Modifying WM1Z/A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 19, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #2,806 of 3,042
I'll connect my 3.5mm out this weekend and put this to bed.
I am completely okay with bypassing the 4.4mm relay, and using 3.5mm as it is. 3.5mm is not the SQ output anyways, so shouldn't make much of a difference.

Aug 21, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #2,807 of 3,042
Bypassing from the coils to the Balanced jack, and not removing the relay, already retains both outputs. That is how my WM1Z is set up.
- The 4.4 mm is a double connection, through the relay, and also direct from the coils.
- The 3.5 mm works normally through the relay
Does bypassing relay, from coils to balanced jack, make the balanced section stay "on", when relay is normally set to the small 3.5 jack??

Aug 21, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #2,808 of 3,042
The relays just switches the +R -R +L -L on or off directly to the 4.4mm (they don't switch between balanced and single ended)
The thin black/red jack detection cables on the 4.4mm determines if balanced mode is on or off (displays balanced on screen). If open the system then triggers the S-Master to enable it's balanced output, after a short delay a voltage is sent accross the relays internal coils to close them.
The thin black/red jack detection cables on the 3.5mm triggers the S-Master to enable it's single ended output.
I've not tested which takes priority when both cables are plugged in though.

The bottom 2 pins on the relay are for V and gnd accross the relay coil. The next 2 pins up are R- and R+ from the output coils, the next 2 pins up are the 2 seperate switch commons and link to the R- R+ solder points that are then wired to the 4.4mm. The top 2 pins are gnd. The switch commons rests at gnd and then both flip to the 2 output coils when active.

IMG_20200730_234633.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #2,811 of 3,042
Aug 21, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #2,812 of 3,042
My Sandisk Extreme Pro just came in. Will test it out when files transfer completed.

Aug 23, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #2,814 of 3,042
The relays just switches the +R -R +L -L on or off directly to the 4.4mm (they don't switch between balanced and single ended)
The thin black/red jack detection cables on the 4.4mm determines if balanced mode is on or off (displays balanced on screen). If open the system then triggers the S-Master to enable it's balanced output, after a short delay a voltage is sent accross the relays internal coils to close them.
The thin black/red jack detection cables on the 3.5mm triggers the S-Master to enable it's single ended output.
I've not tested which takes priority when both cables are plugged in though.

The bottom 2 pins on the relay are for V and gnd accross the relay coil. The next 2 pins up are R- and R+ from the output coils, the next 2 pins up are the 2 seperate switch commons and link to the R- R+ solder points that are then wired to the 4.4mm. The top 2 pins are gnd. The switch commons rests at gnd and then both flip to the 2 output coils when active.

There is also a software switch happening.

I am wondering what exactly will happen having headphones in both outputs and then manually software switching the output from balanced to single ended? I should get sound to the single ended output instead, but I want to try and know for sure instead of assuming.

Edit: changing the output from balanced to single ended while there are headphones in both outputs, will indeed output sound via the chosen output. The "BALANCED" icon is still showing up, but I can have sound via the single ended output.

1598165776613.png

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #2,815 of 3,042
There is also a software switch happening.

I am wondering what exactly will happen having headphones in both outputs and then manually software switching the output from balanced to single ended? I should get sound to the single ended output instead, but I want to try and know for sure instead of assuming.

Edit: changing the output from balanced to single ended while there are headphones in both outputs, will indeed output sound via the chosen output. The "BALANCED" icon is still showing up, but I can have sound via the single ended output.

1598165776613.png

Excellent stuff 👍

Aug 23, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #2,816 of 3,042
If both outputs have their own sockets, and so are not sharing anything, I don't see why Sony would be using relays on the outputs, instead of just using software switching...
Why??????

Aug 23, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #2,817 of 3,042
If both outputs have their own sockets, and so are not sharing anything, I don't see why Sony would be using relays on the outputs, instead of just using software switching...
Why??????
The way it is set up, the 4.4mm socket is physically isolated from the amp, until the socket detection detects a plug is inserted, and activates the relay and Bal amp. I can't think of a good reason, under normal conditiosn, why this is necessary, even a purely esthetic reason, as there is already an internal switch to turn the amp on and off.

Maybe to prevent stray voltages or ground loops from being fed back into the amp, like the situation where the 4.4mm output it is being used to drive an external amp? A relay is the best way to physically isolate the circuit 100%, in this situation.

Really wish the relay was not part of the design, as it adds a weakness in the audio signal chain, and added complexity, for no absolutely essential purpose. I would have been happy with a warning to unplug the balanced output from an amp when it is not being used, if they were only trying to protect the output circuit.

Aug 23, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #2,820 of 3,042
Did a bit more today but not much, sad weekend, Family cat of 11 years was kill by a car outside our house.

Power cap in place where circuit board was cut and all good 😁👍

IMG_20200823_191720.jpgIMG_20200823_182805.jpgIMG_20200823_182816.jpgIMG_20200823_182757.jpgIMG_20200823_155848.jpgIMG_20200823_155435.jpgIMG_20200823_155442.jpg
You never stop :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back