Modifying WM1Z/A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 18, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #2,791 of 3,042
Just imagine if Sony designs a successor flagship to WM1Z that has only one dedicated 4.4mm balanced output, as in the space saved from not having single ended can be used for additional capacitors or components to improve sound quality or boost power output.
I like the non balanced, i use it has a line out for my sound systeme,with balanceb i will need special preamp or transformer or active balanced to unbslanced ,you i dont see wy they will need more cap. I have the wm1a and it is very quiet,more power mean less hour on battery😉 just use a good portable amp. And you gona have both world.

Aug 18, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #2,792 of 3,042
I like the non balanced, i use it has a line out for my sound systeme,with balanceb i will need special preamp or transformer or active balanced to unbslanced ,you i dont see wy they will need more cap. I have the wm1a and it is very quiet,more power mean less hour on battery😉 just use a good portable amp. And you gona have both world.
Lot can be done by firmware from my point of view and class d amp has it limitation on noise figure.

Aug 18, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #2,796 of 3,042
The balanced indicator on my 1A is now always on, even when I take the 4.4mm cable out.
The 3.5mm is not connected in any way, so I have no idea if the 3.5mm would go live if I plug it in.
There are coils on the back of the board that can be wired for the 3.5mm in the same way, if there are any consequences for doing so??? I do not know.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #2,797 of 3,042
I disagree. Capacitor upgrades have a pretty substantial effect on sound.
My planar IEMs see a massive jump in SQ when paired with a KaeSei 1A, everything from Dynamic, Detail retrieval, Soundstage, Timbre, Sub bass Response, Background noise, instrument separation, imaging...they all see a marked improvement. It's like having a completely new DAP. The sound with the Solid copper wires is unmistakably Sony, but upgraded in every conceivable way.
Sony did a great job designing the 1A and 1Z, but the internal wiring and stock capacitors are a limiting factor, at least to my ears.
Add both hardware and firmware mods, and you have quite an impressive player on your hands.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #2,798 of 3,042
I disagree. Capacitor upgrades have a pretty substantial effect on sound.
My planar IEMs see a massive jump in SQ when paired with a KaeSei 1A, everything from Dynamic, Detail retrieval, Soundstage, Timbre, Sub bass Response, Background noise, instrument separation, imaging...they all see a marked improvement. It's like having a completely new DAP. The sound with the Solid copper wires is unmistakably Sony, but upgraded in every conceivable way.
Sony did a great job designing the 1A and 1Z, but the internal wiring and stock capacitors are a limiting factor, at least to my ears.
Add both hardware and firmware mods, and you have quite an impressive player on your hands.
I agree with that, i build myself dac ,pream,amp etc. And it is right to say component influence the sq,my point was i like the nonbalance out.plus nothing in my point of view can surpass ext. Amp. You cannot pack so much in a wm1 a or z.

Aug 18, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #2,799 of 3,042
I agree with that, i build myself dac ,pream,amp etc. And it is right to say component influence the sq,my point was i like the nonbalance out.plus nothing in my point of view can surpass ext. Amp. You cannot pack so much in a wm1 a or z.
Depends on what you are powering. Unless I am completely out to lunch, to my ears the Modded 1A is on par with my Modified RME ADI-2 DAC, and in some ways surpasses it. At least with the IEM's I am using.
Now for a portable DAP to be able to do that, one that comfortably fits in my pocket, this is quite amazing. If I was driving full size headphones with a 1A...I would probably need an amplifier.
Having said that, the stock cables and Capacitors are still in the path of the audio signal, and even with an external amplifier you would hear the benefits on the upgraded internals.

Aug 18, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #2,800 of 3,042
In my experience almost everything in the chain contributes to improvements or degradation of Sound Quality.

From firmware to temperature to capacitors to micro-vibrations to shielding to sdcard to cables to tips of iems, even how dark your listening environment is can affect your perceived sound quality/enjoyment levels.

Sometimes sound quality improves if you have a cup of coffee or some whiskey.

Again everything is Your Mileage May Vary.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #2,801 of 3,042
In my experience almost everything in the chain contributes to improvements or degradation of Sound Quality.

From firmware to temperature to capacitors to micro-vibrations to shielding to cables to tips of iems, even how dark your listening envoirment is can affect your perceived sound quality/enjoyment levels.

Sometimes sound quality improves if you have a cup of coffee or some whiskey.

Again everything is Your Mileage May Vary.
Like said before i agree.I just what to exchange expérience not bashing other test and expérience.On my side i built a 3 ch. Pure class a mosfet amp. 3watt. The third ch is a virtual ground. Mosfet in class a give a tube amp analog sounding, i personnaly like tube amp. Sounding, you cannot pack 3 ch class a mosfet amp in a wm1a even if you remove non balance amp. Music is a question of taste,we all have a differente taste of what it should sound there are no bad one.

Aug 18, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #2,802 of 3,042
Like said before i agree.I just what to exchange expérience not bashing other test and expérience.On my side i built a 3 ch. Pure class a mosfet amp. 3watt. The third ch is a virtual ground. Mosfet in class a give a tube amp analog sounding, i personnaly like tube amp. Sounding, you cannot pack 3 ch class a mosfet amp in a wm1a even if you remove non balance amp. Music is a question of taste,we all have a differente taste of what it should sound there are no bad one.
And that is why I am such an DIY enthusiasts. Everyone of us have different tastes, and even with modifications, DIY can benefit the most

Aug 18, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #2,803 of 3,042
Like said before i agree.I just what to exchange expérience not bashing other test and expérience.On my side i built a 3 ch. Pure class a mosfet amp. 3watt. The third ch is a virtual ground. Mosfet in class a give a tube amp analog sounding, i personnaly like tube amp. Sounding, you cannot pack 3 ch class a mosfet amp in a wm1a even if you remove non balance amp. Music is a question of taste,we all have a differente taste of what it should sound there are
And that is why I am such an DIY enthusiasts. Everyone of us have different tastes, and even with modifications, DIY can benefit the most
👍

Aug 19, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #2,804 of 3,042
●Single-winding Latching G6KU-2F-Y (it's a $4 dollar relay, or less, btw
Hi I started thinking to maybe start looking at this relay, to see if there was any better relays out there can use, for those that want to retain both outputs...

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #2,805 of 3,042
Hi I started thinking to maybe start looking at this relay, to see if there was any better relays out there can use, for those that want to retain both outputs...
Bypassing from the coils to the Balanced jack, and not removing the relay, already retains both outputs. That is how my WM1Z is set up.
- The 4.4 mm is a double connection, through the relay, and also direct from the coils.
- The 3.5 mm works normally through the relay.

I think these are the 2 viable options. Keep the relay, with a 4.4 mm direct connection, and with both outputs retained, or remove the relay, and the 3.5 output, and use only the 4.4mm output.

Replacing the relay, if you could find a better one. But that would mainly be for the benefit of the 3.5 mm, as the 4.4 mm already has a direct wiring from the coil, so in my mind, not worth the trouble, unless for somebody set that they absolutely wanted a 3.5 mm with a better signal path.

The complication with the relay is that there are so many elements in the signal path.
- From the solder/relay contact (base metal), into the relay body/the 2 center movable contacts are connected via a spring strip (steel + ?), spot welded onto the contact,(brass or ?,) silver plated for corrosion resistance.
- The 4 fixed outer contacts connect using a base metal strip with the contact welded onto the tip.

If you lay out all the different number of solder and different metal elements in the signal path, and the very small contact area, it is a challenge to improve this area.

One possible way is to take a new relay, take it apart, and add bypass wires from the solder pad direct to the relay contact. This would provide a double signal/current path, of course, and the best that could be done. Can only theorize that this would improve the connection. No way to tell the actual result until it is tried..

For the center spring loaded contact, would need to be careful the added wire did not affect the spring tension.
As the relays are cheap, this could be worth trying, for somebody who is not scared off by working within the small space of the relay. The 2 spring contacts are the trickiest. The 4 fixed contacts should be easy to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back