Modified M2tech Hiface Units
Apr 5, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #16 of 41
I'm not sure what's happening on this thread - I made a post which disappeared & I edited a post which then appeared twice?

Anyway here's the post that disppeared:
Hi David (Hawkhead), Thanks for dropping by & posting the full review. How do you now find the sound after living with it for a while now. Anything else to add?

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #17 of 41
Thanks guys for the support
smile.gif

Fujak, you don't need to charge them to 3.7V - I've used a 3V regulated charger that puts out 3.4V - charges them to about 90% of their capacity. Get yourself a battery & experiment - it's well worth the effort on clock supplies.

Apr 5, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #18 of 41
I know John has been upset about some of my suggestions to right too.
However I feel he has done exceptional work and what he's charging won't even buy him a pint. Keep up the good work!

PS And that's an apology John!

Apr 8, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #20 of 41
1) Can the batteries be left charging while they are in use so that they never die?
2) Do you supply a USB cable to connect the computer to the modded HiFace? Clearly, that big case can't be plugged into the computer directly with the USB port just sticking out like that.

Apr 8, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #21 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) Can the batteries be left charging while they are in use so that they never die?

No, it's not recommended - you are then driving your Hiface with the charger PS & the battery is just like a capacitor. BUT here's the way I have it organised - the on/off switch on the front controls where the battery is connected to - on it is connected to Hiface & running it; off - it is connected to charger socket. SO when you turn off you are charging the batteries. Good, eh!

Quote:

2) Do you supply a USB cable to connect the computer to the modded HiFace? Clearly, that big case can't be plugged into the computer directly with the USB port just sticking out like that.

Yes, my modified USB cable also brings value as it allows you to supply the 5V externally to the HiFace instead of the USB 5V supply.

So with this you are completely independent of the computer's power supply.

Apr 8, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #22 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by jkeny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, it's not recommended - you are then driving your Hiface with the charger PS & the battery is just like a capacitor. BUT here's the way I have it organised - the on/off switch on the front controls where the battery is connected to - on it is connected to Hiface & running it; off - it is connected to charger socket. SO when you turn off you are charging the batteries. Good, eh!

That's neat. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkeny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, my modified USB cable also brings value as it allows you to supply the 5V externally to the HiFace instead of the USB 5V supply.
So with this you are completely independent of the computer's power supply.

What if you just want to use the 5V from the computer USB? How would you connect the modded HiFace to the computer? All I see is a male USB socket protruding from the black case...surely we can't be expected to plug that bulky device directly into a USB port. That's what I meant when I asked if you would supply a cable to connect the computer to the HiFace. I don't want to use an external PS.

Apr 8, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's neat. Thanks.

What if you just want to use the 5V from the computer USB? How would you connect the modded HiFace to the computer? All I see is a male USB socket protruding from the black case...surely we can't be expected to plug that bulky device directly into a USB port. That's what I meant when I asked if you would supply a cable to connect the computer to the HiFace. I don't want to use an external PS.

Just use a standard USB cable extension - male at one end female at the other or use your favourite USB "audiophile" cable at 200-300 GB pounds ($300-$400)

Apr 8, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #24 of 41
No need for an expensive USB cable as this is an asynch USB device.
The DR-510 is excellent for the coaxial output.

Apr 8, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #26 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by rosgr63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No need for an expensive USB cable as this is an asynch USB device.
The DR-510 is excellent for the coaxial output.

Yes, but asynch doesn't sort out everything (it only deals with the clocking issue) - listen to what Steve (Empirical Audio) & Gordon (Wavelength) as well as others here have to say - if the power is not coming over the USB cable then, yes a cheap cable is probably as good as any other (as long as the USB signals are healthy). If 5V power is being fed from the computer's USB port then both the quality of that power is important & what's also important is the interference that it might impose on the USB signal carrying wires within the same USB cable

Apr 8, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is a neat way to provide a better power supply and isolate the ground from the pc. Got one on order so will let you know what I think.

Ultravox - SGD60.00 : Welcome to the diyparadise e-store!

Ah I see DiYparadise listen in to the DIY audio sites BUT be careful - this ADUM works up to 12Mbps (full-speed) & may not work with the HiFAce or Musiland which are both high-speed USB 2 devices operating at 480Mbps.

Now somebody has measured the throughput of the data at 24/192 on the cable & it is a lot less than 480Mbps. So it may work & it may not - it would be interesting to know.

Still need to provide an external PS " Quote:

Need to provide DC voltage. 7-25VDC is fine."

Apr 8, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #28 of 41
Hi jkeny, good to see your still keeping the momentum up for these devices, very very nice mods to the hiface by the way, hi-end for peanuts, love it.

Should have this ultravox mid next week and see if it works. Problem is I can only check with a Musiland 01usd as I havent yet taken the plunge with the hiface. But it might be enough to see it it will work in principle. Will use it with a 12v SLA and smps to compare. I like the look of the galvanic isolation of the ground, fingers crossed.

Apr 8, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #29 of 41
jkeny I was following your thread at diyaudio and your quest to isolate usb.

you could try to get a pci-usb controller card and mod it with its own psu, to shut out power from the pc. could even shield the thing.

Just something to think about.. you sound like you could make something like that happen.

Apr 8, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi jkeny, good to see your still keeping the momentum up for these devices, very very nice mods to the hiface by the way, hi-end for peanuts, love it.

Thanks. Yes, it is hi-end low-jitter sound for peanuts
icon10.gif

Quote:

Should have this ultravox mid next week and see if it works. Problem is I can only check with a Musiland 01usd as I havent yet taken the plunge with the hiface. But it might be enough to see it it will work in principle. Will use it with a 12v SLA and smps to compare. I like the look of the galvanic isolation of the ground, fingers crossed.

Keep us informed, Wood

Users who are viewing this thread

Back