess the challenge is to allow different sized heads, and swivel of the ear cups.

I am ok with the 007s head band. It seems ok for me, possibly as it is lighter than the
009s? Not sure. They are very comfortable. ~The only issue as regards comfort is in summer
I can see getting hot ears... Might have to leave some windows open for that one.

BTW I live in quite a dusty, very dry environment, and am a bit paranoid about dust on the drivers.
So mine live when not in use inside a glass dome, actually an exhibition enclosure. I removed the stuffed bird first (only kidding). It seems to work ok. In winter I will put some cilia jells in the bottom to keep it dry, as the leather cups can attract white mould if not left to breathe.

On other stuff, I am listening to my old catalogue since I got the new DAC and Mac Mini set up. For mental moments try listening so Rammstein. Amazing hard rock, really well recorded though in German.

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #50 of 170
Hi Julian,

I guess I was taking a risk with the new headband, but because I've a smallish head, the extruding part of the Staxs headband stuck out a lot, which provoked some comments from some that have seen me with them on, so a different headband is something I've been after for sometime.
The thing that concerned me the most though, was whether there'd be a change in SQ, but after Ian popping through with his 009's, I'm pleased to say they both sounded the same. Once the foam and black leathers been put on, I'm confident the comfort will be spot on, plus for me the leather will enhance the looks.

I owned some 007's and was happy with their headband because it doesn't stick out like the 009's.

I can't say my ears have got hot while wearing the 009's, probably above warm, but even then not very often. 

I've got a Stax headphone cover which is on my 009's when I'm not using them. However I think I'll look into two glass domes to cover the amp section of the BHSE and Aristaeus when I have it. The BHSE's amp section  is on the top shelf of my audio rack and the Aristaeus's will be at the side. So while I'm very careful around my audio gear, accidents do happen, putting glass covers over them will be extra insurance so thank you for mentioning that. 

Sorry but I've never heard of Rammstein, but I'll search for them on the internet and have a listen.

As you know I tried downloading Audirvana + but was unsuccessful, but when I'm ready I'll be giving it another go.

Apr 12, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #51 of 170
Quote:
I got the stand from [ www.thomann.de/gb/rooms ] .  I've two and If I remember correctly all in they were £83 each, but they do several different models.

Thanks, I found and ordered a good looking stand in black and mahogony.  With shipping it is 105 euro, we will see how the conversion ends up.

Thanks for the tip.

Apr 13, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #53 of 170
Today, I took the new headband I've been doing for my 009's, to the place that's putting the foam and leather on it, they asked me to give them a bell the middle of next week. I'm also taking the aluminium brackets to have them cut in half on Monday. Hopefully my new look 009's will be done the back end of next week.

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #54 of 170
The aluminium brackets have been altered to a more suitable size, as can be seen in the photos.

I'll phone the place that's putting the foam and leather on the new headband, tomorrow.

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #56 of 170
Absolutely gorgeous - well done.

I got my headphone stand yesterday, quick service from Europe -> USA, and it is really a good looking, well made stand.

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #57 of 170
would like to see the pics...
gs1000.gif

Apr 23, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #58 of 170
Quote:
would like to see the pics...
gs1000.gif

I've done these new photos, but I won't bother with anymore because headfiers might get fed up of me posting them.

The 009 with it's original headband is IanG's, I thought taking photos of the two together would show the difference better.

I'm going to try and tidy up the two bottoms of the band a bit, but while the new band isn't perfect, overall I'm happy with how my 009's now look with it. At least I haven't got that extruding band anymore, however if I decided to put it back on, I could do that without a problem.

What pleases me the most, is not only do I find the new headband extremely comfy, but the SQ hasn't changed. Both myself and IanG heard his and my 009's with my BHSE, and the two sounded the same.

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #59 of 170
Fantastic!!! Good job, David. The aesthetic appearance of the SR-009 much better with the new band.
Tell me when I can send you my 009 to do them the same..
smile.gif

Have you tried to join a little the two sides of the Sieverking stands? I think they are more appropriate for the 009 if they are a little more joined .
I have the Sieverking in maple finish and I'm changing it to store the cord and make a more original set. they are very lightweight

Cheers

Apr 24, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #60 of 170
It looks good. Any chance of getting the measurements for the brackets? Or maybe we could do a group buy here, since you already know people who make brackets that fit correctly. I would just the HD650 headband as it is, I'm not fancy:wink: Seeing your pictures with the cover makes me think I should invest in one myself...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back