Modding my Beyerdynamic DT 770
Jun 25, 2013 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Manik3

New Head-Fier
Hi! I've been lurking around this website off and on since I bought my DT 770s in December but I haven't really felt the urge to create an account and post until now.

The main thing I've been thinking about doing to my DT 770s is recabling, possibly making the cable detachable but at least making this cord MUCH shorter. However, I've never done anything like this before (closest thing is probably building a computer, but I don't think that's too similiar). How easy/hard would it be to add a jack for a detachable cable to just one side of the DT 770s?

Another thing I'd like to do is create wooden cups but that's a thread for another day... I guess I can put it in this thread!
beyersmile.png

Thanks ahead of time for the help!

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #2 of 28
I decided to go ahead and try this out. I ordered a Neutrik NYS 230 as the jack for my headphones. Building a cable out of 2 Amphenol KS3P-AUs and Mogami W2582. I feel like I can't really screw this up too badly unless I somehow damage the driver while taking it out, which doesn't seem to be too difficult.

Jun 26, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #4 of 28
The only hard thing is soldering the cable to the tiny 3.5mm jack, I suggest to use alligator head helping hand to greatly ease the process. Other than that I guess braiding the cable (if you do) and opening the cup depending on the headphone model could be tricky, dunno about beyer line though.

Jun 26, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #5 of 28
Opening the DT 770s isn't too tough, and I've already been in there a couple times to clean stuff. I'm not really too worried as the entire process sounds simple enough.

I will post pictures if I remember. I should have time to do all of this next weekend, if not sooner depending on when parts come in.

Jun 26, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #6 of 28
As I think more about making the wooden cups the more I want to do it. The only issue I can see is finding tools to use to shape the wood how I need it. I'm currently eyeing a couple pieces of wood on eBay but I really have no woodworking experience at all and I first and only experience with "high-end" headphones is with my DT 770s, so I don't know how the sound would be affected. At first I was eyeing black and white ebony but then I saw these pieces of amboyna burl and tamarind burl. I'll probably buy the pieces of wood now and spend awhile planning out what exactly I want to do with them though.

Jun 28, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #8 of 28
Just a little bit of warning from me, Trolldragon and Liquidzoo... be reaaaally careful with the posts on the drivers. They're not securely attached to the driver, just glued to the side, which melts quick and the post will start sliding around. The driver is wired to those posts with very fine copper wiring so I suggest finding a way to tape/zip strip/whatever the post down before applying the soldering iron. I've ruined one driver that way and Trolldragon and Liquidzoo almost did.

E: This applies to the entire DTXX0 line.

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #12 of 28
Ah, man. I just froze for a good ten seconds in shock. I had absolutely no idea. Thankfully I did the mod successfully, but yeah. Thank you for the heads up, I'll be sure to pass that onto others.

I'll count myself lucky that it wasn't a problem.

Hypothetically, if the glue became unstuck and a post fell off - what would happen? Dare I ask?

Jun 28, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #15 of 28
Ah, man. I just froze for a good ten seconds in shock. I had absolutely no idea. Thankfully I did the mod successfully, but yeah. Thank you for the heads up, I'll be sure to pass that onto others.

I'll count myself lucky that it wasn't a problem.

Hypothetically, if the glue became unstuck and a post fell off - what would happen? Dare I ask?

You can always glue them back on. The primary issue is the fine copper wire that it's attached to. If it breaks, it's a pain to get it back on. And if it breaks from the driver side, you've pretty much ruined the driver.

In the picture I posted, there's two bead looking things on the left and right of the wires, those are diodes. They're unimportant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back