Modding the AD700's with spray paint?
Oct 25, 2011 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ende

New Head-Fier
Sorry if this thread is in the wrong place, but this seemed like a good place to ask o:
I wanted to ask if it's possible for someone here to spray paint the AD700's, and I'd then pay for them? I know I'd **** it up if I did it myself.
Thank you everyone.

Oct 25, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #4 of 10
Spray painting is not hard...practice a bit and DIY. Just a thought...

Oct 25, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #5 of 10
I'm more concerned with spraying a layer of paint on the fine mesh may change the sound of the headphones. You'll have to do it very light coat to stop the holes from closing up.

Oct 25, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #6 of 10
Take a look at this guy thread. The AD700's seems not complicated to paint IMO. Just need to be careful when disassembling them. 

Oct 25, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #7 of 10
It's just, you have to somewhat take the headphones apart, which makes me paranoid, and the cost of the supplies (especially the sander, plus the other things) is more than I can afford atm.
The mesh wouldn't be affected, it'd have to be taken apart to get the entire set of headphones to be black.

EDIT: Just saw that post, I'll go see.

Oct 25, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #8 of 10
Oct 25, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
Rustoleum makes a type of spray paint that bonds to plastic directly. I don't believe you need to sand or prime them.

http://www.rustoleum.com/cbgproduct.asp?pid=118

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=121

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=122

if you want to pain the grille/mesh area, you will need to disassemble the phones, not difficult, just grab a pair of small philips head screwdrivers from your workbench and unscrew four little screws. 
once you have the grille removed, you can have all the fun you want with the painting process
although spray painting a perfect coat isn't an easy task (unlike doing graffiti) go outside, on a warm-ish, dry day with very little wind, dust on one thin coat (should be a mist..don't try and cover in one coat) wait an hour, any dust particles, sand with 2000 grit sandpaper. spray another two coats with an hour of drying time in between, then wait 24 hours or so and spray on what we call a "wet coat". Wait a couple days until the paint cures and if it's mettalic and you want to buff it up with a polishing kit, you will need another spray of a clear coat. then you can go from there with either a polishing kit and some automotive buffing compounds or just use the compound if a mirror finish isn't all that important. 

also, if you want the ultimate finish in terms of durability and shine, automotive two part urethane is your best bet but it does require slightly more specialized equipment and can cause very adverse reactions without proper precautions taken
for the average modder/painter who wants to practice, just go to wallmart and buy 5-6 cans of their $.97 special spray cans. (apparently benjamin sheridan relabels their paint for walmart)
some disposable/clear plastic ladles and practice your techniques

Users who are viewing this thread

Back