Mod Music Hall or buy modded 222es?
Mar 15, 2004 at 4:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

bundee1

Headphoneus Supremus
I want a little more bass and fullness out of my system so Im thinking of doing 1 of 2 things:

Mod my Music Hall MMF CD 25 for $400

or

Sell my Music Hall and spend $600 on a modded 222es.

Can anyone who has heard these units help me out?

Mar 15, 2004 at 11:49 AM Post #2 of 21
HI: From my talk with the owner of music hall the Mod my Music Hall MMF CD 25 for $400f music hall is a great source and from what I have read the 222 is not as good.

Mar 15, 2004 at 12:29 PM Post #3 of 21
In my brief audition, I found the Music Hall slightly on the bright side, and a bit light in the lower regions, as you seem to. This was a stock unit though, so I can't comment on the results after modding.

Do you want SACD? Do you mind a changer?

I have never heard the 222ES, but I really like what Matthew (SACDmods) did with my NS755V. Everything improved considerably from stock after the mods were done. Sony has a newer model out, the DVP-NC555ES, that may be more easily available than the now-discontinued 222ES. Matthew also mods this new model, and it is also on his webpage here. I've never heard that model either, but he seems to like it a lot, and there are one or two members here who already have modded units. Do a search for the review. FYI.

Mar 15, 2004 at 12:50 PM Post #4 of 21
I have heard both and owned a sacdmods 222es. Both are good sounding but I like the 222es a little better. In addition, you get the convenience of a changer with the 222es; not to mention sacd capability. If you really want a major improvement though get the sacdmods philips 963sa. This player is fitted with the zap filter output stage, and it has much better bass and a more open and involving sound. If you like changers the 222es is the way to go, there is none better short of the sacdmods 555es.

Mar 15, 2004 at 1:07 PM Post #5 of 21
HI: Tweeter still has some 222es fore sale. If your local store don't have one they can go on the puter and locate what store has on in stock.

Mar 15, 2004 at 1:14 PM Post #6 of 21
I might sell something and fund the Music Hall mod. Maybe my next step will be to get a tube integrated to sweeten the highs with my JM Labs Chorus 706's.

Mar 15, 2004 at 4:22 PM Post #7 of 21
You might want to consider selling your MH and buying a new one with mods (including clock upgrade) from Sound Odyssey for $645, shipped!!! You'll get a clock upgrade instead of Blackgates but it is much more substantial of a change, in my opinion.

I think a clock upgrade is too underlooked when mods are done. For $400 there better be a new clock in there because for the Parts Connexion and similar mods you're mostly paying for the labor (blackgates, diodes, opamps and rca jacks can't be more than ~$150).

If you do go the 222ES route, try to get the opamps changed to something like AD825s. The stock opamps keep the modded 222 from its full potential. Good luck.

Mar 15, 2004 at 4:24 PM Post #8 of 21
I haven't heard the modded 222ES, but have owned the parts connexion level 1+ CD25. The modded CD25 has an amazing value to it. I preferred it over the parts connexion level 1 Jolida JD100. Sound quality wise, it's about the same as a stock Shanling CDT100 and is very close to my Meridian 508.24. Given the price of the latter 3 players all costing much more than the modded CD25, I think the modded CD25 is a total steal.

Mar 15, 2004 at 6:07 PM Post #9 of 21
Originally posted by stryker
You might want to consider selling your MH and buying a new one with mods (including clock upgrade) from Sound Odyssey for $645, shipped!!! You'll get a clock upgrade instead of Blackgates but it is much more substantial of a change, in my opinion.

I think a clock upgrade is too underlooked when mods are done. For $400 there better be a new clock in there because for the Parts Connexion and similar mods you're mostly paying for the labor (blackgates, diodes, opamps and rca jacks can't be more than ~$150).

I was going to mention this as well since the sacdmods players have the clock upgrade. The clock upgrade makes a big difference. With the sacdmods you are paying more for parts and less for labor. I still think the best upgrade you can do is adding a zap filter, but the clock is the second most important upgrade, IMO.

Mar 16, 2004 at 12:50 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Xeno7651
I haven't heard the modded 222ES, but have owned the parts connexion level 1+ CD25. The modded CD25 has an amazing value to it. I preferred it over the parts connexion level 1 Jolida JD100. Sound quality wise, it's about the same as a stock Shanling CDT100 and is very close to my Meridian 508.24. Given the price of the latter 3 players all costing much more than the modded CD25, I think the modded CD25 is a total steal.

I agree. I had the 1+ mods on my CD25 and it's a steal at the going rate. Better than the Rega planet 2K and as good or better than the Jupitor 2K. The mods turn the CD25 into a very smooth player with plenty of weight. If you like your stock CD25, upgrade you will get a super CD25. I liked it better than the SS output of my Shanling CDP with the mods.

Mar 16, 2004 at 4:11 AM Post #11 of 21
Mod it is. Whats the turnaround time and how was shipping?

Mar 16, 2004 at 4:25 AM Post #12 of 21
HI:
I called Sound Odyssey today and the guy said that they are waiting fore more music hall CD players in about 2 weeks. I told the guy to call me when he has the CD player modded to level 1 fore 645.00 shipped. I think I will buy it because from what I have read and heard on the phone from a few places that the modded level 1 music hall sounds just great.

Mar 16, 2004 at 5:24 AM Post #13 of 21
Lu,

Hope you will enjoy it and please post your comments on it when you can. Brice personally delivered my Jolida JD-100 to me today (he lives not too far away) so I can vouch for his customer service!So far I'm impressed with his apparent mix of products and mods that are great values for the money.

So far, the tube sound is much better than I thought and am impressed by the buld quality of the Jolida. Right off the bat, the sound rivals my sacdmods 222 but with that tube signature on the sound. I'll have to feel out this new presentation for a few days.
cool.gif

Mar 17, 2004 at 4:39 AM Post #15 of 21
i haven't heard of the 222es, but i recently got the LC Audio XO3 clock installed in mine with about 24 hours of burn in....like everyone else here, I feel that the CD25 is truly an amazing machine for the money. w/ the clock mod and the level 1+, this machine is truly unbeatable for the money. if you have 400 to blow at the moment, i would save up a bit more, and get the level 1+ with the clock and custom power supply upgrade for the CD25 - - you won't regret it! Hope this helps!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back