Modding My KSC75's
Jan 8, 2010 at 8:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

theCanadian

Head-Fier
First Post.

I intend to mod my KSC75 in this manner.

I'm new to modding headphones, so I was just wondering what the benefits to re cabling a set of headphones would be, specifically KSC75's.

Also I was wondering if by re cabling, the sound improves, would it possible to get a decent (better than stock) 10ft (or single strand long enough to make a 10ft cable) for $10USD?

Thanks,
theCanadian

Currently have:

Audio-Technica AD700A
Koss KSC75
Audio-Technica FC700A
Recently rebuilt a set of custom cabinets.

Jan 8, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #2 of 4
I'd just get a pair of PortaPros instead.
smily_headphones1.gif
I've done similar mods to KSC75s before, still think the PortaPro is a better overall investment. Consider also putting a 75 Ohm inline resistor, some like it.

Jan 8, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd just get a pair of PortaPros instead.
smily_headphones1.gif
I've done similar mods to KSC75s before, still think the PortaPro is a better overall investment. Consider also putting a 75 Ohm inline resistor, some like it.

So, I have 7 pairs of KSC75, 5 of which are modded.
and I haven't tried the headband thing yet, just you you know.

But I really liked what the resistors did, but the quarter mod + opening up the grille a bit made it sound the best, IMO.
And the recable... I never really listened for differences after it on these, but I know for sure I like it better than the stock cable functionality wise.

They're super easy to mod. Don't worry.
And they sound great(er) afterwards. (I do LOVE treble sparkle, though. )

Jan 8, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #4 of 4
Well, some essential mods for the KSC75's are the Kramer mod and the Quarter mod. Both are very easy to do. For the Kramer mod, you pop the black grille (the thing in front of the headphone drivers [speakers]) and drill holes into it to make it more open. The quarter mod just means that you cut a hole about the size of a quarter into middle of the pad. Both of these make a pretty significant difference in sound.

Recabling is very rewarding if not just for the sound, but for the satisfaction of listening to something that you made with your own hands
biggrin.gif
. Using Mogami or Canare starquad is the easiest way to start; cheap and easy to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back