Modern alternative to the Denon D2k
May 1, 2017 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DJPixcell

Head-Fier
Hey fellow users, it's been a very long time since I've been around the forums so if another thread like this exists please forward me to it.. thanks!!

A good while ago when I was first getting into the high end audio market every recommendation that came my way in terms of a headphone with great punchy bass for a somewhat affordable price ($400 or less) was always the Denon D 2000. Every person I talked to gave me them as a recommendation.

Unfortunately at the time I was stripped for cash and couldn't buy them, my life in higher end audio had to come to a close for a good while due to personal issues and cash restraints. So time went on and when I went to bite the bullet and actually get them .. they had been discontinued. Now you can't find them, they are a diamond in the rough and the people that have them do not want to let go of them, rightfully so. It seems the price-to-performance ratio on that scale is long gone.

BUT, I have come to the best audio forum around to try to see if I can get some recommendations on a semi cheap ($400 or less.. preferably less.. lol) pair of full size headphones that replicate or come close to that sound signature, but mainly with that big punchy bass. I'm all about that punch. Not so much being over-whelmed with muddy booming.. that tight thump is something I always look for in a pair of headphones.

It seems like the closest thing I can find to being close to them is the Fostex TH-600, but they appear to be very hard to find or discontinued from most sellers. Also wasn't sure how well the compared to the original D2k's.

So once again if this thread exists already please forward me to the right direction. I'm extremely appreciative of any information or help.

Cheers,
Dylan.

May 1, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 7
TH-X00. You can get a used pair on the sales forum for less than $400. Or a new pair on Massdrop.com. Will be a direct upgrade to the D2000

May 1, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 7
Definitely TH-X00, although the earpads have smaller openings (to help tune their sound signature to be less ***'d than the Denons), and the smaller openings result in a less roomy experience for your ears than the Denons.

TH-600 might be discontinued cause TH-600 v2 or TH-610 is now a thing.

May 8, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 7
Definitely TH-X00, although the earpads have smaller openings (to help tune their sound signature to be less ***'d than the Denons), and the smaller openings result in a less roomy experience for your ears than the Denons.

TH-600 might be discontinued cause TH-600 v2 or TH-610 is now a thing.
I've always regretted not getting the D2k's.. I occasionally see a used pair go up for around $300 but they are always heavily used with a lot of wear. Too much to justify the price for me.

Cheers for the replies! It looks like I really will have to give the TH-X00's a try. I keep getting emails about them from Massdrop. I just assumed they didn't have the same feel and sound.

I will see if I can get a pair of them around here for a bit less, just because I feel like ordering from massdrop then getting it shipped to canada would be a huge wait and a pricing nightmare.

Thanks again everyone.

May 8, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #6 of 7
Saw a pair up on Canuckaudiomart, believe it is still there at a reasonable price.

May 8, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #7 of 7
The Fostex TH-X00 or E-MU Teak would be the new iterations of the DxK series. E-MU teak has a sound signature closer to the D5K than the TH-X00 IMO, but I like the way the TH-X00 sounds more, especially with ebony cups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back