Modded AKG 701's
Jun 23, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #31 of 46
In my opinion the changes are subtle overall. A cable swap won't make the Senn 650 sound like a Grado RS1 for instance. It can shift aspects of the Senn 650 in a positive or negative way though.

A direct A/B comparison is worthless. Audio memory is too short and only a large shift in response would be noticable by swapping to and from. The only way I find reliable is to build a playlist and listen to it with one piece and take notes describing what you hear, then repeat the process with piece two. Then compare your notes to find the differences. Take notes of real things, like placement, volume of instruments compared to each other, blackness, visceral impact and such. Your notes will tell you what character each piece adds to the mix.

Jun 23, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #32 of 46
Here is what my enquiry about the BD recable yielded:

Usually ship out a week after payment and headphones arrive. If flexability is a concern then I would go with the Blue Dragon. The Black is not stiff, but not flexable either. I dont have a ZU to compare. From what I remember the Zu is stiffer than Black and Blue Dragons. Changes are more impact, fuller sound, a little cleaner sounding.
10' Black Dragon is $225 Installed
10' Blue Dragon is $200 Installed
6" Black Dragon adapter cable is $65
6" Blue Dragon adapter cable is $45
We will accept Paypal if you are willing to pay the 3.9% surcharge (there is a 4 day clear period on foreign Paypal accounts), or We can accept Cashiers Check drawn on a US bank in US currency. Your Bank will know how to do this. When check clears We will ship. Please make all Payments out to Moon Audio. We can accept Western Union as well. Wire Transfers only on orders over $250.
Thank you.
Drew Baird
Moon Audio
308 Chrismill Lane
Holly Springs, NC 27540
919-649-5018
drubrew@earthlink.net
http://www.moon-audio.com

Jun 23, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #33 of 46
As I understand it, Black Dragon is the best cable, followed by Blue and then Silver?

What kind of adapters is he referring to there?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
In my opinion the changes are subtle overall. A cable swap won't make the Senn 650 sound like a Grado RS1 for instance. It can shift aspects of the Senn 650 in a positive or negative way though.

A direct A/B comparison is worthless. Audio memory is too short and only a large shift in response would be noticable by swapping to and from. The only way I find reliable is to build a playlist and listen to it with one piece and take notes describing what you hear, then repeat the process with piece two. Then compare your notes to find the differences. Take notes of real things, like placement, volume of instruments compared to each other, blackness, visceral impact and such. Your notes will tell you what character each piece adds to the mix.

Good advice.

Jul 12, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #34 of 46
I'm about to pull the trigger on a re-cabled 701 from Moon and wondered if anyone else had heard it or if Arnold had some more to say about the combo now that he's had time to listen some more.

Jul 12, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #35 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
They should be shaking already. I prefer the K701 with stock cable to the 650

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So $550, orrr you could add a couple hundred and get one of the best headphones ever made, the K1000
very_evil_smiley.gif

Yeah. I'd say K701 > HD600 > HD650, honestly. The veil is just too much for me, and the HD650 seems to have the most prevalent case of it. As to the K1000 argument, it depends upon musical taste. I haven't heard anything I didn't like with the K701, but the K1000's honesty can hurt my ears on harsher recordings. This can be remedied, of course, with the right amping, but I'm not honestly sure it's worth the effort, since 90% of songs sound great to me with them.

Jul 13, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #36 of 46
Mucho siblance with the 701? How to effectly reduce or eliminate it? Or will burn-in do its job? I just experience a tad bit in Breaking Benjamin - So Cold

Jul 14, 2006 at 1:13 PM Post #37 of 46
Well its done. I pulled the trigger on a single sided entry Black Dragon recabled AKG 701
eek.gif
Guessing it should arrive in 2 weeks or so give or take. Look forward to giving Team AKG a go and hope Black Dragon synergises well with it. /e crosses fingers
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #38 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by EternalShadow
Mucho siblance with the 701? How to effectly reduce or eliminate it? Or will burn-in do its job? I just experience a tad bit in Breaking Benjamin - So Cold

My Setup, to my ear with the (150 hour break in) AGK-701s follows:

1.With amplifier choice: Headfive.
a) Slightly rolled off high freqs maybe? Bass seemed flabby w/HD-650s returned them, to find 701s to be wonderful in terms of tighter bass notes, clarity of mid range vocals and cleaner highs all brought forward... Out from behind a sonic veil in comparision to the HD-650s (which I decided to try because I detest sibilance or any to mucho treble/highs)in my set up, to my ear!!!

2.With tube pre-amp choice: Foreplay with ALL Bottlehead upgrades.(And HUGE Caps)
a) With EI Gold Pin 12AU7.
1. Functional to switch between my sourced music from SACD and Squeezeplay.
2. Outputs to home set up digital amplifiers and Headfive.
3. Also tames the high freq characteristics in both the digital amps and my Klispch speakers .
4. As with my home setup, I find an increased expansive soundstage with more air, dynamics and deeper impactful bass in the musics presentation.

3. With source: A "Good" Choice:
a)Sony SCD CE-595
b) Squeezeplay

4. With music choice and its recording.
a) I believe some musical presentations will always be an issue on occasion with certain notes at certain volumes with most revealing & resolute Hi-Fiedility gears. However, all things being equal in my set up this occurance of sibilance, is becoming less of an issue and also, less frequently, as burn in progresses with my same recordings .

5.With cables: Presently no name interconnects.
a) I am told this is the last bit of fine tuning (as it should be) used to refine and address the last bit (1%-5%?) of a tweak to sonics; which to my mind/budget would necessitate A/B auditions. At maybe a mini meet?

Hopefully, these shared observations and experiences of both myself and my gears sonics evolution will prove helpful to the reader.

P.S. Much more could be said; However, I am ill so I return my attention to the pleasing melodies... ;-}

Jul 14, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #39 of 46
Quote:

Well its done. I pulled the trigger on a single sided entry Black Dragon recabled AKG 701
eek.gif
Guessing it should arrive in 2 weeks or so give or take. Look forward to giving Team AKG a go and hope Black Dragon synergises well with it. /e crosses fingers
biggrin.gif

I'll be keeping an eye out for ya, since that's probably the option I'd go for myself if I ever do this thing...

Aug 14, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by billinkansas
Arnold-

Thanks for your report and your impressions.

I've found the K701's to be a little "thicker" than realistic, and lacking the lively realism of the K501. With the laws of physics in place in a live performance, all acoustic music rolls off in the bass. Even huge pipe organs do - they're designed to. All instruments grow in power and gain fundamental as the pitch ascends due to the relative scale of the instrument body, string thickness, etc. To me, the stock K701's try too hard to bloom the midbass in an unnatural way - not quite as much as the HD650, and in a little different range. Soooo - I found that an easy mod to the K701's was to swap pads with the K501. The 701's "thin out" just a bit in a natural way, and come alive in the upper mids just a bit, to me at least.

WOW, I finally had the chance to pick up a pair on 501 pads and try the mod...I'm shocked! I love the change in sound...it may have a little less bass but it has much better control and more of the 501 magic in the mids...the bass also tends to intrude on the mids less. Also seems to have a more natural perception of depth now. I'll need to spend more time listening...but this is a must for the folks who loved the 501 but moved to the 701 to get a little bit 'more'...

Oct 29, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #41 of 46
Quote:

eek.gif
biggrin.gif

So whatever happened here with this?

Anyone else take a shot?

Oct 31, 2006 at 2:04 PM Post #43 of 46
I was using my Black Dragon headphone cables with the Audio Note Lexus LX ICs, and the combination sounded lovely. I recently switched to Audio Note AN-V silver cable and these are supurb (better than lovely). They bring greater detail without any brightness and the warmth of the Black Dragon's shines through.

I wonder if it would be possible to use this IC wire in a headphone cable? It would not be cheap, as a 1M IC costs about $450-$500, now.

Oct 31, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #44 of 46
I, too, am interested in a wider range of reactions to these cables. The few who have tried it here have reviews that range from "obvious" to "subtle." and something tells me that a whole lot depends on the sensitivity of your gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back