Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Apr 10, 2024 at 7:10 AM Post #2,791 of 2,941
Planning to order in the next round and confused on working out how the amp usage is calculated.

If I have a DAC that can output 6V (dCS Bartok) and then using the Schiit MJOLNIR

the MJOLNIR has mixed reviews on not being 'ideal' for the Tungsten, but can it become good if I feed it with a DAC that outputs 6V vs standard 2V?

Apr 10, 2024 at 8:50 AM Post #2,792 of 2,941
Planning to order in the next round and confused on working out how the amp usage is calculated.

If I have a DAC that can output 6V (dCS Bartok) and then using the Schiit MJOLNIR

the MJOLNIR has mixed reviews on not being 'ideal' for the Tungsten, but can it become good if I feed it with a DAC that outputs 6V vs standard 2V?

You just need to find out the max output voltage of the Mjolnir @ 150ohm. That figure won’t change no matter how much voltage you input into it. That output voltage squared, divided by 150, gives you the wattage at that load level. But it’s enough to just know that max voltage. If it’s above 20v you’d be great for any use case with lots of headroom. Less than 10v won’t work. In between depends on your music, preference, and how much headroom you want to have (more is better; I’d really not go below 15v and, personally, would recommend 20v).

Now, in some amps, if you feed them low voltage, say 1-2v, their gain (the factor bg how much any input voltage they receive is multiplied) will simply not reach the max voltage they can handle (even on their high gain setting if they have one), so higher input voltage can help. Not so common but happens. But nothing will change the max voltage that an amp can handle, so start there first to figure out if it’s a fit on that end.

All the above said, synergy is a different matter and you may or may not like a specific amp with the Tungsten (and in your chain). I personally didn’t much like the Mjolnir with it, but it’s subjective. Your taste may differ.

Apr 10, 2024 at 9:10 AM Post #2,793 of 2,941
You just need to find out the max output voltage of the Mjolnir @ 150ohm. That figure won’t change no matter how much voltage you input into it. That output voltage squared, divided by 150, gives you the wattage at that load level. But it’s enough to just know that max voltage. If it’s above 20v you’d be great for any use case with lots of headroom. Less than 10v won’t work. In between depends on your music, preference, and how much headroom you want to have (more is better; I’d really not go below 15v and, personally, would recommend 20v).

Now, in some amps, if you feed them low voltage, say 1-2v, their gain (the factor bg how much any input voltage they receive is multiplied) will simply not reach the max voltage they can handle (even on their high gain setting if they have one), so higher input voltage can help. Not so common but happens. But nothing will change the max voltage that an amp can handle, so start there first to figure out if it’s a fit on that end.

All the above said, synergy is a different matter and you may or may not like a specific amp with the Tungsten (and in your chain). I personally didn’t much like the Mjolnir with it, but it’s subjective. Your taste may differ.
thanks for the detailed reply, I guess I will hope I get an order in, then deal with any problems if I have any after they arrive! doesnt sound like its going to be a 'totally useless' starting point at least

Apr 10, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #2,794 of 2,941
Those of you who have decided to buy this headphone but your reflexes aren't A+, stop torturing yourselves endlessly get it from Mimic and be over with.

On a personal note, my eyes agree with Mimic custom choices too. I like the soothe/filling black-purple contrast more than the other combos :thumbsup:

Apr 10, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #2,796 of 2,941

I just requested a cancellation — can no longer justify the wait, cost, gear upgrades, and drip-fed communication. I'll probably save for a Caldera down the road. Good luck all!
Tungsten is a boutique product. Waiting time is absolutely normal in this case. You’re getting something very special and unique. But of cause it’s not for everyone.

Apr 11, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #2,798 of 2,941
Does anyone know if it's possible to order just the mounting rings for the pads?
I reached out to Ryan a few days ago, but can't really expect to get an answer, he must be flooded with messages.

Apr 11, 2024 at 11:36 AM Post #2,799 of 2,941
Does anyone know if it's possible to order just the mounting rings for the pads?
I reached out to Ryan a few days ago, but can't really expect to get an answer, he must be flooded with messages.
He will usually answer within a few days, give him some time

Apr 13, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #2,800 of 2,941
one of those produced in recent days...

1713025336509.png

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #2,801 of 2,941
Apr 14, 2024 at 1:40 AM Post #2,803 of 2,941
So will November orders ship soon?

Ryan from what I hear is working non stop to fulfill orders so progress is being made.

And I really hope that becouse I am on the queue too 🤓

Apr 14, 2024 at 11:39 PM Post #2,804 of 2,941
Tungsten is a boutique product. Waiting time is absolutely normal in this case. You’re getting something very special and unique. But of cause it’s not for everyone.
We realize there is a wait time…. It is normal….however…. Being lied to about lead time and virtually zero communication is not absolutely normal!

Apr 15, 2024 at 2:15 AM Post #2,805 of 2,941
We realize there is a wait time…. It is normal….however…. Being lied to about lead time and virtually zero communication is not absolutely normal!
I doubt he lied, there's no point, he more like miscalculated lead times, as for the zero communication, doesn't bother me if he let's me know it will be 1 or 2 months or whenever, makes no difference knowing as long as he is getting them out it's fine.

When I ordered mine I had already given it at least 6 months until I get mine, this was in early December.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back