Mods for SR-009
Feb 11, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #153 of 170
Reviving this thread.  Like complin, one of the plastic sliders connecting the headband to the headpad recently broke on my pair of SR-009s as well.  I am a bit surprised since I baby my equipment.  Has anyone figured out a source for these (or for a replacement headpad with the plastic pieces attached)?  Contacting Stax US has not gotten me anywhere to date other than one reply email with no substantive follow-up.  Google searches have likewise proven unavailing.  Pretty alarming if this cannot be sourced.  

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #154 of 170
Yeah I asked my local Stax dealer about this issue too, just in case mine breaks. He could not help me, standard warranty repair, but that won't do me much good in a few years... :frowning2:

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #155 of 170
It happened to me suddenly over the new year. I bought mine from authorized dealer here in Japan and could get the spare parts from Stax direct. It's a design flaw, if you tighten it too hard, it will snap again right there. Advice is "gentle tightening, no more".

As for sourcing the parts, you need to go through your dealer. If that was grey market, same thing I assume.

Arnaud

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #156 of 170
  Reviving this thread.  Like complin, one of the plastic sliders connecting the headband to the headpad recently broke on my pair of SR-009s as well.  I am a bit surprised since I baby my equipment.  Has anyone figured out a source for these (or for a replacement headpad with the plastic pieces attached)?  Contacting Stax US has not gotten me anywhere to date other than one reply email with no substantive follow-up.  Google searches have likewise proven unavailing.  Pretty alarming if this cannot be sourced.  

It sounds odd that Stax USA won't help you. Call them sometime in the middle of the day (10-3 Pacific time). You may have to try several times, but I think you should get through after you try a few times, or maybe a day or two.

Mar 6, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #157 of 170
Thanks for the responses.  I have now emailed and called Stax US/Accutech/Yama's multiple times with no response (other than an initial email back from Tats Yamanashi--he has not responded otherwise).  I bought through Price Japan at launch.  I guess I will inquire with them.  

It's crazy to me that such expensive headphones have no reliable service center in the US, or even an online store to buy a replacement slider or even headpad (although headpads for other Stax models are available online).  I would be happy to pay for a replacement part, if available.   

Mar 6, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #159 of 170
I doubt an official distributor in any region would want to help a person who bought something through grey market, unless they can make profit from paid service.

Here, we're talking about a 2 cts. Piece of plastic so I don't expect you to hear from them...

On the other hand, PJ should be able to assist you. Why are you not contacting them in the first place?

Mar 22, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #160 of 170
To clarify, I was not requesting warranty service.  I was simply looking to buy the 2 cent plastic piece (for $25 markup or whatever) or a ~$150 replacement headpad.  On their website, Stax US sells headpads for every model, except of course for the 009s.  

I have bought A LOT of audio gear over the years, and this is the worst experience I have had bar none.  Non-responses to phone calls and emails, delayed responses otherwise.  This is my last "gray market" purchase--my intent was simply to buy these at launch, not save $X--and possibly my last pair of Stax (as much as I love the sound).  It is taking weeks with Price Japan simply to set up shipping--they require you to ship the entire headphone back notwithstanding that the headpad is removable.  I imagine this will cost $250+, all for a 2 cent piece of plastic.

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #161 of 170
Humm, it's probably stax is trying to make it tougher for these grey market sales to happen.

Lesson is that, if you're byuing from grey market, you just have to get your act together and realise that you'll need to ship the phone back all the way to japan for service.

It's unfortunate the 009 headband is poorly designed for that piece but you can't blame stax for this, grey market is not helpful to them as a company with distributors in all regions (the competency and greed of some if the middle men is another story though :wink:

Mar 23, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #162 of 170
Why not do a similar headband to the one I did for my 009's, not only is it very strong, but to me it makes my 009's look beautiful, my 009's with the headband I did are also extremely comfortable.
Since doing that new headband, I've not had anything break and unless I decided to do something silly with my 009's, I don't think anything will.
I found putting the headband on was very easy, the only things that were awkward for me, was working out the size of the brackets, and how to screw bolts into those two brackets, but once I figured them out the rest was straight forward.

P.S. I've still got the Stax headband, but I'll only put it back on, if or when I have to send my 009's for repairs.

Altogether the new headband cost me around £100, and a similar amount for the one I did for my LCD-XC's.

Jul 9, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #163 of 170
Thanks David. Do you have instructions posted somewhere for your custom headband? I have been trying to find a 3d printing business that will manufacture a few replacement pieces--if anyone has leads I would love to hear. It's a very straightforward part. To update, it has been many months and Stax USA responded once and then ignored me and Price Japan said they would help, asked me to be patient and now doesn't respond either. Ridiculous for such an expensive product--my 009s have been sitting in their box since the new year.

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #165 of 170
Thanks David. Do you have instructions posted somewhere for your custom headband? I have been trying to find a 3d printing business that will manufacture a few replacement pieces--if anyone has leads I would love to hear. It's a very straightforward part. To update, it has been many months and Stax USA responded once and then ignored me and Price Japan said they would help, asked me to be patient and now doesn't respond either. Ridiculous for such an expensive product--my 009s have been sitting in their box since the new year.

Ooooh, replacement parts for the SR-009 by 3D printing sounds like an awesome idea :D

Thankfully mine are not broken yet, but I dread the day those plastic bits start coming apart :frowning2:

Keep us posted :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back