Modded SR-225: how close to RS-1?
Apr 20, 2009 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

chi2

500+ Head-Fier
Actually/normally being an electrostat junky I recently acquired cherry wood cups and a wonderful leather headband from jmoney/fatman_711 for my SR225. Together with an APS cable (portable, not V2 or V3) the cups did in fact very good things to the 225: they made them sing and shine! Allan Taylor's albums "color to the moon" and "hotels and dreames" (acoustic guitar) just sound incredibly good! Bass is clearly more extended and soundstage seems to be somewhat increased, too. From the Grado/Alessandro lines the only other phone I know well is the MS1. Now I wonder how good the RS1 sounds and if and how much better it is than my or any modded 225. From Headroom's frequency response charts the treble extension of the two phones looks somewhat similar (and better that the other Grado phones). Of course frequency response diagrams tell only a pretty limited part of the story. What makes me wonder about significant differences in sound are the distortion charts of the 225 and the RS1. The drivers of the RS1 seem to be of higher quality than those of the 225, the higher THD may make the 225 sound more grainy. So, my question is: How close to an RS1 can a fully modded 225 come?

Thanks,
Urs

Apr 20, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #2 of 5
Not that close imo. I heard the RS-1 (vintage/non vintage) many times and owned modded 225s for a long time and theyre still not that close. You dont get the treble smoothness of the rs-1 nor the depth in the music that the rs-1 does

Apr 20, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 5
Wood cups and sr225 drivers do not an RS-1 make. Completely agree with jinp's comments.

Apr 21, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #5 of 5
Does anyone who have a woodied SR-225 do this mod where you put some dampening material on the back of the transducers? I think pretty much all woodied grados have this applied to them so it may make a difference in sound

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/gra...er-mod-183338/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back