Mods for SR-009
Feb 13, 2013 at 1:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 170

Sahara

100+ Head-Fier
My SR-009 arrives a couple weeks ago.I am very happy with the combination with the GES and I love its appearance but I think that there are things that can be improved as the plastic headband.

Is there a place where we can buy those accessories for the SR-009 and can be replaced by others of better quality?
Is it possible to purchase these accessories for Stax?

Thank you

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #2 of 170
I'm assuming you're referring to, what I call the extruding headband which looks to be made of plastic, if so I don't believe Stax do an alternative, however I'm in the process of having an headband made for my SR-009's because I've alway's thought the Stax headband ruins their looks.

The one I'm having done is made of strong plastic and metal, but the plastic will be covered over with black leather.

Feb 14, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #5 of 170
While it certainly is unsightly, the 009 has to be THE most comfortable set of cans I've ever used (and I've owned, or at least tried, just about every kind there is) - I wish you luck in your attempts at building an alternative headband, though I can't imagine it will handle the load nearly as successfully as that which Stax designed

Feb 14, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #6 of 170
I took the Stax headband off my 009 the other day and just out of curiosity, I decided to weigh both ear cups with the cable and they weigh, 0.541 kg or 1.310 Ib.
The new band I already have is very strong so I can't see it having a problem supporting that weight, but time will tell.
At the moment I'm having brackets made which will screw onto the new headband and onto the yokes of my 009.
To get the brackets how I wanted I drew the shape and size then gave that drawing to the place that are building them.
Once they're done I'll put the new headband on my 009's yokes and if it works I'll send the band to have black leather stitch around it. 

If the Stax headband wasn't so odd looking I wouldn't be attempting what I am, but IMO it does. I did try and have a new band made sometime ago but was unsuccessful, but this time I'm more optimistic.
The 009's are comfortable, but I have the Senn HD600's which I find a lot more comfortable.

Thank you for wishing me luck El_Doug. 

Feb 14, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #8 of 170
Quote:
Are you aiming for the conforming look of the Sennheiser's headband? How did you decide how much clamp would be suitable to insure a proper seal?

Yes regarding the look of the Senn headband, in fact it's the HD650 complete headband I'm using.
I've just taken the yokes sections off, and the brackets I'm having made will be screwed onto the two adjustable bands, then the plastic band will be covered with black leather.
The amount of pressure the 009's cups will have is the problem, but I'm hoping the way I've designed the brackets that problem will be resolved.
If successful the look will be similar to the HE90's, but obviously with 009 cups. 

The brackets are being made of Aluminium. 

The only problem at the moment, is because the job in doing the two brackets is very small, the place that's making them said it might take sometime because they are very busy, but if Stax hadn't have designed such an odd looking headband in the first place, I wouldn't be having to have a new headband made.  

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #9 of 170
Sorry about my rough drawing, but I'm not very good at it.

I hope it can be made out, but the drawing is a frontal view of what my 009's should look like, with the new headband.

When it's done, the real thing should hopefully look a lot better than my drawing.

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #10 of 170
While it certainly is unsightly, the 009 has to be THE most comfortable set of cans I've ever used (and I've owned, or at least tried, just about every kind there is) - I wish you luck in your attempts at building an alternative headband, though I can't imagine it will handle the load nearly as successfully as that which Stax designed

Really?

I found the HD800 beats it by miles and miles... :-/
(ofc it helps that the HD800 weighs about 1/3rd of the 009)

I wonder how the 009 would feel (and sound) with the same kind of earpads that the HD800 has...

That said I don't really have an issue with the headband, in fact I like the way it balances :)

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #11 of 170
Say what you will about the sr-009 headband, at least it is incredibly comfortable which is of the utmost importance when the headphone weighs half a kilo. By having a regular old-fashioned headband like in the picture it would be less comfortable due to the uneven distribution of weight on your head. Also having the bracket in metal would add even more weight upon your head.

Awesome initiative though :)

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #12 of 170
I wasn't going to mention anything about the new headband until it's complete, but this thread prompted me into saying something.
The two brackets I'm having done will be made from Aluminium, which when done will be screwed to the metal band section of the new headband via three screws.
Regarding comfort, along with the 009's, I also have the Senn HD600's and I find them a lot more comfortable than the 009's. It was while wearing the HD600's I came up with the idea of using a complete HD650 headband,  the HD600 complete headband wasn't available but it doesn't matter because the band will be covered with leather anyway.

If successful I'll be posting a photo of my new look 009's, but because I need someone else to do the brackets and stitch the leather on, it could take sometime.
I've put the Stax headband back on so I can still use my 009's.

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #13 of 170
I sure hope it works!  Given the y-axis swivel of the cups, I fear you may not have full clamping force to keep the cups level against your ears, but I'm rooting for you (mostly because I want to commission a set if you prove successful) :D

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #14 of 170
Yeah I agree the hd600 is more comfortable than sr-009 but that is because of the fact that hd600 weighs half as much, I have both also but I never use the hd600 since it really can't compete with the sr-009 soundquality-wise. The headband and the construction is not superior to the sr-009 imo.

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #15 of 170
Doing a new headband for my 009's is a risk, but because I dislike the Stax headband so much, it's a risk I'm willing to take. 
The 009's are a lot heavier than the HD600's, but the HD650 complete headband which I'm using is very strong and I don't see a problem with it supporting the extra weight.
Until I have the GS-X, I'm using my HD600's with my Pico Slim, and yes the SQ isn't as good as the SR-009 / BHSE, but my source does make the HD600 / Pico Slim sound very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back