(Modi or Bifrost) vs (Magni or Asgard 2)
Jun 10, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #16 of 34
Quote:
I play music in lossless CD rips,mp3 256-320Kbps but also listen to video on youtube but why do you want to know that?

That'll determine your benefit from a DAC. 256/320Kbps tracks and YouTube audio do, of course, benefit from the better DAC, but you'll get the most improvement with your lossless CD rips. Now, the Modi played my lossless 16/44.1 stuff great, but you'd get so much out of the Bifrost if a good chunk of your library is lossless CD rips (or higher!). However, the Bifrost is kinda pricey. Maybe it would be best if you went with the Asgard 2 and the Modi. That would wind up being $350. A Magni and Bifrost w/USB would be $550 (450 without USB). In the end, it's all up to you. Schiit has a great return policy, and in the Hifi space, you really have to just try stuff out for yourself. So, pick a combo, try it out, and if you don't like it, send it back! 

Jun 10, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:
Go all out. You'll end up there anyway.

Pretty much :p but that strategy doesn't work for all of us! Also, one of the best parts of Hifi is the journey from your first rig to end game. You can skip to the end (if you've got/are willing to spend the scratch) but you miss all the little moments that you get each time you change something in your rig.

Jun 10, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #19 of 34
Quote:
Pretty much :p but that strategy doesn't work for all of us! Also, one of the best parts of Hifi is the journey from your first rig to end game. You can skip to the end (if you've got/are willing to spend the scratch) but you miss all the little moments that you get each time you change something in your rig.

Who said Asgard 2/Bifrost is the end? I just think it is a solid setup that can last you a couple of years easy.

Jun 10, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #20 of 34
Quote:
ok but what about modular DACs. Are they too expensive for a 400/500$ budget?

The Bifrost is the only modular DAC I'm aware of that most people can realistically buy. The most you can do with other DACs is roll opamps or tubes. For $500 they can be expensive, if that's all you're spending on the DAC and the amp, considering the Bifrost is already $349 plus another $100 for the USB module. If you can add another $250 for the Asgard, then I'd say it's a good investment. Otherwise, get the Asgard or a similarly well-regarded amp now and consider another DAC with both coming in at or under $500.

It's really more of a convenience issue than cost. You can spend, say, $200 to $250 on a decent DAC now, then in a few years upgrade to a totally different DAC; or you can spend $349(+$100) on the Bifrost now and in a few years buy upgraded parts at $100 or so each. IF you already like the sound of the Bifrost, that's great, since upgrades will likely just refine the sound or allow for connectivity and music format options later, since that's what Schiit really was making it future-proof for. However, since you have not heard the Bifrost yet and are not sure if you like it, it's not something that we can give you a simple answer for.

Jun 10, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

The Bifrost is the only modular DAC I'm aware of that most people can realistically buy. The most you can do with other DACs is roll opamps or tubes. For $500 they can be expensive, if that's all you're spending on the DAC and the amp, considering the Bifrost is already $349 plus another $100 for the USB module. If you can add another $250 for the Asgard, then I'd say it's a good investment. Otherwise, get the Asgard or a similarly well-regarded amp now and consider another DAC with both coming in at or under $500.

It's really more of a convenience issue than cost. You can spend, say, $200 to $250 on a decent DAC now, then in a few years upgrade to a totally different DAC; or you can spend $349(+$100) on the Bifrost now and in a few years buy upgraded parts at $100 or so each. IF you already like the sound of the Bifrost, that's great, since upgrades will likely just refine the sound or allow for connectivity and music format options later, since that's what Schiit really was making it future-proof for. However, since you have not heard the Bifrost yet and are not sure if you like it, it's not something that we can give you a simple answer for.

Audio-GD makes one called Compass 2 that uses modules for the dac chips and another for the op-amps. It isn't all that expensive either. You are correct in that there are very few that offer any kind of easy upgrade. I would be interested to know actually how the Bifrost compares with the Compass2 dac.

Jun 10, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #22 of 34
Quote:
 Audio-GD makes one called Compass 2 that uses modules for the dac chips and another for the op-amps. It isn't all that expensive either. You are correct in that there are very few that offer any kind of easy upgrade. I would be interested to know actually how the Bifrost compares with the Compass2 dac.

Ah well so there's at least one more. It's been a while since I last listened to the original Compass, and it had the other op amp that seemed a bit too warm for me, but take note my standards for a "musical" system/source means a nimble PRAT more than a warm tone.

Jun 11, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #23 of 34
Quote:
Go all out. You'll end up there anyway. Ask Jason if he has any B-Stock, you might save a few bucks this way.

GOOD IDEA! but who is @Jason?give me some information about him please...perhaps I can really save some $s...

Jun 11, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #24 of 34
Quote:
Schiit has a great return policy, and in the Hifi space, you really have to just try stuff out for yourself. So, pick a combo, try it out, and if you don't like it, send it back! 

That's new for me.What about it?I buy something and then I can return it some months later?

Jun 11, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #25 of 34
Another doubt about Schiit is the lack of outputs except for the rca.I say that because on the essence one there's the balanced and the spdif output...maybe in the future I could attach it some active speakers or something else...

Jun 11, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #26 of 34
Quote:
GOOD IDEA! but who is @Jason?

Jason is the Co-Head/Co-founder of Schiit. His email is on the website. 

That's new for me.What about it?I buy something and then I can return it some months later?

You have a 30 day no-questions-asked return policy. Just as long as you pay shipping back, and you didn't horrible mutilate the amp/dac, they'll give you a refund.  You also get a 5-year warranty (2yr for Magni and Modi)! They'll fix any problems or send you a new one as long as you didn't intentionally cause the damage.

Another doubt about Schiit is the lack of outputs except for the rca.I say that because on the essence one there's the balanced and the spdif output...maybe in the future I could attach it some active speakers or something else...

RCA can go into speakers! But if you want balanced, I understand. 

Jun 11, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #29 of 34
Quote:
:/ can they both be run simultaneously? (on anything?)

On some units that have both a preamp and a headphone amp (and/or a speaker amp) sometimes the other outputs are disabled when a headphone is detected. I just meant "they can be hooked up simultaneously" so the system's all wired up and you just plug in or unplug the headphone as necessary.

Jun 12, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #30 of 34
I've found some good review about Schiit modi + asgard but someone had to buy an usb isolator beacuse of noise in the modi even when the pc was turned off...So it's a matter of fact that asgard 2 is a good amplifier.about modi people who buys it think about how much they have paid it and they "keep calm" and they think to solutions...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back