modifying new style ue cable for alien ears g8 with recesed socket?
Nov 13, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #2 of 7
They won't work. The pins are recessed inside the angled housing. Modding it wouldn't be worth the trouble.

You might as well buy pins like these and get your existing cable changed out:

Or, buy one of these cables:

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #3 of 7
What cables are the second ones i like those. I was thinking about just cutting the ends back with a dremil because i like the ue cables the old style ones i get usually out last any other cable

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #4 of 7
Don't take a Dremel to your cables. It won't end well.

The cables at the bottom are from Cosmic Ears (http://www.head-fi.org/t/626714/cosmic-ears-new-ciem-company-with-great-prices-including-hybrid-designs).

It's not exclusive to them; a number of European CIEM manufacturers are switching to this type of cable, including, but not limited to:
Vision Ears (http://www.head-fi.org/t/682142/vision-ears-and-rhines-custom-monitors-formerly-compact-monitors)
Livezoner41 (http://www.head-fi.org/t/683632/livezoner41-italian-ciems-impressions-appreciation-thread)

Currently, these are the only three custom IEM manufacturers that I know are using this type of cable, but there will probably be more following suit.

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #5 of 7
For most people it wouldn't end end well most of the time if i try something it works fine lol. But if other companys have it i will most likely go with them thanks for the input i had a hard time finding that type of cable any where else

Nov 14, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #6 of 7
  For most people it wouldn't end end well most of the time if i try something it works fine lol. But if other companys have it i will most likely go with them thanks for the input i had a hard time finding that type of cable any where else

I'm not doubting your DIY/modding skills. It's just that the UE cable seems to be designed with the shroud as a structural support. If you remove it, there will probably be far too many torsional forces exerted on the pins, since they now don't have anything to help support them. I envision the pins breaking off pretty easily. They aren't like the traditional two-pin design, where the pins extend into the overmold; if you look closely at the UE cable, you'll see that the soldering joint is really close to the barrier.

Nov 14, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #7 of 7
I was unaware being as though i have never seen them in person i was thinking trimming them back would work because my molds sockets are recessed into the shell i was going to make it firm with the shell and depend more on the shell for support so it wouldent be the pins taking all the stress but these cables from cosmic ears dont have the pins inside like the ue cable its just the same style pin end but with that newer style bend right ? Sorry for craply structured writing i have been using my phone for everything its a pain

Users who are viewing this thread

Back