Modifying WM1Z/A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 19, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #31 of 3,042
I replaced the capacitors in my iPod shuffle with capacitors I made with jaguar urine. I believe that the bass speed has improved. Jaguars are fast animals, so it makes sense that their urine is a fast electrolyte. Has anyone tried a similar mod with the WM1Z/A?
Shark!! Not Jaguar.
Try it again, and the shark has to be swimming in the ocean , when you jar it.
Good luck.

P.S. It's easier to try out the different caps (Preferably Teflon with Plated metal foil ) with your own two ears, animal piss is optional. By the way Science section is to the Left <<<<<<<<<<<
Cheers.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #33 of 3,042
Science ? It is to do things and experiments, not to make fun of things you never witness or worse when you can’t even handle an iron. But the world is beautiful and the internet is full of hypocrites and trolls, so let them be
Most trolls, often with the least amount of hands on experience, try to use science as a basis of their arguments. It's almost like a cult/religion.
Anyways, I wish I could hear your MODS, great work.

Feb 19, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #34 of 3,042
I swapped out the Battery small OFC Wires from battery into the UPOCC Litz with cotton cores. There are a couple notes

I have experienced with Power supply for desktop and so on, the cables between the PSU into the device itself usually have a very minor barely noticeable improvements (yes there are improvements) that isn’t even worth taking times for.....but inside the WalkMan! OMG....never thought it would do this much

1/ the 22awg were huge and would hardly fit....the problem is because you don’t want to slip or have the iron touching the other terminal, even if taped up....so it was a challenge. I would think 24 is easier and 26awg is ideal

2/ the materials being used has the same voicing in improving as if it was with internal headphones socket wires. So, no need to roll wires here

3/ definitely watch out some Li-ion battery flaming videos to learn and respect it before touching and poking it

4/ the ratios of gains go from : Capacitors >>> internal wires >> battery wires > solder materials ....but virtually every bit counts!

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #35 of 3,042
Science ? It is to do things and experiments, not to make fun of things you never witness or worse when you can’t even handle an iron. But the world is beautiful and the internet is full of hypocrites and trolls, so let them be
just messing around.
There seem to be a few cold joints in your wm1a. The solder surface should be even and not look rough or lumpy. This could lead to unreliable connections.

Feb 20, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #36 of 3,042
just messing around.
There seem to be a few cold joints in your wm1a. The solder surface should be even and not look rough or lumpy. This could lead to unreliable connections.
Yeah, that is the least that I would worry about. Ever tried to put together an Electrostatic amplifiers ? The reason I asked because Cold joints do funny things there

Feb 20, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #37 of 3,042
Yeah, that is the least that I would worry about. Ever tried to put together an Electrostatic amplifiers ? The reason I asked because Cold joints do funny things there
I have a Gilmore CFA halfway put together. Cold joints are trouble regardless of the circuit. The cold joints may have no effect on the sound, but they can cause the player to break in the future, especially since this is a portable device.

Feb 20, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #38 of 3,042
I have a Gilmore CFA halfway put together. Cold joints are trouble regardless of the circuit. The cold joints may have no effect on the sound, but they can cause the player to break in the future, especially since this is a portable device.
Wait until you finish putting KG T2 together successfully and come back to my solder joints.

Anyways, when you are done messing around, let me know how far along you have progressed with modifying walkmans. Any of them are welcome here. Let’s keep it on topic

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #39 of 3,042
Wait until you finish putting KG T2 together successfully and come back to my solder joints.

Anyways, when you are done messing around, let me know how far along you have progressed with modifying walkmans. Any of them are welcome here. Let’s keep it on topic
What capacitors should I replace in a wm-2? I'm trying to listen to this Al B. Sure! tape I found on the ground in a parking lot, but i want to make sure it sounds good. I'm not making a joke by the way, the caps in this thing are really old and probably should be replaced.

Feb 24, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #40 of 3,042
The Specifications for the Capacitors being used and tuned specifically for my WM1A-EM are as follow
5087CFA9-88BB-4CC6-B3B8-E757AA492EAA.jpeg
Yellow: 647-UKA1C221MED1TD
Green: 661-EKZH160E101ME11D
Red: TK 16V/47 uf Jovial audiograde 5mm diameter
D9478775-E39E-4A7B-A0C5-EB1A4506058C.jpeg
Orange: 647-UKA1C101MDD

Parts are all Mouser, except TK capacitors. I recommend buying from Japan reputable sources. You can substitute for other with given specs

This modifications is voiced the best with Pure Gold internal wires. You can buy from Jade Audio Pure Gold Interconnect and modify it to fit

Remember to always test fit the board and drop into the chassis after each caps are in and upgraded. So you will have it fit correctly. Buy many for spares as fitting it will be an issues. Back copper chassis may need some modifications ....trimming....etc

The same for the top balanced output capacitors. The Black back plate is made by special plastic. You can use a plyer and wiggles the plastic back and forth to take it off

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #41 of 3,042
The Specifications for the Capacitors being used and tuned specifically for my WM1A-EM are as follow
5087CFA9-88BB-4CC6-B3B8-E757AA492EAA.jpeg
Yellow: 647-UKA1C221MED1TD
Green: 661-EKZH160E101ME11D
Red: TK 16V/47 uf Jovial audiograde 5mm diameter
D9478775-E39E-4A7B-A0C5-EB1A4506058C.jpeg
Orange: 647-UKA1C101MDD

Parts are all Mouser, except TK capacitors. I recommend buying from Japan reputable sources. You can substitute for other with given specs

This modifications is voiced the best with Pure Gold internal wires. You can buy from Jade Audio Pure Gold Interconnect and modify it to fit
Thank You!!!

Feb 24, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #42 of 3,042
Thank You!!!
Do not use the Copper Shield on the Inductors...it brings more noises rather than minimizing it. You can use the copper foil on S-Master, you can have better details retrieval’s but at higher noises, which won’t matter unless you have very sensitive IEMS

You can use Magnetic absorbing shield TDK-sheets on S-Master as well, it will dull out the treble textures but you have much lower noises. Stock S-Master has it applied, if you choose more details with copper foil, remember to remove the stock magnetic foil.
You can try other EMI reduction materials such as Quantum stickers. I have yet to try it out

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back