Modmic and HiFi Gaming
May 13, 2020 at 8:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

etroze86

100+ Head-Fier
So I have to ask is it inappropriate to put a modmic on a set of LCD2 closedbacks? My buddies hate my mic I use and I don't want to add another piece to my desk. I also don't want to get another set of headphones cause I love these for gaming. What do you guys think?

May 13, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #2 of 19
No.

The modmic is easily detachable when you're not using it. If you like your cans, then I say do it. The good thing is the modmic is it's not permanently fixed to your headset. So, if you ever feel like you want to get a different set of headphones for gaming, you can do so. I use a modmic wireless on SHP9500 and X2HR headphones. I'm told by others in my party chat that the mic is loud and clear with no unwanted feedback.

May 26, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #3 of 19
I have a Senn 58X. I just ordered a Modmic Universal (aka Business) because it has 3.5mm connectors rather than USB, for my Xbox.
I also ordered an Audeze LCD-2C headphone and optional accessory Audeze LCD Boom Mic cable from Audeze.com. I will compare the Modmic vs Audeze Boom Mic and post my thoughts here. If the Modmic is up to par, it might be nice to have just one mic for all cans.
Note: the Audeze LCD Boom Mic is on sale atm ($129 -> $49, free shipping). Also, I found Modmic Business to be priced cheaper than the Modmic Universal, even though they appear to be the same.

Jul 4, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #4 of 19
subscribed, looking forward to your comparison

Maybe OT but also looking for a wireless transceiver device - likely **not** Bluetooth - that will enable the use of any microphone / audio interface / preamp, preserving good voice SQ, maybe even good enough for recording music vocals but still at a reasonable price.

Jul 4, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 19
subscribed, looking forward to your comparison
As it turned out I returned the Audeze headphones and never opened the accessory mic, so I didn't get a chance to make a comparison.
With that said, my friends say the Modmic sounds very good.
Also, I heard Linus Tech Tips and another YouTuber, maybe Josh Valour, each say the Audeze boom mic wasn't up to their expectations on the LCD-GX. Just a guess but I assume it's the same boom mic.

Jul 5, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #7 of 19
As it turned out I returned the Audeze headphones and never opened the accessory mic, so I didn't get a chance to make a comparison.
With that said, my friends say the Modmic sounds very good.
Also, I heard Linus Tech Tips and another YouTuber, maybe Josh Valour, each say the Audeze boom mic wasn't up to their expectations on the LCD-GX. Just a guess but I assume it's the same boom mic.
What kind of amp did you have the Audeze running on? In my experience audezes really do need power to really come alive. With that what did you settle on for HPs?

Jul 5, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #8 of 19
What kind of amp did you have the Audeze running on? In my experience audezes really do need power to really come alive. With that what did you settle on for HPs?
I tested with JDS Atom amp and Schiit Lyr 3. On the LCD2C at normal listening volumes I didn't see much performance difference with the more powerful Lyr.

Jul 5, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #9 of 19
Yeah you definitely had the power for it. I reread your post, the 58x is hard to beat for gaming. To me they just didn't have the visceral effect that the Audeze has.

Aug 20, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #10 of 19
(I just searched for the most recent modmic related thread instead of starting a new one)

Can any owner of the modmic comment if it's possible to use the modmic with a pair of custom IEMs instead of headphones? I will thinking with the wider faceplate of a CIEM, and with perfect seal, the CIEMs can take the weight of t he modmic without breaking seal.

Null Audio's Ethos MKIII cable with mic would have been the perfect solution but it's OOS with no ETA.

Aug 20, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #11 of 19
(I just searched for the most recent modmic related thread instead of starting a new one)

Can any owner of the modmic comment if it's possible to use the modmic with a pair of custom IEMs instead of headphones? I will thinking with the wider faceplate of a CIEM, and with perfect seal, the CIEMs can take the weight of t he modmic without breaking seal.

Null Audio's Ethos MKIII cable with mic would have been the perfect solution but it's OOS with no ETA.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mad...ennheiser-hd6xx-review-added.534479/page-2992

If you look at my post on this page, I posted a pic and description of using a modmic wireless with IEMs. Although not the same mounting solution you are thinking of. I use a mount meant for a headworn mic. I really think the mic (and cable if using wired version) would put too much weight on the IEM. I've always wanted to test this with something like an Audeze iSINE 10 planar IEM. It has a wide enough shell and sufficient support with the included ear hooks to likely hold the weight of an external mic. A regular IEM or CIEM, I'm not sure it would have enough support.

For me, the headworn mount works well.

Aug 20, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #12 of 19
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mad...ennheiser-hd6xx-review-added.534479/page-2992

If you look at my post on this page, I posted a pic and description of using a modmic wireless with IEMs. Although not the same mounting solution you are thinking of. I use a mount meant for a headworn mic. I really think the mic (and cable if using wired version) would put too much weight on the IEM. I've always wanted to test this with something like an Audeze iSINE 10 planar IEM. It has a wide enough shell and sufficient support with the included ear hooks to likely hold the weight of an external mic. A regular IEM or CIEM, I'm not sure it would have enough support.

For me, the headworn mount works well.

I actually have the opposite impression that you have, and the reason is I tried the Null Audio Ethos cable with both an universal iem and with my CIEM (the mic is part of the cable, so I was able to swap to my own customs) and it was totally unworkable with the IEM, while it works perfectly fine with my CIEM. I assume the Modmic will be slightly heavier than the Null Ethos but probably still won't be an issue. Hence my only question is whether there is enough surface on the CIEM faceplate to attach the modmic to it.

I will not try the modmic with the iSINE 10 at all, because I'm barely getting enough grip on my iSINE 10 haha.

All in all, I will probably get the modmic to test out on my CIEMs, since I'll be working from home till 2021 at the earliest.

Aug 21, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #13 of 19
I actually have the opposite impression that you have, and the reason is I tried the Null Audio Ethos cable with both an universal iem and with my CIEM (the mic is part of the cable, so I was able to swap to my own customs) and it was totally unworkable with the IEM, while it works perfectly fine with my CIEM. I assume the Modmic will be slightly heavier than the Null Ethos but probably still won't be an issue. Hence my only question is whether there is enough surface on the CIEM faceplate to attach the modmic to it.

I will not try the modmic with the iSINE 10 at all, because I'm barely getting enough grip on my iSINE 10 haha.

All in all, I will probably get the modmic to test out on my CIEMs, since I'll be working from home till 2021 at the earliest.

Good to know about the iSINE. That rules it out for me.

Diameter of the modmic magnet is about half an inch. It might work for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back