Modded older MG HEad vs. MG Head OTL?
Aug 23, 2002 at 2:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

rtsy

New Head-Fier
I'm being offered US$300 for a hot rodded (by a realiable and skilled local technician) older MG Head (no OTL) or US$320 for the MG Head OTL.

What are the differences between these two models?

How would they compare vs. my Musical Fidelity's X-Cans v2 currently used w/ stock wal-wart PSU and stock Yugo 6DJ8 ECC88 tubes (I haven't checked w/ MF if they ever released X-Cans v2s with this tube)?

I currently use an HD495 but will move over to the HD600 after hopefully haggling successfully with the local dealer (we're now at US$300).

Would you consider a move from the X-Cans v2 to ASL an upgrade? I'm basically OK with my X-Cans v2 except for sibilance on some CDs (played on a NAD 502). I tried my X-Cans w/ X-PSU and with a pair of HD580's and sibilance went down a bit due to better bass perhaps distracting me from the sibilance that was still there. Think either ASLs will cure this?

TIA!

Aug 23, 2002 at 3:21 AM Post #2 of 30
I made that exact upgrade and found the MG Head OTL to be significantly better than the X-Cans.

I dunno about your seller. A new OTL is $329. His asking price sounds a bit high. I wouldn't get the DT unless you could do an A/B against the OTL. $300 is a lot for a DT model. You better be sure you like the way those mods sound!

Aug 23, 2002 at 2:28 PM Post #4 of 30
Depends on "mods". The most common mod is removal of the negative feedback lines. In the OTL, that is what the switch is for for the left jack.

I go for new OTL from Divergent or Headroom.

Aug 23, 2002 at 9:42 PM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
what mods has he done?

change to silver cabling
jensen pure copper coil coupling caps
alps volume pot
silver contact lo-hi switch
chrome chassis
NOS japan tubes

i still have to check what tubes he'll give me.

and oh, my HD600 is right now being burned in.

Aug 26, 2002 at 2:08 AM Post #8 of 30
lol, that's what I'm thinking.
eek.gif
and god, did he have to make it look like THAT?

Aug 26, 2002 at 2:50 AM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
thats one funky mg head!

No ! It is no MG-Head
smily_headphones1.gif
I never delivery MG-Head like picture.

MG-Head should have 1 driver tube and 2 Power tube outside !

Aug 26, 2002 at 5:50 AM Post #14 of 30
Where is the chrome chassis you mentioned in the amps modifications? That thing looks like it spent some time on the ocean floor!
eek.gif

I would a suggest a new OTL

John

Aug 26, 2002 at 6:56 AM Post #15 of 30
Thanks, all, for your responses. I mean that!

The seller allowed me to bring it home so I can A-B vs. my X-Cans v2. It was a no commitment trial so I have nothing to lose. As mentioned, the seller is a respected tube technician here in Manila, Philippines though obviously, aesthetics isn't his forte.

The manual he lent me says Antique Sound Labs MG Head-T on it. But with Joe Lau here saying it isn't an MG Head, then I believe him. :wink:

Joe, who distributes ASL in the Philippines? If there is none, who in Hong Kong or Singapore can I buy it from? I'm hoping to save a few bucks on shipping by buying from Asia instead of the U.S.

Can you guys please point me to old threads or links that detail the differences between the pre-OTL MG-Head vs. the OTL version? I've been (ab)using the search engine on this forum the past three days with little success.

I'll ask the seller about the third tube. He asked me to give it around 40 hours of break in and I've done 10 so far. vs. my X-Cans v2 w/ Yugo 6DJ8 ECC88 (as mentioned, this is the stock tube it came with from the local dealer) and stock wal-wart, here are my early findings (also with an HD600 that has about 20 hours burn in thus far):

1--the "supposed to be MG-Head" has a sweeter, more resolving top end. Cymbals, high hats, bells, triangles, etc. are portrayed more convincingly,

2--the midrange is also more resolved than the X-Cans v2. Layering on more complex pieces is more apparent,

3--I lose a lot of body on the bottom end though. The leading edges are there but there is little weight.

I'm waiting on Mullard 6922s to roll my 6DJ8 ECC88s with. Source of Mullard (@ ~US$50) is the same as the seller of this "MG-Head."

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back