Modi+Magni combo VS Audio-GD NFB-15.32 (please help)
Sep 5, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #2 of 24
NFB15 is apparently more customizable in its sound and has more input options.  If you will only be using USB, then the Schiit stack might be better.  Did you read if either of these matches well to HD600?

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #3 of 24
  I'm having allot of trouble deciding between these 2.
I want to use it with the HD600.
Which one is better?

May come down to what your going to be listening to, music? movies? gaming?
Both setups Modi & NFB) come with USB inputs, which is fine for 2-channel audio like music.
USB bypasses any sound card (add-on or built in) in the computer.

The NFB-15.32 also comes with S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) input, which allows you to still use any audio hardware (add-on or built in) that is in the computer.

Sep 5, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #4 of 24
I have a magni/modi combo. They are good enough and US made, but the NFB is more flexible, for example if you have speakers you don't have to disconnect magni in order to use modi as DAC to plug the speakers, the low/hi gain, the amp seems to be more powerful too. Sometimes I wish I had the audiogd.

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #5 of 24
  I'm having allot of trouble deciding between these 2.

I want to use it with the HD600.

Which one is better?

Heya,

If you want something from the USA with warranty in the USA, get Schiit.
If you want something more powerful with more future proofing and more features, get the NFB.

Very best,

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #6 of 24
HI there,
I have the this Audio GD amp.
I used this amp with my LCD2 r1's and I found it to be a little too warm I guess.
I am fairly sure the HD600's are fairly dark as well, though I have never heard them so you may have the same problem.
However in this regard the Audio GD 5.32 has the Sabre Dac which is apparently more analytical (though apparently not bright) and may suit darker headphones more.

Depends on what sound you like.  I found that bumping the upper range in treble up a little via eq, that I was very happy with the sound as it was musical and not fatiguing.

I have a question.  If I was to use the RCA in on this unit, does that still utilize the DAC or purely AMP.

Using this as a DAC/Pre Amp is a no brainer, but I wasnt sure the other way around.
I was considering buying a second DAC depending on what phones I am using.

Scott

Sep 6, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #7 of 24
  HI there,
I have the this Audio GD amp.
I used this amp with my LCD2 r1's and I found it to be a little too warm I guess.
I am fairly sure the HD600's are fairly dark as well, though I have never heard them so you may have the same problem.
However in this regard the Audio GD 5.32 has the Sabre Dac which is apparently more analytical (though apparently not bright) and may suit darker headphones more.
Depends on what sound you like.  I found that bumping the upper range in treble up a little via eq, that I was very happy with the sound as it was musical and not fatiguing.
I have a question.  If I was to use the RCA in on this unit, does that still utilize the DAC or purely AMP.
Using this as a DAC/Pre Amp is a no brainer, but I wasnt sure the other way around.
I was considering buying a second DAC depending on what phones I am using.

The single RCA input jack labeled COA, is a digital S/PDIF coaxial input, which would feed a digital audio signal to the DAC.

Sep 6, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #9 of 24
I've been a fan of Audio-GD for a while.  Though I've never had the 15.32 model you are inquiring about I have had about 4 others, as follows:

- NFB-12 (2 times, or 3?)

- "Fun" model

The NFB-12 had the various inputs (USB, Coax, Optical).  Plus, it had jumpers where you could adjust certain filter levels for some frequency taper.  However, as nifty as this seems, I didn't hear any real change between the levels.  Then again, my hearing might not be the best in those frequency areas.

The "Fun".  This is seriously a Fun amplifier with DAC, too. The ability to select from 3 separate modules to alter the sound, to a degree.  The Sun, Earth and Moon modules are as follows: Sun - a bit more presence on the upper frequencies.  The Earth - More neutral and pretty good for all around listening.  The Moon - A slightly darker variant compared to the other two.  In both situations, I've owned the Earth module variant and have been happy with the signature.  The "Fun" can operate as a DAC only, A pre-amp only, a headphone amp only - or, an all-in-one DAC and headphone amplifier.  It has an excellent 1/4" Neutrik locking female plug in the front of the amp.  Hi gain / Low gain settings.  In / Out settings.  While no longer made the replacement (Compass  2) is similar in design, specs, etc.  But is also $399 - $499, depending on the DAC you select.  The modules - Sun, Earth and Moon run $20 - $23, each.  A used "Fun" can be achieved for $200 - $240 here on the forum when they rarely appear for sale.

Another thing to consider about Audio-GD.  Their amp prices do not include shipping charges, which can run $40 - $50, on average.  Plus, they charge for the PayPal fees, too. This could easily rack up the charges by about $60 to $70 to get to you.  But, each time I've owned one, I've been quite content with the quality and performance.  Plus, they have plenty of power to driver ortho headphones, too.

Schiit Modi / Magni.  I owned these components for a brief period of time.  I only used them with my HE-400s and HD-600s.  I didn't feel much slam with the Schiit on the HE-400 by HifiMan.  Plus, the larger circle cut-out around the volume knob seemed to have a hole larger by about 3/8".  This meant when viewing the amp at night, the LED which would light up on the front panel could also visibly bee seen as a ring around the volume control knob.  That part didn't please me too much.  While I think Schiit makes some quite good products, the "stack" that you're considering are basically their entry level components.  While the specs look good and the amp is powerful, one still has to consider how they are achieving the $99 price point for each component.  I'm not implying that the components are cheap or the amp is lacking, but rather, since the amps are U.S. constructed, they hae to find some areas for the stack components to be profitable for the company.

As a 3rd option to consider, too.  Maybe, take your budgeted money and have it go towards a Schiit amp a bit further up the food chain.  Then use a lesser cost DAC (e.g. - Muse, HiifimeDIY?) until you have more funds to opt for a slightly better DAC.  In this case, I think you'll be more content as you'll still be able to look forward to a DAC component a few months down the line.  The Muse could be sold for about $10 - $15 less than you paid for it.  You would then be able to enjoy the better quality of the components and probably hold off another upgrade for a couple of more years.

Best of luck!

Sep 6, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #10 of 24

Hi Scott
The HD650 are what I'd call slightly on the dark side.  The HD600 (while quite laid back and natural) are not what I'd call dark.

I tend toward a neutral to slightly 'warm' preference.- and I loved the NFB-12 (same/similar to the NFB-12) with the HD600.  Didn't find it dark at all. 

Sep 6, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #11 of 24
Hi Scott
The HD650 are what I'd call slightly on the dark side.  The HD600 (while quite laid back and natural) are not what I'd call dark.

I tend toward a neutral to slightly 'warm' preference.- and I loved the NFB-12 (same/similar to the NFB-12) with the HD600.  Didn't find it dark at all. 

Hi there,

Thanks for the correction :)
As I said I have not heard the 600s but had heard 650s and assumed they were very similar.
My comments were purely based on my experience with the LCD, which though sounded a little warm to me, I still thoroughly enjoyed.
I mist say I am a fan of the 15.32, fr the price its hard to go wrong.
Very musical and a lot of grunt.

Scott

Sep 6, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #13 of 24
As I said I have not heard the 600s but had heard 650s and assumed they were very similar.

I concur basically with what has been stated.  For a week, I had both the HD-600 and the HD-650.  Cautiously, I tested each headphone thoroughly with the genres of music that I prefer.  The HD-650 does have a warmer signature.  I ended up choosing the HD-600 instead because of the neutral presentation.  It just pleased me more.  Others might have very different views.

With even the Sennheiser, I recall not being highly impressed with the stack of Schiit.  To me, there just wasn't enough substance.  Yes, I could have applied a bit of EQ, which I can tend to do.  But, in this case, I wanted to try the headphone / amp combination without any extra coloring of the sound being applied.  The Audio-GD Fun amp that I had did a bit better with the two pieces of Schiit.

Finally, I want you to keep in mind that I'm not posting in this thread to distract you from your purchase or any Schiit like that.  I'm just trying to provide you with my objective view of the two brands being discussed and considered. 
wink.gif

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #15 of 24
What I'm worried about most is people say that the magni/modi combo is very bright and i heard the HD600 is bright as well which makes me think that combining to do is going to be painful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back