Modded Koss "The Plug" Headphones - did anyone tried it?
Aug 24, 2005 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

arisen

Head-Fier
I just found this mod for KOSS the Plug headphones, but I don't really want to waste time and money on it if it's not at least comparable to MX500 with the isolation as an added bonus. If anyone tried this, or atleast the unmoded headphones, a little feedback will be great. Thanks!
lambda.gif

[size=small]Mod looks something like this:[/size]
koss11.jpg
koss9.jpg

Aug 24, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #2 of 15
personally, I sorta liked them.
For one thing, they were dirt cheap
smily_headphones1.gif

Sound quality wise, you could say their highs were sorta lacking, but were very forgiving in return. Bass felt somewhat bloated at times, but could be adjusted depending how much dampening you have inside. Mids, I felt was the strongest part which was relatively smooth and warm. Overall, I preferred it to mx400/500. For your record, mx400 sounded better with RS foamies IMO.

I made a mistake of doing everything listed on headwize, including blowing hairdryer on the transducers. As a result, I couldnt tell which mod had which effect on the sound respectively. All I can remember is they were decent and I miss them.

Aug 24, 2005 at 6:31 PM Post #3 of 15
Used the Plugs for years before stumbling upon this dreadful/(amazing?) place. Was blissfully happy with them in my ignorance. I actually liked the older version of them (pictured above) over the newer "Spark Plug" product, but neither can do it for me anymore.

I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then....

Aug 24, 2005 at 6:44 PM Post #4 of 15
the plugs were one of my headphones. at the time they were great, had awesome bass.

but then i upgraded... PortaPros, Eggos, now SR80. Listening to them again, they are HORRIBLE. sounds like im listneing to AM radio with the lack of higher frequencies.

yes, i did the foam mod and the ear-foam mod. didnt do much.

Aug 24, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #6 of 15
I got to try this!
I use the plugs for portable use, and Beyer DT831 by the computer, and they sort of differ a bit in sound character
wink.gif

The plugs can be awesome for traveling, but i hate the bloated bass and lack of treble.. Would be beautiful with brighter sound..
smily_headphones1.gif

At the moment I use Alpine MusicSafe hearing protection cushions (as my original cushions are worn out).
Gets rid of a bit of the bass, but it is on cost of precision. Still better than hearing nothing but bass!

Aug 24, 2005 at 10:44 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by arisen
I just found this mod for KOSS the Plug headphones, but I don't really want to waste time and money on it if it's not at least comparable to MX500 with the isolation as an added bonus. If anyone tried this, or atleast the unmoded headphones, a little feedback will be great. Thanks!
lambda.gif

If you're careful, the foam cushions from the Ety ER-4 will fit over the Koss tube, rather than gluing on some others. Lubricate the tubes and work them on carefully.
Wife uses the plug every day.
Todd R

Aug 25, 2005 at 8:51 AM Post #10 of 15
I'd agree with Fureshi on this one, I've even got two pairs of KSC75's shipping my way right now. I've done the Koss Plug mods, and found that whatever improvements there were weren't worth the $15 I paid for the headphones. And I've done literally everything short of using a hairdryer on the transducers and this hollow tube lead mod I've seen (Can't find the damn link, will post it when I find it), and can't get them to sound like anything more than crap. So I gave up and got ER6i's, and haven't looked back. I might even give away my Koss Plugs to a lucky (or unlucky) memeber as my going on hiatus present!

580smile.gif
Abe

Aug 25, 2005 at 7:37 PM Post #14 of 15
i spend about 2 hours trying to do the mods and drill holes into the foam plugs with very little gain. it was fun doing the mods but it wasn't a wise way to spend my time. surprisingly, i was able to sell them on ebay for almost the same price that i paid for them.
biggrin.gif

arisen, would koss send the ksc75 or ksc35 direcly to you if you ordered from their website?

Aug 25, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi
i spend about 2 hours trying to do the mods and drill holes into the foam plugs with very little gain. it was fun doing the mods but it wasn't a wise way to spend my time. surprisingly, i was able to sell them on ebay for almost the same price that i paid for them.
biggrin.gif

arisen, would koss send the ksc75 or ksc35 direcly to you if you ordered from their website?

Nope, KOSS only ships to USA
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back