Modding the RME PAD
Mar 22, 2004 at 1:46 AM Post #167 of 243
The next thing you know Peter's going to be building his own amps based off of his Gilmore just modded to hell and back...
wink.gif

Mar 22, 2004 at 2:12 AM Post #168 of 243
Quote:

Originally posted by Jasper994
The next thing you know Peter's going to be building his own amps based off of his Gilmore just modded to hell and back...
wink.gif

Hehe, I don't know about that one, though it would be fun to put together an amp someday. Maybe once I get the GF into headphones. She already remarked about how much better my Klipsch PM2.1's are than her stock Dell computer speakers. Who knows where the ceiling may lie?

Mar 22, 2004 at 2:07 PM Post #171 of 243
nice guys.. could you do some really close macros of the whole board so that I could read all the markings? also try listening the card in the middle and use foobar to resample to 88.2kHz and then 96kHz.. in each case different oscillator will play so you can somehow compare them, although it's not so fair comparison.. but at least something..

regarding the 'good' oscilator, RME is said to have very good ones and at that point power supply is what matters, not the oscillators itself, so try to build some really clean power supply for them.. use LT1761 LDO low noise regulators, 5V I suppose.. and use ~220uF OSCON cap after.. this should be a VERY worthwhile upgrade..

again, do your best to provide me the greatest close-ups of tha boards guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2004 at 6:29 AM Post #173 of 243
Hot damn. I'm really lovin the OPA627's.

Seems only a tiny bit warmer than the stock so far.

It's really smoothing out as it burns in. Was a bit harsh at first. But now it's really starting to sound different than stock.

Same amount of dynamics, but not as fatiguing.

Sound stage is a bit closer up, but definitely wider. The 627 really helps to eliminate that "in a metal tunnel" ish sound of the stock. It's really subtle, but that's what the stock sounds like in comparison with the 627. Highs are more convincing to me, especially cymbal "sizzle" and decay.

What's interesting, is that at louder levels, it doesn't make me cringe nearly as much as the stock card did on more treble aggressive music.

Gonna keep burning the 627's in........I'm really digging it so far.

-Ed

Mar 23, 2004 at 6:42 AM Post #174 of 243
I'm still rockin' out to the LT1122. I gave the AD8065 a few days to burn it but it still sounds rather lifeless, though it seems to have a pretty flat frequency response. Perhaps a good chip for analyzing the sound more than enjoying it? I really love the extra bass slam of the LT1122 over the AD chips.

Mar 23, 2004 at 3:40 PM Post #180 of 243
if you like OPA627, try biasing them into Class A and you will love them! put ~6k8 resistor from output to -12V supply, that's all you need to do..

simple equation - 12V / 6800Ohm = 1.75mA, use anything that will gave you around 2mA per channel..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back