Modifying WM1Z/A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 7, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #16 of 3,042
Sold my wm1z but I miss the barely generated heat when in the pocket. Since I have wire Z1R...I am back!!!

modified wm1A

Cables is Pure gold from Jade Audio
BB70E4A3-CE2E-4F38-86CF-3C9573E308E9.jpegB6A2283E-FB3E-420F-BB8C-D114A6C0ECAB.jpegB2D267DA-F5FD-422C-9242-5B089CDAFC04.jpeg02EBAD42-DEE5-4911-A54E-9445A8F95875.jpeg10F58BD6-7AF6-4EA4-9361-549F46484A88.jpeg

Feb 7, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #17 of 3,042
Just pure awesomeness sir! Don’t left your pal hanging alone in an unmodded world!

Feb 8, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #18 of 3,042
Wish I could do these things but I'd end up with a broken wm1a

Feb 14, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #20 of 3,042
So, even with the improved dynamic and power capability from the power supply sections. I keep craving for that Trebles and airiness. Literally, moar!!!

I started the second stage of modification for WM1A Extreme Modification or WM1A-EM

The thought of

1/ the wm1z has better F-Resistors which IMO is a tightly precised tolerance Thin Film, the differences is that it was developed by Sony. However, the technology to make them should be the same , and the very same values for WM1A won’t be found...at least I couldn’t find it from the brands I trusted.
It also occurred to me that WM1A has higher gain in loudness than WM1Z, which I like and prefer, also confirmed the different values of resistor types

Next to that MELF is very well known to be audiophile quality. The 2% tolerances can clearly be seen on the WM1A as the highest for this values. What makes MeLF better for audio performances is that it constructions allows virtually zero vibrations from piezoelectric

2/ The Wm1Z has a much better performances due to all the upgraded caps, and the effects were so Vastly observed with the first stage. So what if output capacitors can also receive audio-grade superior Electrolytic Caps ?

Then DMP Z1 and ZX500 are all with next gen caps

The idea is to get more power reserved and potentials while minimizing the acoustic vibrations with the Fine voicing at frequencies or Q factors. This will show improvements across the spectrums. At least it should improves the tonal body and signature voicing

The works are Hard, very Hard, due to the fact that the positioning and arrangements of Caps lay-out. After each caps got a direction to stay in, I had to put the chassis together to make sure that it stay in. Be creative!!!

This works need chassis modifications too!! Trimming, drilling, cutting...whatever means to make it works.

The caps Diameter has to be less than 5mm if it is long, because the legs will protrude enough to be very tight. if the caps is less than 6mm in length, the diameter could go for 6.5mm and still fit.

Luckily, there are 2 Nichicon audio grade that fit. UKA, which I love so much (it has excellent bass dynamic, density, ripples, deep, and the whole signatures is tube like fluidity while still neutral without too much emphasis into mid and low)

Then there is UMW series that can also fit. But I trusted UKA, and even with a little more work. I got it in Finally!!!

16V and 100uF in values

The immediate observations ?

Bass: almost gone....but it will surface with burn in, good textures and deep bass resolutions can be observed. OHHH and that decay, resonances, ripples are all so vivid now...no more softness. Should improve as burn in commenced

Soundstage: hugely expanded in Depth and vertical axis. The width may also increased a little but not as pronounced as vertical and depth

signatures: surprisingly is more neutral than the one Sony used, last gen FT-Polymer

Due to the soundstage expansions, the more neutral signatures, the clarity and airiness is up a couple notches. That thick and dense lower trebles from Sony remains but with better sparkles in it textures and better ernergy density. The density is at least 50% improved. Now, the sparkling extensions of upper highs ? Which is always the sound I strive for....It sparkles !!!! But in an organic tone, and analog like!!!! Metallic sparkling !!! Yes !!!!

48EAA1A2-971E-43E2-87EA-35AAB6D2221E.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #21 of 3,042
That is some really cool improvements over stock 1a and sounds like wow the real beauty and shine :)

Its very impressive that you are able to do so much diy on your self with 1a, I wish I knew how to do all this hehe :) :) :)

When you talked about metalic sparkle in treble it is exactly how my tia trio does with 1z, the tonality of that resonance is metalic feel like! With ripley fast dynamic visceral bass explosion.

I am atm auditioning Fir audio m4 and m5, its really impressive how more vivide and roomier everything is perceived. I can only imagine how it can shine with your moded 1a hehe.

would be great if you had a 1z to compare the 1a moded, maybe you can a/b it vs dmp-z1?

Feb 14, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #22 of 3,042
That is some really cool improvements over stock 1a and sounds like wow the real beauty and shine :)

Its very impressive that you are able to do so much diy on your self with 1a, I wish I knew how to do all this hehe :) :) :)

When you talked about metalic sparkle in treble it is exactly how my tia trio does with 1z, the tonality of that resonance is metalic feel like! With ripley fast dynamic visceral bass explosion.

I am atm auditioning Fir audio m4 and m5, its really impressive how more vivide and roomier everything is perceived. I can only imagine how it can shine with your moded 1a hehe.

would be great if you had a 1z to compare the 1a moded, maybe you can a/b it vs dmp-z1?

What do you think Triggered me to develop WM1A EM mod ? :wink:

My pure enthusiasts forbid me to walk in the dark and blindly toss in parts.

this trebles sparkling can be Found from WM1Z even modified, but won’t be as detailed and Rhythmic as DMP Z1, the stock WM1A has almost none of it, except some bright recordings but it becomes harsh here and there

This here is closing in onto DMP-Z1 in miniaturized form. Still it can not be on the same tier, but atleast it is portable with similar satisfying characters

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #23 of 3,042
I am glad 1z is still more unique then 1a even moded hehe, makes me even want to run and mod 1z asap LoL

I never heard 1a, from what I understand and I did find that aspect about 1z when I was comparing it to n6ii and N8, I found 1z's treble special. It has a unique zing that only ier-z1r could show it very clearly. Other iems seems to replicate it differently. Also ier-z1r sounded always the best out of 1z, had best nuances and details and textures, nothing lighted up z1r like 1z...

But my tastes are different and I really enjoyed tia trio until I listened to Fir audio m4 and m5 yesterday lmao. This is a true tubless galor! The m5 estat is just remarkable with 1z. I can feel and taste the music, when I listen to orchestra or live recordings in like a concert hall, I can feel the room and every thickness of each notes! Like its not just sound its the wavy air of the note that I am tasting. I find m5 treble from estat insane accurate and lifelike even more then ier-z1r.
I highly recommend you trie Fir audio M5 I think its wins over z1rs.

Feb 14, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #24 of 3,042
I meant the DMP-Z1, and not modified WM1Z

yeah, I know Sony is confusing. But this is taking it much more advanced than WM1Z stock or even internal wires modifications

The WM1A stock was inferior to WM1Z in a very obvious way with bass not as deep and fine, trebles also couldn’t be as detailed or beautifully extended

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #25 of 3,042
you changed a lot of caps on 1a, I wonder how much are those better vs the one on current 1z and even you could buy zx-500 and snag the caps from there and put them into 1a!!! Since they are no where available to purchase :)

That is now official a diy mod money no subjective limit HAhaha

Feb 14, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #26 of 3,042
you changed a lot of caps on 1a, I wonder how much are those better vs the one on current 1z and even you could buy zx-500 and snag the caps from there and put them into 1a!!! Since they are no where available to purchase :)

That is now official a diy mod money no subjective limit HAhaha

that isnt it. The FT-Caps inside DMP-Z1 and ZX500 can always be swapped for a better one. In order to know which one is better, you will have to study into the parameters of it.
These caps are all superior to those FT-Caps, even with the newest generations FT

Swapping from ZX500 into WM1A or Z is a meaningless and wasteful process

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #27 of 3,042
Welcome back. Once you get into the world of modding, you can't get out. :D

45939439_10217575071839282_4963036943358099456_o.jpg

Feb 18, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #30 of 3,042
I replaced the capacitors in my iPod shuffle with capacitors I made with jaguar urine. I believe that the bass speed has improved. Jaguars are fast animals, so it makes sense that their urine is a fast electrolyte. Has anyone tried a similar mod with the WM1Z/A?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back