Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Apr 2, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #2,731 of 3,025
Annoying him? Ryan is not doing these "annoying" people a favor by giving them a free headphone, these are paying customers that payed in advance for a very expensive product that where promised said product by a given date that he himself gave and has failed to fulfill in several occasions now.

These kind of comments really make me wish there was a dislike button in this forum.
Fully agree.
A (MAJOR) part of such a business would be customer support.
I would like to receive some notice from Ryan and know when to expect my order and should he expect further delays.
That's the bare minimum to ask.

Apr 2, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #2,732 of 3,025
Annoying him? Ryan is not doing these "annoying" people a favor by giving them a free headphone, these are paying customers that payed in advance for a very expensive product that where promised said product by a given date that he himself gave and has failed to fulfill in several occasions now.

These kind of comments really make me wish there was a dislike button in this forum.
While I totally agree on the part that Ryan gave people a certain time they have to wait and he’s over it by almost double which is super annoying, we still have to keep in mind it’s a one man show.
He probably made this headphone more or less for himself and for others to buy, without expecting the sales to blow up as they did.

He could and should increase his Communication with his customers imo and update waiting time.
A list which order he currently is working At would be nice too.
But we as the customers should still be patient and not text him everyday about the status of our orders.

Everyone knew it would be a long wait and that it’s one single man doing all the work.

Ryan miscalculated his abilities to fulfill orders which is annoying but it happens.

It’s now on him to make things straight, update the lead time, maybe give an update to customers and implement a order list like many suggested ZMF already has.

But being angry at him seems kind of unfair too imo

Apr 2, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #2,733 of 3,025
That's a lot of conclusions without actually having auditioned the Tungstens.

I auditioned the Tungstens, and was also incredibly disappointed.

Apr 2, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #2,734 of 3,025
Happens, not everyone likes every headphone.
There are people who were dissappointed in the Sennheiser HE1 as well.

That's why it's important to always audition first, if possible

Apr 2, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #2,735 of 3,025
Well, I am sorry to hear it, but not sure what that has to do with me or with the post I reacted to where someone concluded the Tungstens are not for him without actually auditioning it.

Apr 2, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #2,736 of 3,025
While I totally agree on the part that Ryan gave people a certain time they have to wait and he’s over it by almost double which is super annoying, we still have to keep in mind it’s a one man show.
He probably made this headphone more or less for himself and for others to buy, without expecting the sales to blow up as they did.

He could and should increase his Communication with his customers imo and update waiting time.
A list which order he currently is working At would be nice too.
But we as the customers should still be patient and not text him everyday about the status of our orders.

Everyone knew it would be a long wait and that it’s one single man doing all the work.

Ryan miscalculated his abilities to fulfill orders which is annoying but it happens.

It’s now on him to make things straight, update the lead time, maybe give an update to customers and implement a order list like many suggested ZMF already has.

But being angry at him seems kind of unfair too imo
I agree, consideration should be taken given the circumstances and yes, everybody that knows about this very niche and boutique headphone already knows that there was going to be a wait.

I'm just taking issue with the person I was replying to and his comment, if you're dealing with clients that are buying stuff from you, specially very expensive stuff, you're going to be dealing with problems and if you don't want to deal with "annoying" people "complaining" they haven't gotten the product they where suppose to get by now months ago, then don't get into this business, simple as. I'm just hope to God this person it's not in any position that's anywhere near customer support or service.

I know Ryan it's not like and he's doing the best he can, but better communication at this point is a must given the current situation with repeatedly failing to meet deliveries on time.

Apr 2, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #2,737 of 3,025
What was the chain in which you audition the Tungstens on?

Apr 2, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #2,738 of 3,025
People are really focused on the amplifiers for the Tungsten they tend to forget the biggest component of sound quality is the DAC. The amplifier does just that, amplify a signal. But if the signal is dry or inadequate, that gets amplified as well. For most mid fi cans, that setup is fine but for TOTL cans any weakness in the chain will make the experience horrible.

At least for me, upgrading the DAC provided a bigger change in sound quality than amplifier.
In terms of Schiit products, I rank it Magni Unity < Bifrost < Lyr 3 < jot2 < MJ3 < Yggy. That’s after switching back and forth and mixing up the chains.

The BiFrost may be better than many DACs of the same price point out there, but it gave the illusion that the amps are of the same tier. The other Schiit amps perform much better with the Yggy. The upgrade was like 2-3 levels up.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #2,739 of 3,025
Well, I am sorry to hear it, but not sure what that has to do with me or with the post I reacted to where someone concluded the Tungstens are not for him without actually auditioning it.
Again, impossible in my situation and where I live to audition everything, if anything, I have to go for reviews and other peoples word of mouth and come to a decision with what I have. If your situation it's different, then by all means, audition everything you can before pulling the trigger on it.

In my particular situation, I would had to get a new amp to run Tungsten properly which entails even more expenditure which starts to sour me in particular regarding the value proposition that Tungsten supposedly brings to the table, again, at least in my particular situation, YMMV.

Apr 2, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #2,740 of 3,025
I think a little communication from Ryan is all people need. I own a business and even if the news is not good….I always keep my customers in great communication about what is happening. That keeps people content…. But we all have gotten one email from him saying things are slower than anticipated but without a real update to the time people should expect. I did send one email asking for a time update and his reply looks to be far from accurate. I would say that my email to him is far from harassing or annoying from my end!

Apr 2, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #2,741 of 3,025
Again, impossible in my situation and where I live to audition everything, if anything, I have to go for reviews and other peoples word of mouth and come to a decision with what I have. If your situation it's different, then by all means, audition everything you can before pulling the trigger on it.

In my particular situation, I would had to get a new amp to run Tungsten properly which entails even more expenditure which starts to sour me in particular regarding the value proposition that Tungsten supposedly brings to the table, again, at least in my particular situation, YMMV.
Yes, you already said that. I was reacting to texx2818's comment this time.

Apr 2, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #2,742 of 3,025
While I’m desperately waiting for these, I understand the delay. I ordered in Feb so hell it could be end of summer before I get them.

However Ryan is WAY behind and his est delivery on the website is frankly pathetic.

He knows by now a decent estimate on numbers for a week and probably a month, even considering Can Jam appearances….assuming he does attended.

I know he wants to dedicate as much time as possible to making, but communicating when you’re so far behind IS important.

Most will understand when it’s just him, but a kickstarter funding I have is 4 months late, but they have at least communicated very well, explained and give reasonably accurate dates and it didn’t cost $1500

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 7:18 PM Post #2,743 of 3,025
I'm just hope to God this person it's not in any position that's anywhere near customer support or service.
Software developer, and I sometimes have to work with customers. Emailing on an issue over and over does no good as that takes time out of the day I'm trying to get the actual work done. I'm not saying nobody should be emailing him but if all of us start emailing him asking for updates all of the time that can't be positive.

Apr 2, 2024 at 7:19 PM Post #2,744 of 3,025
Software developer, and I sometimes have to work with customers. Emailing on an issue over and over does no good as that takes time out of the day I'm trying to get the actual work done. I'm not saying nobody should be emailing him but if all of us start emailing him asking for updates all of the time that can't be positive.
But when there's no communication, what other resort does a consumer have?

Apr 2, 2024 at 7:27 PM Post #2,745 of 3,025
People have been very understanding of Ryan's situation, at least in this forum because they know he's a small, boutique operation and they have been conscious of not pestering him with never ending emails every single day, but not having an update on your order for weeks on end it's not acceptable and if you find that annoying, then I hope that your contact with customers it's as minimal as possible inside the company you work for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back