(Modi or Bifrost) vs (Magni or Asgard 2)
Jun 6, 2013 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

donaldduck2004

100+ Head-Fier
Ehi guys I'm new on this forum.

I would be glad to know, spending about 500 $, what of options I've named (DAC+Amplifier) you can suggest me.I've already chosen  the headphone I'll couple with them: DT770 pro 250 ohm (I love bass)

The problem is that many people love how  the Asgard 2 sounds but nobody has tried it coupled with Modi.I read hundreds of reviews (as tradition requests in these situations) but (just as tradition) I've not decided yet...

I would be grateful of any suggestions from who have some experience. I'm open to other solutions.
Thanks in advance to everybody will answer my call of help.

Jun 9, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #3 of 34
Here's a thread for this very comparison: http://www.head-fi.org/t/643368/schiit-modi-and-magni-comparison-to-bifrost-and-asgard Now, it's for the original Asgard, which is actually fairly close to the Magni, but maybe it'll be of some use to you. The Asgard 2 is more significant an upgrade. Uses a lot of design stuff from the Mjolnir, plus a low/high gain switch and preamps.

Jun 9, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #4 of 34
Quote:
Here's a thread for this very comparison: http://www.head-fi.org/t/643368/schiit-modi-and-magni-comparison-to-bifrost-and-asgard Now, it's for the original Asgard, which is actually fairly close to the Magni, but maybe it'll be of some use to you. The Asgard 2 is more significant an upgrade. Uses a lot of design stuff from the Mjolnir, plus a low/high gain switch and preamps.

Thanks but I was coming from that thread... 
regular_smile .gif
 so do you think the Asgard 2 is a good options instead of Magni?Ok so I'll have to decide about modi...

Jun 9, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #5 of 34
and what about Asus essence one? Could it be a good choice instead of modi+asgard 2?

Jun 9, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 34
I have this doubt: Is the bifrost upgradable?if yes,in what sense?

Jun 9, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #7 of 34
Quote:
so do you think the Asgard 2 is a good options instead of Magni?Ok so I'll have to decide about modi...

The Asgard 2, of course, is the better piece of kit, and it's definitely a good deal at it's asking price, but whether or not it's worth it for you is up to you. I personally think your DT 770 will be fine on a Magni, but I know for a fact that it will sound better on the Asgard 2. As for the Modi/Bifrost,  lot of people debate as to whether the amp or the DAC is more important. I see them as equally important. If you don't have a good amp to to drive your headphones, than you're not getting the most out of them. And if you don't have a good DAC, than you're not getting the most out of your tracks. To decide whether to go with the better amp or better DAC, I would think about what headphones you think you might like to get in the future. If you think you're gonna purchase better headphones soon, then go with the Asgard 2/Modi. However, if you think you can live with the DT 770 for a while (it's a very scalable headphone, much like the HD 600/650, it can last for a long time and become amazing by upgrading amp/dac) I would go with the Magni/Bifrost.

Quote:
and what about Asus essence one? Could it be a good choice instead of modi+asgard 2?

I've never heard it myself, but people seem to like it. Check out reviews.

I have this doubt: Is the bifrost upgradable?if yes,in what sense?

The insides are modular. When it launched, people didn't know what, "upgradeable" meant, but now 1-2 years later, they've come out with new components for the Bifrost! You can order it with the upgrades, or if you already own a Bifrost, you can buy just the boards and install them yourself.

Jun 10, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #8 of 34
Quote:
 To decide whether to go with the better amp or better DAC, I would think about what headphones you think you might like to get in the future. If you think you're gonna purchase better headphones soon, then go with the Asgard 2/Modi. However, if you think you can live with the DT 770 for a while (it's a very scalable headphone, much like the HD 600/650, it can last for a long time and become amazing by upgrading amp/dac) I would go with the Magni/Bifrost.
I've never heard it myself, but people seem to like it. Check out reviews.

I think that I'll keep dt770 for a while before changing them.Do you really think it is a good headphone?

Jun 10, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #9 of 34
Quote:
The insides are modular. When it launched, people didn't know what, "upgradeable" meant, but now 1-2 years later, they've come out with new components for the Bifrost! You can order it with the upgrades, or if you already own a Bifrost, you can buy just the boards and install them yourself.

You mean can I order them but...where???

Jun 10, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #10 of 34
Quote:
You mean can I order them but...where???

From Schiit. They specifically designed the Bifrost with some limited* future-proofing, with sections in separate boards instead of one large PCB with everything on it. The primary example was the USB input. You pay extra to get it, since they assume most users would have SPDIF on their computer motherboards and even some tablets have that somehow, but of course some only have laptops (and USB to SPDIF converters not from Schiit would probably cost as much), plus drivers and related resolution issues. But at some point if a new chip comes out, for example, and it can work driverless and handle higher res, then you can swap out the old USB input board for that. I had an EAD 20-bit DAC before that I liked because it was really clear, detailed and smooth, but when my CDP's transports died on me I decided to shift to using USB audio from some other general-purpose device (laptop, iPad/other tablet, smartphone). Haven't really found anything as good for the money I paid for that used EAD (around $150), but a potentially great system that doesn't work always gets trumped by anything that does work.

*limited but compared to non-modular DACs, that's a lot

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #11 of 34
Quote:
I think that I'll keep dt770 for a while before changing them.Do you really think it is a good headphone?

Oh yes. It's v-shapped, but if bass is your thing (it is for me!) than those are perfect. They are surprisingly good with non-bass-heavy genres. Unamped they get a little too boomy, but with some good amping, they'll last you a long time. I'm now rocking a V-Moda M-100 and a Grado SR-60i, but I just prefer those. I actually miss my Beyers sometimes though 
triportsad.gif
 I think if I had a better amp for the DT 990, that would have been the headphone for me. 

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

From Schiit. They specifically designed the Bifrost with some limited* future-proofing, with sections in separate boards instead of one large PCB with everything on it. The primary example was the USB input. You pay extra to get it, since they assume most users would have SPDIF on their computer motherboards and even some tablets have that somehow, but of course some only have laptops (and USB to SPDIF converters not from Schiit would probably cost as much), plus drivers and related resolution issues. But at some point if a new chip comes out, for example, and it can work driverless and handle higher res, then you can swap out the old USB input board for that. I had an EAD 20-bit DAC before that I liked because it was really clear, detailed and smooth, but when my CDP's transports died on me I decided to shift to using USB audio from some other general-purpose device (laptop, iPad/other tablet, smartphone). Haven't really found anything as good for the money I paid for that used EAD (around $150), but a potentially great system that doesn't work always gets trumped by anything that does work.

*limited but compared to non-modular DACs, that's a lot

ok but what about modular DACs.Are they too expensive for a 400/500$ budget?

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:
Oh yes. It's v-shapped, but if bass is your thing (it is for me!) than those are perfect. They are surprisingly good with non-bass-heavy genres. Unamped they get a little too boomy, but with some good amping, they'll last you a long time. I'm now rocking a V-Moda M-100 and a Grado SR-60i, but I just prefer those. I actually miss my Beyers sometimes though 
triportsad.gif
 I think if I had a better amp for the DT 990, that would have been the headphone for me. 

That's it! It's for these reasons I'd like to choose a good amp...but I've not really decided  about DAC yet...I'd choose a cheaper solution than Bifrost because most of the budget is for Asgard 2 (249$) and so 500$ is very much...but as you suggested me perhaps a better DAC is a better solution instead of a good Amp...do you endorse?

Jun 10, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:
That's it! It's for these reasons I'd like to choose a good amp...but I've not really decided  about DAC yet...I'd choose a cheaper solution than Bifrost because most of the budget is for Asgard 2 (249$) and so 500$ is very much...but as you suggested me perhaps a better DAC is a better solution instead of a good Amp...do you endorse?

I think you'll be happy either way. Perhaps this would help: how do you play your music? Are you doing iTunes downloads, Spotify streams, lossless CD rips, etc? 

Jun 10, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #15 of 34
Quote:
I think you'll be happy either way. Perhaps this would help: how do you play your music? Are you doing iTunes downloads, Spotify streams, lossless CD rips, etc? 

I play music in lossless CD rips,mp3 256-320Kbps but also listen to video on youtube but why do you want to know that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back