Modifying the Xiang Sheng 708B [56K!!!!]
Apr 3, 2011 at 5:44 AM Post #212 of 223
Hi all,

In answer to the above, yes the vol pot greatly affects gain and is pretty poor.

My 708B stopped working a month or so ago.  I noticed that the output phono connectors were badly corroded! (gold plated?)  When I opened it up, the 6z4 had dropped through.  2 of the soldered terminals were broken.  I just re-soldered them, removed the wire tube clips(the cause), and fitted quality phonos.  All working again!

Upon reading this brilliant thread, I was inspired!  

Here are the mods that I have made so far.

1-Changed the 6n3 for a russian 6n3p-  more gain, clarity, detail.
2-Changed input wiring to ofc/ silver plated- again, more clarity, detail, much improved treble.
3-Changed 2 rear valves to russian 6n23p- at first very bright, but after 2 hours running became very smooth, with typical old school valve sound.  Fab mid range and treble.
4-Changed vol pot to Audio Note(100k), ofc/ silver wired output, replaced output resistors with Kiwame.  Now sounds very smooth, detailed, holographic.  Treble is all there, but clean.  There was some distortion in mids/highs prior to this part of the upgrade, now totally gone.  There was a big drop in gain with the Audio Note pot, but now more realistic.  The old pot only hit about 8 o'clock to give high volume.  I kept the original knob by using next size up drill bit to enlarge the hole size.  Had to file the front panel hole to fit.  It works great and all looks original.
The amp just sounds amazing.  I am using a high end Alchemist DAC with Audioquest Diamond and a pair of stunning Beyer DT990 600ohm.  Each upgrade has been very easy to hear.  I am looking at changing the output caps next.

Sep 19, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #213 of 223
I'm looking at buying some caps for my 708B, namely some to replace the Wimas (C104,C204), and I've found these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Russian-PIO-Capacitor-K40Y-9-0-22-uF-400V-1-pc-or-more-/220744543407?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3365666caf

Would these work okay? I understand that they are PIO and not metalised mylar as per the Wimas, but not sure whether they will be good to use?

Oct 4, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #214 of 223
Can anyone confirm that the values for R107 and 207 are 1/2W 1kohm resistors and the headphone output resistors are 10 ohm 2W?
On page 1 the input resistors are shown as 1/2 and 1 watt (don't know which one is correct), and page 1 also shows 2 W and 1 W for the output resistors. I just want to make sure I have the right values before I order.

Oct 20, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #215 of 223
Just finished modding my 708B. Did a recap and swapped all the resistors for Kiwame/Vishay Dralorics etc.

I have two problems with it now though, which is annoying. The first issue is I bought a cheapo version of a Neutrik locking headphone socket, and it's crap. The socket allows the 6.35mm plug to wobble about and it loses connection. The second issue is that I have a low frequency humming on the right channel. It's not volume dependant, and starts almost as soon as the amp is powered on. It's intrusively loud, so I need to have a fiddle to see what the issue might be.

I removed the preamp output caps (to make room on the PCB) and resistors R9 and R10, but I'm pretty sure that's nothing to do with the hum as it's only coming through one channel.

@ vrao81 - all the resistors you mention in your post I used 2W versions of in my build.

Aug 23, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #219 of 223
I have two. One was tweaked by my hi fi guru lampizator
lampizator.eu/AMPLIFIERS/PRE/Mini%20pre/Subminiature_pre.html

That really has nothing to do with the 708B as the only things that remained was the chassis and power supply section. All of the important parts that make it an amplifier was completely gone. All you have there is a preamp, that's it. It's pretty much pointless in this thread.

And on that note, here's my old 708B amp that I just pulled out of mothballs today. Hooked it up, fired it up and... Still works! Still sounds pretty darn good as well, even with these rather demanding headphones of mine. 

Dec 21, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #220 of 223
So picked one of these up very cheaply and I'm looking to have a play. It looks stock internally but as you can imagine with some of the original posts being from 2007 we are well into necroposting territory. Frankly I'm amazed some images that are still linked work. 

Are any of the modders still about? 

Jan 27, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #221 of 223
  So picked one of these up very cheaply and I'm looking to have a play. It looks stock internally but as you can imagine with some of the original posts being from 2007 we are well into necroposting territory. Frankly I'm amazed some images that are still linked work. 

Are any of the modders still about? 

I still have all the original pictures on a CD-ROM in storage somewhere. Someday I'd like to re-upload them to this thread as attachments instead of hosted images. :)

Aug 25, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #222 of 223
Today I actually found the CD that had all the old pics on it and I'm beginning the long process of adding them to my gallery and editing in new links. Even though this is a legacy thread, having it back to 100% will help me sleep a little better at night, lol.

Dec 18, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #223 of 223
Great thread, i just bought one these in 2023 and it sounds good, cant wait to start the mods, although it has been revised over the years, layout of the amp looks very different today than back in 2007.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back