Modified M2tech Hiface Units
Apr 8, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #31 of 41
jkeny, if I do want to use an external 5V PSU like this one: http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/Products/ProdDS/164101.pdf

Would you be able to make a USB cable with the correct terminations to connect that linear regulator to the HiFace? How would one connect the HiFace to the computer then seeing as how the USB port on the HiFace would be occupied by your custom cable to connect to the PSU?

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #32 of 41
I will provide a DC 2.1mm socket (as this seems to be the common standard) - how you plug into this is really up to you - you can get converters for various plug sizes, I believe.

The USB cable still plugs into the hiface & computer

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by jkeny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will provide a DC 2.1mm socket (as this seems to be the common standard) - how you plug into this is really up to you - you can get converters for various plug sizes, I believe.

The USB cable still plugs into the hiface & computer

2.1mm x 5.5mm I'm assuming? If so, then it'll fit the adapter I linked to.

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by jkeny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, but asynch doesn't sort out everything (it only deals with the clocking issue) - listen to what Steve (Empirical Audio) & Gordon (Wavelength) as well as others here have to say - if the power is not coming over the USB cable then, yes a cheap cable is probably as good as any other (as long as the USB signals are healthy). If 5V power is being fed from the computer's USB port then both the quality of that power is important & what's also important is the interference that it might impose on the USB signal carrying wires within the same USB cable

Agree, the idea of using your cable which is reasonably priced with an external power supply is the best choice. There is no need for an audiophile grade USB cable.

Apr 9, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #36 of 41
Do you find it necceassry for two batteries or can you run wih one powering both sections and not suffer an SQ loss? Are the two batteries for SQ or long life between chargings?

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #37 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you find it necceassry for two batteries or can you run wih one powering both sections and not suffer an SQ loss? Are the two batteries for SQ or long life between chargings?

I've split the supplies on the unboxed version so people can experiment; the boxed version is done to the highest spec

Apr 22, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #38 of 41
I just got mine last week. Its shockingly good but it lacks body and many of things that seem to be corrected by the mods mentioned here.

John, is it possible to show us some pics of your mods? I know PS is everything for all electronics and battery is the grail. I'm very keen to give it a try.

If you're selling these modded then sorry if I'm asking your trade secret. I just went to your site but there's no mention of cost so I'm confused if this is a public or private mod.

May 28, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #41 of 41
So how does it look like the current selling unboxed modificaton? There are some pictures with some white battery connector but apparently that's an older version. What is the battery connection now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back