NOS japan tubes

and 1 driver tube removed!
tongue.gif

poor Joe must be furious that his baby has been mutilated
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 26, 2002 at 8:01 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by rtsy
Thanks, all, for your responses. I mean that!

The seller allowed me to bring it home so I can A-B vs. my X-Cans v2. It was a no commitment trial so I have nothing to lose. As mentioned, the seller is a respected tube technician here in Manila, Philippines though obviously, aesthetics isn't his forte.

The manual he lent me says Antique Sound Labs MG Head-T on it. But with Joe Lau here saying it isn't an MG Head, then I believe him. :wink:

Joe, who distributes ASL in the Philippines? If there is none, who in Hong Kong or Singapore can I buy it from? I'm hoping to save a few bucks on shipping by buying from Asia instead of the U.S.

Can you guys please point me to old threads or links that detail the differences between the pre-OTL MG-Head vs. the OTL version? I've been (ab)using the search engine on this forum the past three days with little success.

I'll ask the seller about the third tube. He asked me to give it around 40 hours of break in and I've done 10 so far. vs. my X-Cans v2 w/ Yugo 6DJ8 ECC88 (as mentioned, this is the stock tube it came with from the local dealer) and stock wal-wart, here are my early findings (also with an HD600 that has about 20 hours burn in thus far):

1--the "supposed to be MG-Head" has a sweeter, more resolving top end. Cymbals, high hats, bells, triangles, etc. are portrayed more convincingly,

2--the midrange is also more resolved than the X-Cans v2. Layering on more complex pieces is more apparent,

3--I lose a lot of body on the bottom end though. The leading edges are there but there is little weight.

I'm waiting on Mullard 6922s to roll my 6DJ8 ECC88s with. Source of Mullard (@ ~US$50) is the same as the seller of this "MG-Head."

Thanks!

Philippine

Consolidated Glazing Corporation
add:Suite III Chateau Verde
Condominium Valle Verde I,E.
Rodriquez JR,AVE.
Tel:671-23-69,671-23-77
Fax:671-23-68
E-mail:cgc@pacific.net.ph

Hong Kong

Audio Way Co.
M/F 249 APLIU ST.
SHAM SHUI PO,
KOWLOON
TEL:27251012/98711031
FAX:27250611
audioman@ctimail3.com

TONG LEE CO.,

Head Office:
13-14, Jalan Lekir, Kg. Koh,
32000 Sitiawan, Perak,
Malaysia.
Tel: 605-6911049 & 605-6912163
Mobile: 6019-5753838
Fax: 605-6912163
e-mail: tlcling@tm.net.my

Kuala Lumpur Branch:
FF005, 009 & 010, Bukit Bintang Plaza,
Jalan Bukit Bintang,
55100 Kuala Lumpur,
Malaysia.
Tel: 603-21414366 & 603-21484366
Mobile: 6019-5740922
Fax: 603-21484366
e-mail: tlcling@tm.net.my

Indonesia

Ignatius Chen
Setrasari 7
Bandung 40152 Indonesia
Tel:62 22 5201 8854

E-mail:dutar@digicron.com

TAIWAN

Gloria Audio Incorporated
1F,NO.98-3,Fu Kuo Road,
****-Lin.Taipei Taiwan.
R.O.C
Tel:886-2-28380729
Fax:886-2-28345706
jack6668@ms13.hinet.net

Aug 26, 2002 at 9:22 PM Post #18 of 30
Many thanks.

Well, I promised the seller I'd give his stuff a shot (even after seeing the looks on it) so...

But you're right, US$300 for this vs. US$320 for the OTL doesn't seem to balance right. I should at least not buy till I've heard the OTL.

Aug 26, 2002 at 10:29 PM Post #20 of 30
My MG Head OTL uses a 12AX7 and 2 EL84's. If you're using 6DJ8's / 6922 that makes the amp more like the Morgan Jones Tube Headphone amplifier over at headwize? But the Morgan Jones uses 3 E88CC's.

Just wondering?

Aug 27, 2002 at 2:38 AM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Can you ask him a few questions?

First, where did the third tube go, and second, "Are you color blind?
biggrin.gif
"

I asked him about the missing third tube. The response I got was this was MG Head's older version. As mentioned, the manual he lent me says MG Head-T in front, not MG Head-DT nor MG Head-OTL. Is my leg being pulled?

About color blindedness, well, he does wear thick glasses. I'm not sure if vision sharpness affects color judgement as well. ;D

Aug 27, 2002 at 2:41 AM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by braillediver
My MG Head OTL uses a 12AX7 and 2 EL84's. If you're using 6DJ8's / 6922 that makes the amp more like the Morgan Jones Tube Headphone amplifier over at headwize? But the Morgan Jones uses 3 E88CC's.

Just wondering?

The 6DJ8 ECC88 Yugos are on my X-Cans v2, not the "MG Head" I'm auditioning.

Aug 27, 2002 at 3:40 AM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
I don't know about that... Joe Lau would definitely know if anyone would, and he seems to think it isn't a Head.

I had never use 6DJ8/6922 in MG-Head even older version
smily_headphones1.gif

I had OEM version of Headphone amps use 6BM8 x 2 only.

MG-Head T ? It only a Joke
smily_headphones1.gif

We only have MG-Head , MG-Head DT , MG-Head OTL.

Aug 27, 2002 at 9:17 AM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Lau

MG-Head T ? It only a Joke
smily_headphones1.gif

We only have MG-Head , MG-Head DT , MG-Head OTL.

What are the differences among MG-Head, MG-Head DT, and MG Head OTL? I know there is a post I saw highlighting differences between DT and OTL but I don't know about MG-Head. It'd be nice to hear it straight from the designers' mouth.

This I must tell Joe: I've actually started looking beyond the ASL MG-Head OTL just to see what's on the horizon for me if I decide to actually skip the MG- Head OTL and move right on up to more expensive (theoretically better sounding models) like the MicroZOTL, EarMax, etc. Lo and behold, they are almost or over twice the price of the ASL! To my mind, I think you hit a winning price/quality point on the MG Head. Congratulations. :wink:

Aug 27, 2002 at 9:20 AM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by arnett

yeah, i think your leg is being pulled. don't buy it.

Where can I find more info on that Radii HAP-01? The images are dead-on it seems. Thanks for your wonderful forensic input.
biggrin.gif

Aug 28, 2002 at 4:16 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by rtsy

What are the differences among MG-Head, MG-Head DT, and MG Head OTL? I know there is a post I saw highlighting differences between DT and OTL but I don't know about MG-Head. It'd be nice to hear it straight from the designers' mouth.

This I must tell Joe: I've actually started looking beyond the ASL MG-Head OTL just to see what's on the horizon for me if I decide to actually skip the MG- Head OTL and move right on up to more expensive (theoretically better sounding models) like the MicroZOTL, EarMax, etc. Lo and behold, they are almost or over twice the price of the ASL! To my mind, I think you hit a winning price/quality point on the MG Head. Congratulations. :wink:

MG-Head is Older version. MG-Head DT had been upgrade to MIT cap , better Power and output transformers , Better V.R .

MG-Head OTL - additional a OTL mode , Longer Chassis (Power switch away from signal path to eliminated Hum).

Our New Headphone amps use 2A3 as Power tube. It had lower output impedance even in OTL mode. More sweet Mid. better power regulated. I'm sure can completitive with other Headphone in this price range. It is not only a Headphone amps but a Full function Pre-amps (4 Input , 2 Output) , remote Volumn.... Dual Mono.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back