Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Apr 6, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #2,778 of 2,966
Yea, it edges the Susvara out with timbre. That's its main strength overall, in addition to a balanced sound.. albeit with a darker tone than average. A bit better subbass was the only opportunity on my end, and that's with a 300b amp in my chain. But it didn't strike me as really deficient. But would agree, the Susvara properly powered has better subbass. I didn't sense a major sense of impact/slam, but that's something I'll look for if I try them again in the future.

I now have the Valkyria, which is much more expensive. I would say tonally and overall presentation wise, the Tungsten felt like a less refined/TOTL version of it. Similar tone and presentation, and both have similar bass presentations--which could be a bit better but are sufficient for the music I listen to through headphones.
I tried the Valkyria a few times. It doesn’t seem to work with rock music or anything that’s not natural. But if you play Jazz, classical, or live music it sounds amazing. But its price tag is too high for a headphone that should work as an all rounder.

Apr 6, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #2,779 of 2,966
Mimic-Audio just replied to my email about the how long the lead times are now, and they are at 25 weeks. I placed my order on December 19th.
Basically the same for me. I ordered 1/5. I told them no worries and that I will wait. TJ at Mimic is very fast to respond. I wouldn’t hesitate to deal with them for other items in the future.

Apr 6, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #2,780 of 2,966
I waited too long for the Tungsten and became bored so I ended up buying a Susvara. Then the wait was even longer so I got a ZMF Bokeh. If this keep delaying I might end up buying a ZMF Caldera too. They need to hurry up before I run out of money!

:deadhorse:

Apr 6, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #2,781 of 2,966
I waited too long for the Tungsten and became bored so I ended up buying a Susvara. Then the wait was even longer so I got a ZMF Bokeh. If this keep delaying I might end up buying a ZMF Caldera too. They need to hurry up before I run out of money!

:deadhorse:
I did the same with the susvara 😎

Apr 6, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #2,782 of 2,966
I tried the Valkyria a few times. It doesn’t seem to work with rock music or anything that’s not natural. But if you play Jazz, classical, or live music it sounds amazing. But its price tag is too high for a headphone that should work as an all rounder.

Doesn't work as in due to bass, or for another reason? But I'd get it.

For me, most headphones aren't true all rounders, and generally speaking they don't reproduce bass well. So I listen to jazz, classical, acoustic, old school soul, female vocal heavy (pop, soul, alternative), etc. Heavy rock, hip hop, etc., all far better from speakers than any of my headphones or any I've owned, so that's what I use them with.

Apr 6, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #2,783 of 2,966
Doesn't work as in due to bass, or for another reason? But I'd get it.

For me, most headphones aren't true all rounders, and generally speaking they don't reproduce bass well. So I listen to jazz, classical, acoustic, old school soul, female vocal heavy (pop, soul, alternative), etc. Heavy rock, hip hop, etc., all far better from speakers than any of my headphones or any I've owned, so that's what I use them with.
It doesn’t work as in it seems the guitars sound like an alien instrument or something. It’s more of a timbre issue.

Apr 6, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #2,784 of 2,966
What happened to the vented adapter that the DS are supposed to ship with?
As I’ve seen some people mention that a air gap increases bass (as also shown with resolves measurements) it would be quite nice to have this option.
Did anybody receive their DS with the adapter? Can you get some from MH?

Apr 6, 2024 at 6:53 PM Post #2,785 of 2,966
What happened to the vented adapter that the DS are supposed to ship with?
As I’ve seen some people mention that a air gap increases bass (as also shown with resolves measurements) it would be quite nice to have this option.
Did anybody receive their DS with the adapter? Can you get some from MH?
He's still working on revisions of it, from my talks with him in the past week. He's doing some testing and waiting on some impressions.

Apr 7, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #2,787 of 2,966
DS Tungstens have finally arrived.
Obviously it will take a week or two to let both them and myself get "burned in", but the first impressions are definitely positive.
Over the years I have attempted to upgrade my Shipibo modded HE-6, but sadly to no avail. Purchased Susvara twice on two different setups - they were obviously better, with great technical level, but sadly I didn't love the tuning and found the staging subpar, so I barely used them. LCD5 and Expanse disappointed me on every level. I liked the 1266 tc, but had comfort issues and they weren't really designed for listening while lying on the bed. T+A Solitaire P were great on a technical level, but with timbre that could be described as repulsive. To this day, I don't know if that unit was broken or if this is what "neutral" truly sounds like. Whatever it is, I don't want it.

So the Tungstens have a very tough task ahead of them - but if I don't fall in love, I'll sell them and maybe try to get Immanis. As far as my preferences go, I mostly want a massive soundstage; beautiful, natural timbre; smooth yet sparkly treble and a bit overly eager low end.
The first few hours are promising. Tungstens offer a balanced presentation on a high technical level with very good clarity, lots of detail, good width and great depth. The sound feels unobstructed, airy, flowing - what I mean is that You don't have this effect of enclosed sound like for example in Audeze headphones. I've tried electronic music, classic rock, blues, metal, ambient, classical orchestral, chamber and they handled it all really well. I'd say electronic was the only one I didn't really love and the reason will be listed below.
If You're one of the people who like having only one pair of headphones (like me) and listen to a variety of genres (again, like me), I'd say they are a very strong contender. I've seen the claims, that they are overly neutral. After my Solitaire P adventure, I don't really know if that is the case. I can definitely say they aren't solitaire p levels of neutral and therefore are much more enjoyable to listen to.

As for the things I don't love (not necessarily objectively bad):
  • The timbre feels a bit "duller" than I enjoy. It's not bad by any means, just lacking that final 2%.
  • I wish the sound was a bit bigger. I don't just mean thick and lush (like meze empyrean) - I mean that the imaginary instruments, when I close my eyes, are a bit too small.
  • I prefer tuning where headphones have slightly more bass than they should, with defined slam and great extension. Tungstens do it more "by the book", but aren't on the technical level of Susvara.
  • The treble feels mostly sparkly yet smooth, but there are moments where some of the sounds get a bit too metallic/bright dry. It's that effect which forces me to lower the volume of the entire song based on two random notes that become unbearable and painful and feel like they were boosted by 5-10db or something. I suspect it might be due to drivers needing a bit of a burn in period. Cable might also be at fault. Or not, we shall see.
Are they a Susvara/1266 alternative? So far I don't think so, they seem to be just a step below. Probably around the level of something like Caldera. It's been a while since I've heard the Erzetich Charybdis, but to my ears they are better than those - and I think Charybdis are really good for their price. And let's be real, Sus and 1266TC are not for everyone and they are significantly more expensive. So the Tungstens seem more than reasonable at their current MSRP.
So far I still prefer my modded HE-6, but Tungstens only have a couple of hours under the belt and should become better after ... 100h? I'm also waiting for the DHC Prion adapter, so that I could use it with both cans. In my experience, those two changes could potentially solve most, maybe even all of the aforementioned issues. So I'm definitely positive and hopeful.

I need to disclose that my hearing hasn't been great as of late. Covid followed by sinusitis really affected it quite a bit - I still have slight tinnitus and hear certain high frequencies from completely wrong spots. So take whatever I say with a grain of salt.
Can you specify what is the Shipibo mod for he6 exactly?

Apr 8, 2024 at 4:36 AM Post #2,788 of 2,966
Can you specify what is the Shipibo mod for he6 exactly?
The only remaining part from the original he-6 are the 4 screw drivers and maybe the metal in the headband. So I guess it's a lot. Wooden Cups, different shape, mini XLRs, magnetic pads, fuzzors, vents in the cups, placing drivers further from the ear ... quite a bit. The result is my favourite tuning of all times.
Of course on a subjective level, they are far from reference. The sound lacks precision, clarity and technical ability of top cans like Susvara, but I don't think I would want to change a single thing in the signature- just more quality. And that's what I'm looking for in all in all of the new cans. I guess I'm similar to people who can't sell HD600/650, because they can't find that special thing anywhere else.

My favourite so far would be 1266 TC in a very specific position on my head, specific distance from my ear(there has to be a small gap) with a very specific pad placement - similar signature to modded HE-6 and the technical level was certainly higher. If I could get that sound in a traditional, comfortable form factor ( like Hifiman or Meze ) it'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Tungstens have that higher quality, more resolution, more precision. If I can find the right combination of gear, pads and cable, they might just be the ones. But so far, like I've mentioned, I still have some subjective issues - hopefully the hybrid pads and different cable will solve them.

Apr 9, 2024 at 11:55 PM Post #2,789 of 2,966
Does anyone has any idea where we can get the grills zeos and dms use for the Tungsten?

Apr 10, 2024 at 12:15 AM Post #2,790 of 2,966
Does anyone has any idea where we can get the grills zeos and dms use for the Tungsten?

DMS 3D printed his own grills. Ryan made some custom ones for Zeos, I thought?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back