Modifying WM1Z/A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 8, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #511 of 3,042
I used solvent after I twisted the caps off, not before.
Glue was left behind, and was super easy to clean off.

To be clear, I twisted them off with the glue intact.
so you twisted it off, then dap in the solvent and clean ? Wow! That is mind blowing, the coating is so strong that if not easy, you can lift off the micro chip capacitors around the regulator

Apr 8, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #512 of 3,042
For example, this guy. This is sample picture, around the regulators within those caps, I will see the coating cover several of it
EF0DF311-D7E5-4069-AEE0-F2A1423714EB.jpeg

Apr 8, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #513 of 3,042
so you twisted it off, then dap in the solvent and clean ? Wow! That is mind blowing, the coating is so strong that if not easy, you can lift off the micro chip capacitors around the regulator
I got every one of them off cleanly. Took me under 2 minutes. no damage to any of the pads, at all.
Coating is hard to lift off vertically, but has zero hold, when you twist the caps.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #514 of 3,042
So the process is a lot

I got every one of them off cleanly. Took me under 60 seconds. no damage to any of the pads, at all.
Coating is hard to lift off vertically, but has zero hold, when you twist the caps.
Make sure u don’t lift off any micro caps! Because they are Needles sizes
keep me updated

Apr 8, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #516 of 3,042
Ok, here is the appropriate thread to post my 1Z mod. Thanks to @Whitigir.

It's been very interesting couple days after found out the best possible wire for S-Master active ground. Changed from fw solis3.02 to U3.01.
Clearly, purest copper is just not good enough IMO. Good improvements overall but it darkens the background a bit too much. It's not bad. In some sense it's like listen to vinyl records. But it keep me thinking in my mind it's might not resolved enough.
Later I try silver plated and there goes all the nuance lower level details, airiness/spacious from upper mid which I missed is back. But treble might be over aggressive sometimes.
2x silver plated or silver plated + copper wires will improve soundstage and warmth overall but I feel like it lags some resolution and speed from the bass.
So now I think if I can apply the same technique from 4.4mm negative terminal mod on to this and the result is much better. 22awg OCC silver plated wires with 22awg 2mm length OCC. Solder them on each side. Here is what I have noticed so far. Treble is just prefect and extremely resolved. Sounds like real thing. Never too aggressive no matter what you throw at it. All the nuances, sparkling, airiness, and spacious in upper mid is so addictive to listen. Never thought it would possible for 1Z but there it is. Resolution is extended even more, dynamic is heavier fast, very detail soundstage 3D like, depth has more details, longer decays and go even fairer back. All that make everything much more fun, addictive and very satisfying. Classical, vocalist records are so warmth, emotional, and very romantic. Much clearer and better isolation between instruments and vocals separation. Lower mid Sony sound signature is all there and even better (Loose it if use single silver plated wire). Sub-bass is fast, heavy, extended, and slower decays.

It turns out just copper wire for battery will make everything a bit more vailed. Silver plated makes treble north from neutral. Mixed two type of wires together will take care of those peoblems.
After all that, it seem battery runtime is lower now by 15 maybe 20%. I think my 1Z is so resolves now even connect to charger I can hear a small improvement in SQ. Maybe now I have to turn off battery saving mode to get the most out of it.
Thank you bro, nice to share this !

Apr 8, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #517 of 3,042
My wm1z just got to china took 5 days dang covid-19.

Will keep updates once it starts to shipp back home.

Yes I decided to go with Romi Audio

Apr 8, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #518 of 3,042
Hi everyone. I just got to the party and couldn't download the roms released so far. I tried to download them through the links but was unsuccessful. I would appreciate if someone could share me the links to download the roms (Ultimate, Mercury, Jupiter, Solis, etc.) and test them on my Sony WM1A. Thank you in advanced and many thanks to @Whitigir and @Morbideath for this work.

Apr 8, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #519 of 3,042
Apr 8, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #520 of 3,042
My wm1z just got to china took 5 days dang covid-19.

Will keep updates once it starts to shipp back home.

Yes I decided to go with Romi Audio
Can you explain the modifications made by Romi Audio ?
And how much this mod cost ?

Apr 8, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #521 of 3,042
Can you explain the modifications made by Romi Audio ?
And how much this mod cost ?

Yea sure.

If you would like to further more contact Romi Audio the best way would be via Facebook.
Just type romi audio.

The best part of the mod is the super rare blackgate caps, there will be 18 of them. Its about 60% of caps replaced. Cant replace them all they are twice bigger oem caps...
Also the copper plate will be removed and replaced by copper being melt and spread on strategic elements to cut the interferences.

Balanced connector will be replaced with a new one and cables replaced for sensation with copper shielding and its an pure silver alloy. 8 wires for balanced and unbalanced.

Battery replaced and the battery wires replaced for occ litz.

All this should sound like an Lp vinyl .
Impressive resolution and transparency with a natural warm sound.
No treble elevation or hotness.
With amazing sound performance.
Also should be very airy and outstanding soundstage perception.

Blackgate caps require 400 hours of burn in !

Price was 2300 shipped in Canadian $

:wink: :gs1000smile:

Apr 8, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #522 of 3,042
I am excited for you @Vitaly2017

My 2 cents about Romni Audio mod is that it is an extensive hardware modifications that aims toward making and brining the Walkmans to absolute limits. This modifications together with firmware will bring out a lot of the Walkman WM1A or Z
The Mod is so very complicated that not many places would offered it

Apr 8, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #523 of 3,042
Oh yes you are absolutely right on that one @Whitigir !

This mod is very special, it is many thanks to you and your fabulous sharing of mods and tests with different things that you showed us.
I am now an very informed and competent audiophile now !

I can easily pick and understand what the mod will be about and not having a look of a total Noob hahaha. Of course I am not a pro I am sure you can still make me confused hihi.

I am waiting impatiently for my mod and hopefully it comes back safely. But again I have some big tought ba....l..s lol to send my 1z in such pandemic period and in an unknown place in China who know what can happened. I only hope for the best and super confident with my move!

Took me many months of studying and acquiring knowledge about mods.

Indeed Romi is 1 amazing mod that is worth all the risks!

Apr 8, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #524 of 3,042
@Whitigir

Am I dreaming or its a possible reality that wm1z + romi mod can be as performant as dmp?

I didn't find the Dmp signature to my taste vs wm1z...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back